This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Im new to SSBB....and have questions about online..

#1Dimon101Posted 4/30/2012 7:48:45 PM
im afraid if i go online i get my butt kicked badly....so..any tips for a newbie that wants to play online ..perhaps with some easy fights with someone or with someone? I just got this game btw..apparently i bought the last new copy at a gamestop..but meh...it was cheaper than this other game i wanted to buy...and i did like ssbm on gc.
---
"What's with the Hand-Nose thing?" ~ Wein Cruz talking about Hans from Growlanser Generations
#2Muffinz0rzPosted 4/30/2012 8:18:24 PM(edited)
I want to preface this post by saying that if you play the online modes that match you with random people, you have nothing to fear with regards to getting your butt kicked. 99% of the people there are scrubs.

Online is most likely nothing like what you're probably expecting it to be. There are no profiles, no ranking, or anything of that nature. The only thing even remotely close to that is friend codes, which are pretty simple; exchange codes with people and play with them directly.

As for everything aside from friend codes, here's what you have: Basic Brawl, Team Battle, and Spectator Mode.

Basic Brawl: 1v1v1v1, you're matched up with (up to) three other randoms in a two-minute free for all. Everyone chooses their own stage, but one of the four is chosen randomly (to my knowledge), the same applies for preferred item settings; for example, you could have items on high and everyone else could have them off, but there's a 25% chance that the game will choose your setting.
-One thing to mention about Basic Brawl: they are filled with "taunt parties," people who like to screw around and not actually fight. Be wary of these parties; while they are fun, if you try to fight in a taunt party, the other people will most likely gang up on you. An easy way to tell if you're in a taunt party: as soon as the match starts, stand still for a second and observe everyone else. If they taunt, run around, or don't actually attack each other, you've (obviously) got a taunt party.

Team Battle: Pretty much everything is the same with Basic Brawl except it's 2v2. And to my knowledge, taunt parties are much less common here. If you're looking for some fun competition, this is actually a good place to look.

Friend codes: If you check out the online board here, you'll find lots of people looking for brawls. However, people who exchange friend codes are usually good, so you may want to practice on some Basic Brawl scrubs first.

Spectator mode: Bet coins on (I think pre-recorded?) matches. Waste of time unless you're unbelievably bored. To be quite honest, I would willingly do schoolwork before choosing spectator mode, hah.

Happy Brawling.
---
Not changing this sig until Pat Benatar is in Super Smash Bros. (Started 8/31/2010)
Also, Official Ampharos of the B/W Boards Clan.
#3Dimon101(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2012 5:48:45 PM
thanks for the information..after reading this i tried a 2v2 battle and my team won. I was playing as yoshi (my favorite character from SSBM) and they were link. Anyways, it is fun. See you online as random!
---
"What's with the Hand-Nose thing?" ~ Wein Cruz talking about Hans from Growlanser Generations
#4kirbymastahPosted 5/3/2012 3:18:41 PM
if you want to do well online, just go MK.