Too Human may not quite hit the "rare" status any time soon....

#1S ForgelPosted 2/25/2013 2:42:41 AM
.... but it will be one of the easier games to pick up for a song while stores like Gamestop are clearing out their remaining stock.

I see the future rarity issue of "Too Human" like this:

1) At a time and era in video game history where there are multiple ways (consoles) to play a game, "Too Human" is a title that is exclusive to the XBox 360. Due to the efforts that were made to keep it an X360 exclusive, that will make it even more scarce in the future because it was only made to play on one console.

2) The game easily falls within the "love it / hate" category as there seems to be almost equal amounts of game players who "loved it" or "hated it", unlike the Atari 2600 game "E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial" which was "hated" by most game players who actually played it back in the day.

3) Unlike the previously mentioned "E.T." game for the Atari 2600, "Too Human" is not being dumped into a landfill because of too many unsold copies of the game; the copies are to be destroyed because of a court order from a North Carolina Judge.

4) Since all games stop being produced at some point, the same is the case for "Too Human". The only difference is that ALL copies of the game are supposed to be recalled and destroyed by Silicon Knights so if they actually make good on their efforts to follow the court order, you can bet that this game will become scarce. (Although I'm not betting on that happening any time soon, if at all.)

We'll just wait and see what happens.

Until then, I'll just sit on the three sealed copies of the game I bought for $5 each.
---
BLeU - Born: ???? Died: 7/18/12 Rest In Peace my little friend.
#2MattheauPosted 2/25/2013 12:45:07 PM
Too Human isn't going to be any more or less rare than any other game that had a similar number of copies produced.

Why? Because it's standard practice to recall and destroy unsold copies of games, CDs, DVDs, etc after a certain point. Too Human was already out long enough that most of the unsold copies were already recalled. There were only a handful of copies still floating around.

All the ruling says is that they need to do something that was already done for completely different reasons.
#3S Forgel(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 11:34:07 PM
Mattheau posted...
Too Human isn't going to be any more or less rare than any other game that had a similar number of copies produced.

Why? Because it's standard practice to recall and destroy unsold copies of games, CDs, DVDs, etc after a certain point. Too Human was already out long enough that most of the unsold copies were already recalled. There were only a handful of copies still floating around.

All the ruling says is that they need to do something that was already done for completely different reasons.

You're correct about standard practice within the entertainment industry to recall and destroy unsold product, whether it be software, music or even toys.

The thing that sets "Too Human" apart from something that is simply recalled and later destroyed is that there will never be a chance to play the game (at least through official means) on any other system ever.

They will also never re-release the game in HD, or part of a collector's set or even port it to another platform because the game engine is what needed to be destroyed, not the game content such as storyline, etc.

Now if "Too Human" gets re-made with a whole new game engine, the title would then be considered a different game altogether, all because it was made completely from scratch.

Take for example the game "X-Blades". This game was released on the PC, PS3 and XBox a few years ago, around 2005-6. Since then, the game was re-made and re-titled as "Blades Of Time:", with a lot of changes being made to the overall game engine, graphics and even storyline. However, the basic plot is still the exact same, but with a more 'serious' and 'believable' tone to it similar to how the franchise "Devil May Cry" has been re-booted as "DMC: Devil May Cry".

As you pointed out, the handful of copies that were still floating around will now sell out because any video game retailer (mainly Gamestop) would be inclined to sell them for any kind of amount until they "penny them out" ASAP.
---
#4MattheauPosted 3/2/2013 1:12:42 AM
S Forgel posted...
The thing that sets "Too Human" apart from something that is simply recalled and later destroyed is that there will never be a chance to play the game (at least through official means) on any other system ever.

They will also never re-release the game in HD, or part of a collector's set or even port it to another platform because the game engine is what needed to be destroyed, not the game content such as storyline, etc.

That doesn't set it apart, since virtually every other game ever made will never get another production run or be rereleased in any other form. Lots of source files for game engines have been destroyed, corrupted, or lost, as well.

Also, you are overlooking that used copies are not being destroyed. It's just as easy to get copies of Too Human as it is any other single production run game that is 5+ years old.
#5S Forgel(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 2:07:57 AM
Mattheau posted...
S Forgel posted...

That doesn't set it apart, since virtually every other game ever made will never get another production run or be rereleased in any other form. Lots of source files for game engines have been destroyed, corrupted, or lost, as well.

Also, you are overlooking that used copies are not being destroyed. It's just as easy to get copies of Too Human as it is any other single production run game that is 5+ years old.

The game "Too Human" for the XBox 360 has the dubious honor of being a game title that has to have 'all of the copies destroyed' as ordered by a judge.

You're right about the fact that used copies will be available but for how long? Also, finding it in brand new, factory sealed condition is very difficult now, especially since all Gamestop retail stores (the ones who at least had some left) were instructed by their corporate offices to open up all of the sealed games and mark them as "used".

"Too Human" may never reach cult status as some game titles that have been out there for a long time but it will be forever known as a title which not only underperformed (in more ways than one) but also might have helped put a game developer out of business due to their losing of the lawsuit.
---
#6Guirec730Posted 3/4/2013 8:28:05 AM
Just wait and see how Aliens: Colonial Marines turns out.

;)
---
Tell them to send the next most dangerous.
#7S Forgel(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 4:56:18 PM
Guirec730 posted...

;)

Why do you say that?

I've never played that game but I heard it was pushed back several times. Have you played it? Is it fun?
---
#8Guirec730Posted 3/7/2013 7:04:53 AM
S Forgel posted...
Guirec730 posted...

;)

Why do you say that?

I've never played that game but I heard it was pushed back several times. Have you played it? Is it fun?

Its development and marketing were handled duplicitiously and I expect lawsuits will result from it, which is why I referenced it.

I can say without hyperbole that it is the worst game I own, and one of the worst I've played on the system (Terminator Salvation is worse, off the top of my head). It takes a huge dump on the story of Aliens and it plays like a Quake II mod.

Rent if you are curious, but buy a six pack first.
---
#9S Forgel(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 4:32:58 AM
Guirec730 posted...
S Forgel posted...
Guirec730 posted...

;)

Why do you say that?

Its development and marketing were handled duplicitiously and I expect lawsuits will result from it, which is why I referenced it.

I can say without hyperbole that it is the worst game I own, and one of the worst I've played on the system (Terminator Salvation is worse, off the top of my head). It takes a huge dump on the story of Aliens and it plays like a Quake II mod.

Hmmmm..... What you say makes sense. But do you really expect lawsuits to occur from the mishandling of the franchise?

As for the six pack, I think I'll take on a medium sized bottle of Stoli Orange instead. The six pack (any brand) isn't strong enough. ;)
---
#10Guirec730Posted 3/9/2013 5:45:27 PM
S Forgel posted...
Guirec730 posted...
S Forgel posted...
Guirec730 posted...

;)

Why do you say that?

Hmmmm..... What you say makes sense. But do you really expect lawsuits to occur from the mishandling of the franchise?

As for the six pack, I think I'll take on a medium sized bottle of Stoli Orange instead. The six pack (any brand) isn't strong enough. ;)

It's more about the mishandling of the publishers money than the license, which is why it's similar to too human.
---