The Golden Age of Final Fantasy

#1DatariderPosted 1/20/2010 4:43:55 PM
Is it over, or is it still going strong?

Over the past couple years, the most common opinion I have encountered is that Final Fantasies IV through IX were the very best of the series, and that after the end of the PSX era, Final Fantasy began a sharp decline in quality with X through XII.

Personally, I feel that the PS2 era merely took the Final Fantasy series and made it better. I didn't really like XII, I'll admit, but I cannot deny that it was a well-made game. This is not to say the PSX entries were lacking, of course.

Moving on to the PS3, I have to say, I'm not too sure that I'll be jumping aboard the FFXIII bus too quickly, but I feel that, despite my own misgivings about this latest entry, the Final Fantasy series is still going strong. I also feel that, beginning with FFX, a new Final Fantasy era of games was begun, one in which each addition is truly different from the other.

And now, I'd like to hear your opinions about this. Is Final Fantasy still strong? Should the series be retired? Should there be changes made, or should the current trend of truly unique entries continue?

Please discuss!
#2ShinHakuIcePosted 1/20/2010 4:45:19 PM
...Whatever
#3MikkukanPosted 1/20/2010 4:45:24 PM
Coincidentally that's also when FF takes longer and longer for each release.

---
The MIKK Crest - mess with the best, die like the rest
#4Meowster34Posted 1/20/2010 4:46:00 PM
I find the golden age to be the FFX- onwards.

It is all opinion anyway.
#5Ame_no_MurakumoPosted 1/20/2010 4:46:49 PM
The golden age of Final Fantasy is 1 through 13, and will continue to 14 when it's released.
---
PSN: Sazaiel
Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles, Phantasy Star II, Persona 3: FES
#6AorokushoPosted 1/20/2010 4:53:21 PM
The golden age of Final Fantasy for me is IV all the way to X. Then afterwards, SE distanced themselves from the true formula of FF and tried different stuff (Which isn't a bad thing at all)

I hope XIII is one of those games that's remembered for what it added to the series (And yes, I'm being very serious)
---
Time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum...- Roddy Piper and LATER, Duke Nukem....
#7Final EclipsePosted 1/20/2010 4:55:55 PM
PSX era has my three favorite FF games (Tactics, VII, and IX), so I'd have to go with that.
---
"Can I get you a ladder so you can get off my back?"
I'm not there quite yet...
#8MrDinkyPosted 1/20/2010 4:56:20 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9shadowheartsfanPosted 1/20/2010 4:59:01 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10MagiusNecrosPosted 1/20/2010 4:59:21 PM
personally the golden age was I-IX and then it is slowly declining imo.
---
Arch-Necromancer of Gilgamesh's Army