Should I upgrade my gear early on? (Chapter 5)

#1BeraboumanPosted 9/19/2012 9:36:34 AM
So far all I've done for upgrading is get Lightning's Gradius to Level 5. That's it. But I'm currently having trouble with Aster Protoflorian and I'm thinking about upgrading it.

Will it be a waste of money/items if I do so now, instead of waiting until later? If I do upgrade, what's a good level to shoot for?
#2FF_MasterXXXPosted 9/19/2012 10:26:53 AM
Berabouman posted...
So far all I've done for upgrading is get Lightning's Gradius to Level 5.

Will it be a waste of money/items if I do so now, instead of waiting until later? If I do upgrade, what's a good level to shoot for?

Let me be the first to say...YES!!! It's ok to upgrade. You'll get numerous players saying no, BUT IF you have the components, don't mind upgrading, AND know the best ways to maximize the components you have, I say yes.

It's hard to tell you where you should stop upgrading, so you should do it until your comfortable with the outcome. Upgrading one weapon 2* can give you a huge advantage. Upgrading accessories can also boost your stats.

This link will assist you in the process so that you don't waste components. I strongly suggest reading it:

Http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/928790-final-fantasy-xiii/63441620
---
"Mr. Hironobu Sakaguchi, Praise be to Yevon."
#3Ecclesiastes273Posted 9/19/2012 10:34:41 AM
For the most part, if you're going to upgrade before Chapter 11 or so, invest it in Accessories. If you want to make a maxed out Blazefire Saber or whatnot, that's fine, but be aware that your Blazefire Saber isn't going to be available in every segment of the game, whereas your maxed Attack/Magic/HP Accessories will provide a much more accessible and noticeable upgrade to your performance.

I mean, you'll get a modest amount of loose parts just going through the game, and using those costs you nothing in direct cash or deliberate grinding time, so you're not really giving up anything.
---
Official Vet of the MHFU Message Board.
Official ETERNAL DESTROYER of the super mega ultimate DRAGON DESTROYERS(tm).
#4wheresatariPosted 9/19/2012 1:23:55 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5tiornysPosted 9/19/2012 2:16:53 PM
wheresatari posted...
Aster Protoflorian, like all enemies, has its Keep reduced to 0 for all actions with a base keep of 89 or less. That includes its normal attacks and Efflorescence. Therefore, your attacks will always have Cut capable of cancelling Aster Protoflorian's actions. As long as you're constantly hitting it, it can't do anything, regardless of whether it is launched or not. For more details on the hidden values Cut and Keep, see the Game Mechanics Guide.

You need to be careful when you're quoting out of context, wheresatari. When I wrote this, it was explicit that I was referring to a staggered Aster Protoflorian, but your copy/paste does not make that clear. This should be placed immediately after destrian's advice about constantly hitting him, not two paragraphs later. For someone unaware of the source, it could look like you're saying that you can always interrupt Aster Protoflorian's attacks, when in fact this is true only during a stagger.

You might have been better off just linking the thread.

t~
#6FF_MasterXXXPosted 9/19/2012 2:33:28 PM
tiornys posted...
wheresatari posted...
Aster Protoflorian, like all enemies, has its Keep reduced to 0 for all actions with a base keep of 89 or less. That includes its normal attacks and Efflorescence. Therefore, your attacks will always have Cut capable of cancelling Aster Protoflorian's actions. As long as you're constantly hitting it, it can't do anything, regardless of whether it is launched or not. For more details on the hidden values Cut and Keep, see the Game Mechanics Guide.

You need to be careful when you're quoting out of context, wheresatari. When I wrote this, it was explicit that I was referring to a staggered Aster Protoflorian, but your copy/paste does not make that clear. This should be placed immediately after destrian's advice about constantly hitting him, not two paragraphs later. For someone unaware of the source, it could look like you're saying that you can always interrupt Aster Protoflorian's attacks, when in fact this is true only during a stagger.

You might have been better off just linking the thread.

t~

Everyone should know that cut-n-pasting someone else's words into their own post isn't cool, and even more so if the OP isn't acknowledged.

In this case, wheresatari made some good points, but if these points are not HIS words directly, and are cut-n-pasted from one of Tiorny's posts, or anyone elses posts for that matter, to me that's unacceptable and uncalled for.

If you are going to do so, make sure your cut-n-paste is correct, in all aspects. I know that its difficult to quote if your using your phone, I-Padô, Android, etc., but you gotta make sure you do it correctly.
---
#7wheresatariPosted 9/19/2012 5:06:16 PM
http://aws.gamefaqs.com/boards/928790-final-fantasy-xiii/63876536
---
I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no man comes to the Father except by Me.
-The Lord Jesus Christ. John 14 verse 6.
#8destrian522Posted 9/19/2012 5:48:09 PM
Don't be picking on ataro too much, guys.
---
CWLSIV
#9FF_MasterXXXPosted 9/19/2012 6:32:45 PM
destrian522 posted...
Don't be picking on ataro too much, guys.

Not pickin' Des...just reiterating a few of the 'hidden' rules of the board, that's all.

I like to see that credit is given where credit is due.

He does add positively to the board, so I wouldn't want to see him not contribute just because of a 'friendly' reminder.
---
#10wheresatariPosted 9/19/2012 8:13:30 PM
It's no biggie. I did put that I found them, not that I came up with it, but I should have said where I got it. It's rectified now though:)
---
I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no man comes to the Father except by Me.
-The Lord Jesus Christ. John 14 verse 6.