best strategies/best skill/best team for chapter 9?

#1ThePHiLsTeRPosted 4/13/2013 8:42:58 AM
I need some help again. I'm fighting 3 psicom huntresses and a psicom reaver. I'm getting hammered bad and quickly. Good news is I have alot of points to put into skills so whatever setup you suggest I'll be able to implement.
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#2jkmill550Posted 4/13/2013 8:57:55 AM
Huntresses are no joke.

Can Fang learn Dispel yet? That's a great ability to weaken them up a bit by removing their buffs. Also, make sure that Hope is casting protect on everyone.

If you're still having problems surviving with protect, then try making Fang a Sentinel while Lightning & Hope pound away with Commando & Ravager, respectively. When you're having trouble surviving, a good Sentinel can give you a fighting chance. The battles may take a little longer, but you will have some breathing room.
#3ThePHiLsTeR(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2013 9:02:11 AM
jkmill550 posted...
Huntresses are no joke.

Can Fang learn Dispel yet? That's a great ability to weaken them up a bit by removing their buffs. Also, make sure that Hope is casting protect on everyone.

If you're still having problems surviving with protect, then try making Fang a Sentinel while Lightning & Hope pound away with Commando & Ravager, respectively. When you're having trouble surviving, a good Sentinel can give you a fighting chance. The battles may take a little longer, but you will have some breathing room.

Yea she has dispel
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#4tiornysPosted 4/13/2013 9:33:59 AM(edited)
I was generally able to handle that group fairly easily with my preferred team of Lightning/Vanille/Sazh. Sazh's buffs cause the Reaver to cast Dispel instead of attacking you, but Sazh is generally faster, especially if you give him a head start with an Aurora Scarf (max and transform Whistlewind Scarf).

Take out the Huntresses as quickly as possible. They have potent offense but go down easily, especially after Vanille gets rid of their defensive buffs. I typically use my default deck for this fight (Decimation - Ruthless - Smart Bomb - Tri-disaster - Aggression - Convalescence), but you can tune the deck to the fight by altering the first two paradigms to Guerrilla and Bully.

If you haven't maxed out your Black Belts, I suggest doing so. Shielding Talisman is another good defensive option.
---
http://etrosgate.com/
#5ThePHiLsTeR(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2013 11:21:39 AM(edited)
sorry but not willing to mess with items. Trying to beat this game with minimal effort. I don't really like this game but at same time I want to know what happens in the story.

Also I tried the sentinel thing and it sorta works but still getting hammered ugh.
---
#6tiornysPosted 4/13/2013 12:44:12 PM
You're certainly welcome to play however you choose, but it's my opinion that a small investment of effort in upgrades now will serve to save you a lot more effort as you proceed through the game.

In general, powering through this game is more about good strategy than grinding, and having good accessories is an important piece of strategy. Other important pieces are team composition and paradigm setups. Fang and Hope are both relatively weak right now; if you want to use a Sentinel-based plan, I recommend Vanille and Snow.
---
#7randumo24Posted 4/13/2013 2:21:10 PM
Absolutely no doubt in my mind, at that point and for a while after, the best party is Lightning, Vanille, and Sazh. Always start out in Bully(Commando, Sab, and Synergist. Vanille takes away those buffs those girls give themselves, while Sazh buffs the group. Most importantly, he grants everyone haste. You can switch to Relentless assault when the enemy group has been debuffed, and Diversity if health is getting low. I'd also advise making a paradigm where both Vanille AND Light are medics in case Vanille dies.

I also suggest upgrading the Gladius for Light. The power boost that gives you, along with the buffs of Sazh. Light can take out the enemy groups by herself and still get 5 stars. Trust me, I've grinded on level 9 for a long time the first time I played. I know level 9 like the back of my hand lol.
#8randumo24Posted 4/13/2013 2:25:24 PM
jkmill550 posted...
Huntresses are no joke.

Huntresses are easy if you let Vanille do the debuffing, not Fang. Because of having all of the extra debuffs Vanille has over Fang, she makes those Huntresses pushovers. Wasting time with Sentinels on easy battles like those will just make it very hard to get 5 stars. Sazh & his buffs are much more important. Haste, in those battles, will save you from damage more than Sentinel will.
#9tiornysPosted 4/13/2013 4:08:30 PM(edited)
Set up Snow with Paladin, a Black Belt (no need to max it), and a Shield Talisman, and you won't need to worry about healing at all during the battle. Using Sazh will make you go faster, but you will need to take healing breaks. The battle is pretty easy to 5-star either way.

I didn't see a battle with Psicom Reaver and 3x Psicom Huntress, so I'm guessing the battle in question is actually Psicom Reaver, 2x Psicom Huntress, Psicom Destroyer. That makes for a fairly major difference, because the Destroyer needs to be your top priority target. Single him out, and you can have him staggered and launched before he gets a shot off. Let him start firing and he will wreck you.

Lightning/Vanille/Sazh
COM/RAV/SYN -- Decimation
COM/SAB/RAV -- Ruthless
RAV/SAB/RAV -- Smart Bomb
RAV/RAV/RAV -- Tri-disaster
COM/RAV/COM -- Aggression
MED/MED/SYN -- Convalescence

Target the Destroyer, and stay in Decimation just long enough for Sazh to Haste everyone. Shift to Smart Bomb to stagger the Destroyer, and then shift to Ruthless to take him out. Vanille should be casting Dispel at the Huntresses. When the Destroyer dies, heal up and get a few more buffs in Convalescence. Use one round of Ruthless to add chain to a Huntress, then stagger her in Smart Bomb, and go back to Ruthless to kill her. Convalescence--Ruthless--Smart Bomb--Ruthless the other Huntress, top off in Convalsecence, Smart Bomb the Reaver for a round, then Tri-disaster for two rounds, then back to Smart Bomb for stagger. If Vanille has succeeded in debuffing him, shift to Aggression for the kill, otherwise use Ruthless until she inflicts at least Deprotect, then shift to Aggression.

You can speed this fight up by manually entering Blitz-Blitz and Thundera-Watera chains to add duration and chain to multiple targets at once. I was pretty consistently able to get the first Huntress halfway to stagger while killing the Destroyer, and to get some relevant duration on the Reaver while killing the second Huntress, allowing me to skip the initial Smart Bomb round and go straight to Tri-disaster.

An Aurora Scarf on Sazh will massively speed up the initial Hastes. Black Belts, Shielding Talismans, and +HP Bangles can add resilience. +stat accessories and weapon upgrades increase your raw power.

Lightning/Vanille/Snow
COM/SAB/SEN -- Dirty Fighting
RAV/SAB/SEN -- Matador
RAV/RAV/SEN -- Mystic Tower
COM/RAV/SEN or MED/MED/SEN -- Delta Attack/Combat Clinic
RAV/RAV/RAV -- Tri-disaster
COM/RAV/COM -- Aggression

Target the Destroyer in Dirty Fighting, then stagger him in Mystic Tower. Use a round of Delta Attack on him, then shift to Dirty Fighting to finish him off while Vanille works on Dispel. For the Huntresses, use one round of Dirty Fighting, two rounds of Mystic Tower, and then stagger in Matador. Use Dirty Fighting and Delta Attack to kill. When only the Reaver is left, use a couple of rounds of Tri-disaster to build his chain, then use Matador to stagger and inflict Deprotect. Finish him off in Aggression.

Combat Clinic isn't necessary, but if you must have a healing paradigm, use it in place of Delta Attack and use Dirty Fighting for all of your pre-Reaver kills.

Snow should have defensive accessories and his Paladin weapon. Lightning and Vanille should equip offense boosting equipment, probably including your Blessed Talisman.

(Auto-buffs will eventually get dispelled by the Reaver, but if he's casting Dispel, then he's not doing something more dangerous.)

Here's a video link. I've maxed out the crystarium, so I did the fights with minimal accessories: http://youtu.be/uXx2Un-Kw-A
---
#10ThePHiLsTeR(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2013 5:59:15 PM
I upgraded the gladius.

Used tiornys' strat with lighting/van/sazh. 5 starred. thanks guys.
---