This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do people really still play this online?

#1GrannyWithaGunPosted 12/14/2010 10:44:48 AM
I ask because I read somewhere that during the winter months/christmas vacation, this game gets a small burst of actual people playing it.

Is this true?

Thanks.
#2winnies_revengePosted 12/14/2010 2:39:00 PM
If it's true, then it's definitely a balls out face flat lie. I tried going on over the weekend and there was absolutely nobody. I'm not surprised though. If anything, I think it gets slower to be honest because people are usually playing all the newest holiday games. However, I think it starts to pick up during the spring (not a lot, just a little) once people finally get bored of them including the newest SvR game. At least, that's how it seemed in the years' past but this year might be different since I heard SvR11 is actually decent and not to mention the 06 server is even more buggy than ever and also the game itself is just getting older and older and more outdated every year. Ah well, it's been a fantastic ride, 06. All good things must come to an end eventually.

---
i'm crazy!
#3DarkTyrantXPosted 12/16/2010 9:05:57 PM
I thought i heard they took the servers down for it? Also i don't think it matters if it's older. counter strike is over 10 years old and thousands still play it. I actually prefer old wrestling game s for the superior roster,the new wrestlers suck these days.
---
It's not where you start, it's where you finish. - Jack Tretton
#4winnies_revengePosted 12/17/2010 5:28:01 PM
Online still works. The only thing is that you can't tell which rooms have people when looking from the outside menu (i.e. it will always say 0/20). You'll have to enter a room until you eventually find someone. It can be a pain in the ass, but hey at least online still works lol. This is probably another reason why hardly anybody goes online anymore- they assume online is dead because they think nobody is on. But don't let that deter you.

---
i'm crazy!
#5WWEDX2007Posted 12/31/2010 9:14:52 PM
I wish people would log on, nobodies ever on, i'm usually in Main Event Lobby 1 waiting for opponents, it's not like last year unfortunately :(
#6gearratioPosted 1/2/2011 2:26:09 PM
Alright, I have to point something out:

@winnies_revenge: Cut the cute expressions regarding this subject out, because you don't know what you're talking about. First of all, it isn't a lie. Just because it's dead this winter holiday season (compared to the others) does not make it a lie. Everybody has noticed that online activity spurts during all holiday periods and the summer vacation times. If you actually did play online last winter, you'd know that about 3 lobbies were 20/20 full and another 2 had about 10-15 each. That's one of the most impressive things I've seen for this game. Second, spring time isn't when people come back for sure.

Anyway, the servers don't "seem" like there are 0/20 people in a lobby. What you have to do to find a lobby with users is keep entering and exiting the lobby menu. You'll eventually (short time) come accross a non-empty lobby.

---
Stupid tire! Ya friggin' tire! You think you're better than me?! I'll kick your ass!
"spokesperson of Contra's fans, customers, and developers"
#7winnies_revengePosted 1/4/2011 5:57:52 PM
Look, sorry if my tone in my previous post seemed a little pessimistic but i was just telling it like it is. Maybe in the past it was normal to see about 7-10 ppl in a lobby but the creator of this topic was asking if ppl still played this today and the fact of the matter is it has died down a lot ever since the start of fall largely because of the broken lobbies and I don't see it getting any better. Nowadays you'd be lucky to find even 2 people.

Hey, I don't want this game to die either as much as you do but we gotta face the facts that this game is on its last leg in terms of activity and it'll eventually face the inevitable. And wtf are you talking about that there were 3 full lobbies last winter? I was on a few times last winter holiday and I don't ever remember that. You're probably thinking about another SvR game cuz this game hasn't had a single full lobby since 2008. But you're right that in the past the winter and summer holidays were usually the time when more ppl would get on but that was the past. Everything is different now because of the server.

Again, if there's anybody that comes to this topic wondering about the same thing, don't hesitate to come online. You may find a person or two and still have an enjoyable experience. You never know unless you try it.

---
i'm crazy!
#8gearratioPosted 1/5/2011 9:30:03 AM
But what I find unusual is the activity dying down this particular fall even though the lobbies were already screwy for a few years now.

About the 3 full lobbies, were you online on SVR every night last winter holidays? I mean you don't have to be playing online 24/7, just keep it hooked up and connected from like 6 PM to 5 AM. Well I did; from about December 10th all the way to January 18th, online mode was hooked up. And at some point after 1 AM, I vividly remember 2 full lobbies and a couple other busy lobbies, too.

Anyway, I hope you and others go online like tonight or something. We can get some games going...

---
Stupid tire! Ya friggin' tire! You think you're better than me?! I'll kick your ass!
#9gearratioPosted 1/5/2011 1:50:04 PM
A quick way to determine if there are actually people online or not (despite the "0/20" glitch) is the presence of Chatmonitor. Whenever there is more than 1 person connected to the server, the "chatmonitor" things will show up promptly in whichever lobby you're in.

It upset me to realize that there were no chatmonitors when I last logged on.

---