Devil Summoner FAQ (Revised Edition, Please Read Before Posting)

#1scathatch72Posted 1/16/2007 2:23:47 PMmessage detail
Oh! I see that you've clicked on my FAQ. The name's Scathatch72, and I welcome you to my first message board FAQ!

This is my first attempt at making one of these, but I'm going to do my best at answering the most frequently asked questions here.

Please DO NOT post until you see my signature, okay? Thank you for your cooperation.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Bug-Catching miniquest

2. What are Foxtails for?

3. How do I get the Onmyo katana?

4. Are there any places where I can rest and recover my HP/MP?

5. How do I reduce the encounter rate?

6. What is my Summoner Rank for?

7. What do I do with the Fried Tofu?

8. How do I get Alice?

9. How do I get Raiho?

10. What's a good way to earn Yen?

11. What carries over in New Cycle?

12. What's the point of Demonstrate?

13. Why can't I confine Skill demons?

14. How do I refill my MAG supply?

15. What exactly does Raidou's stats and familiar stats do?

16. How do I get Kudan?

17. How do I get Beelzebub?

18. Why can't I fuse [insert demon here], even though I'm at the required level?

19. How do I get a Legion?

20. Any way to increase Item Drop rates?

21. "Make your friend go last." What the heck does that mean?!

22. What's up with the dog that asks me about what my dream is?

23. Does a "Death Resist" or "Mind Resist" skill exist anywhere in the game?

24. Do I get rewarded for getting the highest Summoner Rank or completing the Devil Chart?

25. Can any of my demons learn "Megido"?

26. What's so great about Beelzebub?

27. I have a demon that I'm fond of. Is there any way I can override its weakness?

28. What demons come with 'Astral Burst'?

29. Making Use of Support Skills

30. Which enemies drop Incense items? (Update!)

31. I got a Dainty Snack. Do I do something special with it?

32. The ever-elusive "Regenerate" skill

33. shmoo129's Quickie Bestiary
#2scathatch72(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2007 2:25:24 PMmessage detail
1. Bug-Catching miniquest

In Episode 1: The Missing Girl, while you're wandering around Dark Tsukudo-Cho, you may run into an Agathion loitering in the alley near where you land. Talk to him and he will ask you if you like bugs. Say "Yes" and he'll then ask you to catch some bugs for him. Head back to the portal and warp to the "normal" Tsukudo-Cho.

Summon any one of your familiars and have it go on a solo mission. Check every storefront you come across and you'll end up with two key items: Ice Cream and Syrup. (You will probably have the Fried Tofu, but you won't need it yet.) Take the Ice Cream and Syrup to the Nameless Shrine and check the left side of the screen for a large tree. Use the Ice Cream on the tree, and then come back to the tree on a FULL MOON. Examine the tree and you'll get a bug. Now use the Syrup on the tree and if the moon is still full, you'll get the second bug.

With both bugs in hand, warp back to Dark Tsukudo-Cho and return to the Agathion. Give him both bugs and he'll fork over two treasures which can be sold to Konnou-Ya for a lot of money.

2. What are Foxtails for?

Over the course of the game, you'll find an item called "Foxtail". Use them from the item menu and Gouto will go nuts. Once you've used 9 Foxtails, Gouto will give you three powerful healing items. After that, if you use a Foxtail on Gouto, he'll just scold you.

3. How do I get the Onmyo katana?

You will need all four of these demons in your party: Abihiko, Nagasunehiko, Mishaguji, and Hitokotonusi. Forge all four demons, in any order you choose, to your katana. Don't worry if the resulting katana has the "Gekkei" name, once the last demon is forged, Victor will say that "a new level of power has been reached". Now check Raidou's stats and you'll see that you have the Onmyo blade.
#3scathatch72(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2007 2:29:09 PMmessage detail
4. Are there any places where I can rest and recover my HP/MP?

Two "inn"-type ways to heal in the game:

A. Victor's Gouma-Den. He will heal and cure any damaged party member and his price depends on how injured he or she is.

B. Nakisawame. The little fairy that is encased in a teardrop, she only appears in the Dark Realm. She will charge you a set price depending on the Episode you are in. (Original price times the number of the current Episode). Her prices double during a Full Moon.

Both services can get really weighty on your wallet, so the best advice I can give you is this: Create a demon via fusion that knows both a Dia skill and Patra (which cures negative status). Keep this demon in your reserves at all times, and never bring it into battle with you. This demon is only used to heal and cure you and your main familiars after battle. Keep it for the entire game, and you'll never truly need any of Nakisawame's or Victor's services, thus it saves you a lot of money in the long run.

The earliest familiar I know of that you can get that knows Patra is the Level 23 Pyro-class demon, Oshichi (the chicken with a woman's head).

Create her by fusing a Pagan familiar with a demon that will have Oshichi as the result, and be sure that one of the demons has a Dia skill. Keep selecting and cancelling the fusion until you have both the Dia and Patra skills on the Oshichi, then finish the fusion. If you want, you could also toss in a MP+ skill (Mana Bonus, Mana Gain, etc) to give her more MP. Heal Boost can also be useful on this custom healer if the final product will not have Diarahan as its Dia skill. Boom! Instant reserve white mage. =)

5. How do I reduce the encounter rate?

Use either the "Repulse Water" item, or the "Intimidate" investigation skill (some familiars have this ability). Repulse Water can be bought, won from battles, given to you by a familiar who has leveled up, or found in the field. Likewise, you can use "Attract Water" or a familiar's "Provoke" skill to increase the encounter rate (Good if you're a train-a-holic, like me XD)

6. What is my Summoner Rank for?

As Raidou gains more Total Loyalty from training his familiars, his Summoner Rank goes up. Every time his rank goes up, head straight to the Nameless Shrine and talk to the Herald of Yatagarasu. You may gain two demon tubes, thus increasing the amount of familiars you can carry.
#4scathatch72(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2007 2:33:05 PMmessage detail
7. What do I do with the Fried Tofu?

During the thievery you have your familiar perfom in Tsukudo-Cho, you'll most likely have a Fried Tofu in your valuables (key items). In Episode 3: Dark Summoner, head to the Nameless Shrine and offer the fox statues the tofu. In return, the fox statues will open up the Training Halls. The main Training Hall can be found by checking the washbasin in the Nameless Shrine.

8. How do I get Alice?

You can start the quest for Alice as early as Episode 8: The Demon and the Steel Tower. Unless you're really into powerleveling, you might not be able to do this quest until near the end of the game. Raidou needs to be at Level 66, as he will need a Belial in his party (Belial is a Level 66 Pyro-class demon). You will also need a Nebiros in your party as well (Nebiros is a Level 42 Pagan-class demon).

Remember all the phoneboxes in places like Tsukudo-Cho, Ginza-Cho and such?

Summon Belial (so it's following you) and head to the Tsukudo-Cho phonebox near Tamonten Shrine. Examine the phone and it will ring; Belial will answer the phone for you.

Now summon Nebiros and head to Harumi-Cho. Examine the phonebox and Nebiros will pick up the phone.

Finally, go to Ginza-Cho with both Belial and Nebiros. Examine the phonebox, and Alice will appear, triggering a battle with her.

Alice is immune to Death and has no weakness, so just pound on her with everything except Death attacks. Also have some sort of Death resistance, as she will spam Mudo spells left and right. She has around 4,000 HP, but at this point you might have a demon with Raging Blast or Astral Burst (Belial can learn Astral Burst by leveling him up once), so you might be able to shave off 600-999 of her HP with just one Raging Blast or Astral Burst. Try to aim only for Alice, her minions infinitely respawn until Alice is defeated. Once Alice is down, you'll get a key item ("Staff of Death") that will allow you to fuse Alice at Victor's Gouma-Den. Alice is a Level 32 Pagan-class demon.

9. How do I get Raiho?

Complete the game once, and save your game. Now load up the "New Cycle" file. After the opening sequences, talk to Detective Kazama. Bear in mind that Raidou must be ranked "Master of Demons" or higher for this to work. If Raidou is a "Master of Demons" or higher, Detective Kazama will give him the Bancho Uniform. Go to Konnou-Ya and a Jack Frost steals the uniform, and then reappears as Raiho. He will challenge you to fight him (Tell him his name is "Raihee"). Raiho is very dangerous at low levels, so it's best to leave him alone until you're Level 25 or so. Once you're ready, tell him "Raihee" and defeat Raiho. Raiho will admit his defeat and from then on, you will have the uniform back, which will allow Raiho to be fused at the Gouma-Den. Raiho is a Level 23 Frost-class demon.

If you are not "Master of Demons" yet, do not worry. Kazama will appear in every episode except Episode 9, so you can go and obtain more Total Loyalty to meet the requirements.
#5scathatch72(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2007 2:34:57 PMmessage detail
10. What's a good way to earn Yen?

Some familiars can learn the support skill "Money Find", which increases the Yen earned after battle (make sure the familiar is present at the end of a fight, or this won't work).

Any artifacts that you find (like Roman Coin, Cretan Goddess, Wood Ornament, etc) serve only to be sold to Konnou-Ya for money.

If you have any Sake items (Homura Sake, Yamiyo Sake, etc), sell them. That's right, sell them. Why? Because using these on your familiars only increases their Loyalty to you, NOT YOUR TOTAL LOYALTY. Not good if you're trying to get a better rank (especially for the Raiho sidequest).

When opening Red Crystals, send a "stupid" familiar (such as Ippon-datara, Oboroguruma, etc) to open them. Stupid familiars always get valuable treasures that can be sold to Konnou-Ya. If you do not have a stupid familiar on hand, send an "elderly man" familiar (like Belial, Muspell, Chernabog, etc) to open the crystal. They will usually get some kind of Sake item (which you should sell).

11. What carries over in New Cycle?

Any familiars recorded in the Devil Chart.

Raidou's Summoner Rank.

Raidou's Konnou-Ya Shop Rank.

Raidou's Soda Joint Rank.

12. What's the point of Demonstrate?

Skill-class familiars all bear the "Demonstrate" investigation skill. When you have a Skill familiar following you around, there's a chance that it will attempt to show off for Raidou. If you choose "Yes", then a random effect will occur.

A. Your familiar will take one of your items and turn it into a new item.

B. Your familiar will heal Raidou or another familiar.

C. Raidou or another familiar will have his/her/its Hit Points reduced to 1.

D. Raidou or another familiar will be inflicted with a status ailment.

E. Raidou or another familiar may gain a stat boost (tip courtesy of The_Evil_Nerd)
#6scathatch72(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2007 2:40:03 PMmessage detail
13. Why can't I confine Skill demons?

To be able to confine a Skill demon, the moon must be FULL. Once the moon is full, and you get into a battle with a Skill demon, you will be able to confine it. Hit the critter with its weakness, slap it around some if you have to, then go in and confine it, just like you can do with any other classes of demons.

14. How do I refill my MAG supply?

You get MAG after every battle, but of course it might not be enough. If you are strapped for MAG, head to the Shin-Sekai Soda Joint in Ginza-Cho. Select "Exchange" and you'll be able to dump some of your familiars for MAG. The more familiars you donate, the more your Soda Joint rank will rise, and new Sodas will become available. MAG gain also may increase by a small percentage.

15. What exactly does Raidou's stats and familiar stats do?

****Stats for Raidou****

Strength: Raidou's physical attack power. High strength means his katana and revolver will deal more damage.

Magic: Raidou's magic defense power. Raidou will take less damage from spell attacks. It also lowers the cost for summoning familiars. Raidou's Magic can boost the stats of his familiars, and it also increases the damage dealt by Combination Arts (such as Voltaic Ring, Astral Burst, Cross Slash, etc).

Vitality: Raidou's physical defense. Lowers the damage dealt by enemy physical attacks. Also increases Raidou's maximum HP value.

Luck: Luck is always a weird-ass stat in RPGs. Apparently, it influences everything. Critical hit rates, the chance of getting a Fusion Accident, item drops, and the probability that a familiar will give Raidou a gift upon level up.

****Stats for any familiar****

Strength: Physical attack power. Increases damage dealt by physical attacks and skills.

Magic: Magic attack power and defense. The demon will dish out more damage via spells, and takes less damage from enemy spell attacks. Also increases the demon's maximum MP.

Vitality: Physical defense power. Reduces damage from enemy physical attacks and skills. Increases the demon's maximum HP.

Luck: Pretty much the same as Raidou.
#7scathatch72(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2007 2:42:06 PMmessage detail
16. How do I get Kudan?

Of all the "secret" demons that Raidou can obtain, Kudan is probably the most annoying. Kudan is the cow with a woman's head that you may run into anywhere from the start of Episode 7 to the end of the game. You cannot confine Kudan, as she must be defeated first before she is fusable. The problem is...Kudan has INSANE defense, can heal herself with Diarahan, and can escape from battle. So how the hell can you defeat this thing?

Go into the battle with a familiar that knows a "-dyne" level spell (Bufudyne, Agidyne, Zandyne, or Ziodyne). Also make sure the demon knows Astral Burst. Hit Kudan with any one of these spells to stun her momentarily, and then smack Kudan around until you can use Astral Burst. You must be quick, or else Kudan will just run away. There's a bit of luck involved; this strategy is not foolproof.

After beating Kudan, you get the key item "Prophetic Book." Kudan will then be fusable at the Gouma-Den. Kudan is a Level 51 Skill-class demon.

17. How do I get Beelzebub?

Beelzebub is available when you reach the Bottom Floor of the Nameless Shrine's Training Hall. You also must have the 3 key items gained by clearing the Hyakki Yakou battles. Defeat him and he will be fusable at the Gouma-Den. Beelzebub is a Level 80 Pagan-class demon.

*To make the Bottom Floor accessible, reach the final save point in the final dungeon, then leave and head for the Nameless Shrine.

18. Why can't I fuse [insert demon here], even though I'm at the required level?

The demon in question is a Boss that must be defeated first, and then it will be fusable.
#8scathatch72(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2007 2:44:23 PMmessage detail
19. How do I get a Legion?

Legion can only be acquired through a Fusion Accident. There are actually 5 types of Legion demons, but they all count as "one" in the Devil Chart. Once you reach Episode 3, from then on, you will be able to try to get a Legion.

~~~The Five Types of Legion~~~

"Normal" Legion = the most common Legion you can get, and the first one available in Episode 3

"Phys" Legion = A Legion specializing in Physical-based skills

"Magic" Legion = A Legion specializing in Magic-based skills

"Heal" Legion = A Legion specializing in Recovery-based skills

"Rare" Legion = the ONLY demon in the game that possesses the Support skill, 'Regenerate'

20. Any way to increase Item Drop rates?

Yes. Power and Mishaguji can learn "Item Find" through natural leveling. Item Find increases the Item Drop rate ONLY if the familiar that knows the skill is present at the end of a battle. Also, having higher Luck stat can influence the drop rate of after-battle spoils.

21. "Make your friend go last." What the heck does that mean?!

In the final dungeon, you'll run across an Ukobach who gives you the clue "Left, Left, Right." The Okuninushi next to him has the clue "Make your friend go last." To solve this puzzle, have Raidou enter the left side of the screen twice. Then, summon a familiar and have him/her/it go Solo and enter the right side of the screen once. The portal behind the two demons will turn on, allowing you to proceed.
#9scathatch72(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2007 2:46:13 PMmessage detail
22. What's up with the dog that asks me about what my dream is?.

In the Amazing Science Lab, you'll encounter a dog that you talk to via the "Read Mind" investigation skill (Pagan familiars only). The dog will ask you to tell it your dream. You'll be presented with a screen in which you can enter what your dream is. It can be anything, just be sure to REMEMBER what you told the dog.

In the final dungeon, once you reach the final save point just before the final boss, talk to the spirit near the save point and tell him your dream. If you did it correctly, you'll be teleported to a secret room where there's a whole mess of blue crystals, all of which contain Incense items.

23. Does a "Death Resist" or "Mind Resist" skill exist anywhere in the game?

Only for Raidou. He can get resistance to Death or Mind via the Forge technique available at Victor's Gouma-Den. There are NO demons in the game that can learn Death Resist or Mind Resist as a support skill.

24. Do I get rewarded for getting the highest Summoner Rank or completing the Devil Chart?

No.
#10scathatch72(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2007 2:48:02 PMmessage detail
25. Can any of my demons learn "Megido"?

No. However, your demons can learn the Combination Art "Astral Burst", which causes heavy Almighty damage to all enemies onscreen.

26. What's so great about Beelzebub?

Beelzebub seems to be this game's "ultimate" demon. He takes 1/2 damage from Phys, Elec, Ice, Force, and Fire attacks. He also nulls Mind attacks and drains Death attacks. He comes with Astral Burst as his Combination Art.

27. I have a demon that I'm fond of. Is there any way I can override its weakness?

If your favorite familiar has an elemental weakness (except Mind or Death of course), then yes, it's possible to fuse the demon with a Resist skill that will override its innate weakness.

First and foremost, you'll need to level as many demons as possible twice, in the hopes that the demon will learn the Resist skill you need. Now you'll need to fool around with "Inverted Fusion" (Fusing a Pagan-class demon with any other class except Skill). You can keep selecting and cancelling the fusion until the final product has the skillset you want.

You might need to transfer the skill(s) in question to a few other demons before you can transfer it to the familiar you want to create by fusion. It's expensive, so make absolutely sure you're willing to burn several holes in your wallet. This can help if you want to make a higher-level demon (such as Thor, Belial, Arahabaki, Susano-O, etc) that has a skill that cancels out its weakness, if it has one.