Ascension Checklist?

#1ParanoidObsessivePosted 3/22/2009 10:50:40 PM
I just ascended again tonight, and I went through my usual OCD-driven checklist of things that I do every ascension, and I started wondering what other people do when they ascend.

Personally, I untinker my meatcar, so that I can rebuild it again quickly. Then I bake the Boris/Jarlsberg/Sneaky Pete keys into limes, then bake those into key lime pies (I don't bake the digital and star keys into pies because those are easier to acquire via mall access, and I'm not even remotely going to be reaching the NS lair before I'm out of ronin and the mall is open). Then I build a meat maid, so I can pull it and get it running immediately once I can pull stuff in the new run. I'll also buy some anticheese so I can made a cottage almost immediately and not have to get lucky with The Shore once I can get to it.

And finally, I'll buy a few days worth of low-level food and booze, along with some wads (if I don't have some already pulverized) to pull for extra turns and stats. My usual choices are a tequila sunrise or two (muscle stats, can drink at level one), some extra-spicy bloody marys (low level requirement, fair stat gains), some White Citadel burgers (low fullness, moderate adventure gain, no level requirement), and maybe some vinegar-soaked lemon slices (nice stat gain, low level requirement). Generally, I buy enough to last for a few days, until I'm capable of making my own food and drink in the new run. I mostly picked those foods because they're cheap and easy - I'm not making an attempt to drop hundreds of thousands of meat just so that I can pull off massive amounts of speed, as much as I'm trying to balance cost and effectiveness.

Also, my list is generally what I do when I plan to start a new softcore run - if my next run is going to be hardcore, I'm more inclined to simply forget about the details and just leap in head-first (because I'm not going to be able to pull anyway).

Anyone else do anything differently, or have any extra steps I've left out? Just curious.

---
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
#2CoolBeansAvlPosted 3/22/2009 11:18:30 PM
I do a lot of that too. I have a list in my quest log to serve as a reminder of everything I need to do.

I make sure my meat car is untinkered (I usually do it right after unlocking the Beach).
Make sure that I have the skill that I intended to perm.
Make a meat maid.
Make a chef-in-the-box or bartender-in-the-box if I don't already have one. (The only reason I wouldn't already have one if I used it during that run). I also check my campground to make sure that I've exploded any -in-a-boxes I may have used.
Get some dingy planks.
Smash the hippy stone, so I can attack people and then ascend before I get attacked. Yes, it's a cowardly tactic.

Those are all the things that are on my list, but I do more than that.

I also cook all of my keys into at least key limes, and that includes the star key and digital key.
I make sure I've done all of my once-per-day things, like getting meat from the hippy fruit stand and summoning crafting components. I usually seem to forget to do something though, and it's usually getting stuff from the clan rumpus room.
I spend all of my remaining turns no matter what, whether it be for meat farming, crafting, etc., it feels like a waste if I don't. It's usually spent crafting. I try to make upper-tier stuff, but I don't go out of my way to buy stuff from the mall to make all upper-tier things. I'll just use what I have. I also try to focus on crafting things exclusive to the type of run I'm in, like if I'm doing a Myst-class, I'll make a lot of hi meins.
I always check the trophy hut, to make sure that if I unknowingly unlocked one that must be purchased before ascending, I do purchase it.
I spend all of my MP summoning candy hearts/divine favors/love songs until the next summon cost becomes too great for me to summon it without restoring MP, then I spend the rest buffing other people.

That's all I can think of now, but I think I covered most of it.
---
Hey kiddies
#3ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2009 3:08:25 AM
>>> Make a chef-in-the-box or bartender-in-the-box if I don't already have one. (The only reason I wouldn't already have one if I used it during that run). I also check my campground to make sure that I've exploded any -in-a-boxes I may have used.

Interesting. I rarely bother with the in-a-boxes unless I plan on doing a LOT of cooking/mixing, so I definitely don't bother pre-preping them.

>>> Get some dingy planks.

This is usually one of the first things I do when I first start the new ascension, because I figure the few hundred meat and the few turns it'll take me to buy some gum, find a worthless item, and buy the Hermit Permit isn't worth the value I lose by wasting a pull.

>>> Smash the hippy stone, so I can attack people and then ascend before I get attacked. Yes, it's a cowardly tactic.

Hah. I'd do it too, if not for the fact that the ONLY reason I ever felt like playing PvP was to get the two trophies, both of which I already have.

>>> I make sure I've done all of my once-per-day things, like getting meat from the hippy fruit stand and summoning crafting components. I usually seem to forget to do something though, and it's usually getting stuff from the clan rumpus room.

I always try to do that absolute first thing when I first log in - check the clan meat tree/bush, use the crane, hit up the Island for stuff (like the ~4000 meat from the fruit stand), summon up the various items (cocktail, noodles, reagents). Occasionally I get distracted or forget, which is why I started doing them immediately when I logged in. Easier to remember that way.

>>> I spend all of my remaining turns no matter what, whether it be for meat farming, crafting, etc., it feels like a waste if I don't.

Totally agree, though I always spend those meat farming. At that point, I'm usually buff enough to either use the machete/cup of infinite pencils, or if I'm coming off lvl 30 trophy or Hobopolis runs, buff enough to use the Hodge gear w/garbage sticker.

Though, my ascension yesterday was actually supposed to happen a day earlier, but I skipped a day so I'd have a ton of turns on the Day of the Dead, so my turn-burning could net me a bunch of spirit drinks. Then I got a few more after I ascended and got another 100 or so turns.

>>> I always check the trophy hut, to make sure that if I unknowingly unlocked one that must be purchased before ascending, I do purchase it.

I do too, though at this point, the only way I'm going to accidentally unlock a trophy is if they add some new ones. The only known trophies I have left to acquire are all the really hard ones, like having 11 confettis or doing 10 90%+ familiar runs, and those things just don't happen by accident.

---
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
#4SforzatoPosted 3/23/2009 1:11:54 PM
I ascend HC most of the time, so I usually don't have to prepare much for the next run. This is basically all I do:

- Put anything of value into my mall store.
- Autosell all other items.
---
Kingdom of Loathing: Poring Slayer (Player ID #846422)
#5CoolBeansAvlPosted 3/23/2009 1:28:43 PM
Hah. I'd do it too, if not for the fact that the ONLY reason I ever felt like playing PvP was to get the two trophies, both of which I already have.

What two trophies? >_> I only know of the toast one.
---
Hey kiddies
#6SforzatoPosted 3/23/2009 4:16:14 PM

What two trophies? >_> I only know of the toast one.

The only other PvP-related trophy is the *SPOILERS* pretty flower one, but you could just buy the flower from the mall.
---
Kingdom of Loathing: Poring Slayer (Player ID #846422)
#7CoolBeansAvlPosted 3/23/2009 4:18:05 PM
Oh, right, which is why I didn't think of it as a PvP thing.
---
Hey kiddies
#8fuzzyevil2Posted 3/23/2009 6:52:34 PM
Ah, hardcore is so much easier. :) I just jump blindly into the gash after every ascension, with little care for prep-work or key lime pies.
---
Kingdom of Loathing: Goo Goo
#9CoolBeansAvlPosted 3/23/2009 7:14:46 PM
Even if I plan to jump into Hardcore next, I always do prep work for my next softcore ascension. I always cook my key limes too.
---
Hey kiddies
#10jletterPosted 3/24/2009 8:23:17 AM
spoilers, I guess, just to be safe...

I cook the digital key as well. Not quite as necessary since the mall can make up for it, but really, key lime pies are high up there for desired level 6 consumables. Not the best, but they're decent, and I certainly can't gun for 7 for the meins too quickly, as I'm not that good at speed.
I'd also think, if you're doing sub-ronin, you might want the digital pies since 3 of those are at least 24 pixels if not all 30. I'm not quite hip enough on bleeding-edge to know how the pixels compare to the extra turns of meins. Stupac's new softcore guide at least suggests the star ones, since you'll want to avoid the HitS as it's otherwise unnecessary. But all that is for sub-ronin runs, and I can easily see why you'd not bother if you're breaking ronin before level 13.

Though as a note from an economic stand point, the ~1k for the lime is certainly cheaper than the 8-10 white pixels you'd have to buy to make up for it. Right now, for instance, they're 425, and I don't know if I've ever seen them below 300.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs - where everyone is wrong about everything. If it's advice, opinion, fact, or even a general statement, it can, and will, be debated here.