Rollercoastering KoL

#1jletterPosted 7/5/2012 10:06:35 PM
The Ups
Well, talk about Crimbo coming early: two new chefstaves, the lost key and the hot egg. Nice. Maybe that means us Word Realms backers will be seeing a beta soon, since they seem to be on a roll.

The Down
Not so nice: Skully apparently is in the hospital. No idea why, though I guess there was something in chat last night about it.
But anyway, if you have an official forum account, might want to stop by the thread and wish him well! (It's in the community section.)
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where everyone is wrong about everything. If it's advice, opinion, or even a general statement, it will be debated here.
#2gamester_12345Posted 7/7/2012 5:51:10 AM
2 New Chefstaves....

One requires you to not pick or use Peppermints for 6 days....not useful for HC, would still use pumpkins for an easy staff....though i have Clip Art for Lights...
Slime Staff that may be slightly trivial anywhere else, possibly a carbon copy of the sleaze 150% Staff just with a Slime Hates it effect.

Lost key looks better, if only for the small chance of getting Munchie, Dog Hair or Distention Pills from the bottle, theres the Comb (for the 3 turn stun...which breaks after a few uses) or the Glasses that reduces an enemy's defence by 15%. (Defence is the one that lets you hit the easier...right? if so, Buffing ML to Noodleplink might be nice)

The pill Bottle looks like a mixed basket...

Booby Prize/Vanity/Fun Pills
bitter pill (only useful for Slimetubing, though nodules are untradable)
Red Pill (makes text in chat flash green randomly, only lasts for 5 turns, each time it causes text to flash, a turn is removed)
Knob Goblin learning pill (2 stats per fight, -20% meat, -10% item drops...good for Boris and Fist?)

Trivially Situational Pills
concentrated magicalness pill (1 spleen for a little Mys stats...mostly useful for Staff of the Teapot Tempest without RNG screw at Daily Dungeon)
bugbear purification pill (Heals HP...and 1 random negative effect)
Marvin's marvelous pill (20% to all Moxie gains for 10 advs)
neurostim pill (10-20 HP per adv for 10 turns)
physiostim pill (10-20 MP per adv for 10 turns)
Dogsgotnonoz pills (sublime stench resist for 10 turns...possibly nice for Bats, somewhat?)
munchies pill (possibly alright for a day 1 pill, but effects are inferior if you're high skill due to it only awarding more adventures the less amount of advs the food you just ate is low...1 space 3 adv food being 'optimal')

Awesome Pills
distention pill (makes next food 1 less fullness, one a day)
synthetic dog hair pill (reduces Drunkeness by 1, one a day)
vitachoconutriment capsule (gives a 20% buff to one of your stats for 20 adventures, may give adventures when consumed, starts at 5 for 1 pill, 3 for 2 and 1 for 3)

It's possible to get multiple pills and you get 2-3 pills a bottle, chances are id use the bottle if i was a mys class early on in an ascension but never if im a Sauceror, though i may pick the glasses as a Mox or the Comb as a Seal Clubber if i barely hit with a 2 Handed Club at high ML.

Though depending on what IOTMs and difficulty you're on, you might find some of the items might be weird in comparison to other things, like it would be extravagant to have the Double-Ice Cap (VIP Room shower), Shock Belt (Pen Pal), Noodles AND the Comb all in one ascension...
---
RSN: Plucky9, Total: 2312
KoL: Plucky, currently a Pastamancer
#3jletter(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2012 8:56:26 AM
Red Pill (makes text in chat flash green randomly, only lasts for 5 turns, each time it causes text to flash, a turn is removed)

Heh, maybe if you only count in-run, but you've got an interesting definition of "booby prize" considering you can sell those for 120k and 75k respectively if they aren't of interest to you. (Also, to pull a Mastercard, "Confusing newbies who weren't around for that April's Fool? Priceless.")

The doghair and distension might be more useful overall, but those are also really easy to farm. (I mean, assuming you know the correct Grimacite Bunker paths, or don't care about looking at the wiki to find out.) Heck, I've *still* got a pile of them from my last farming binge.

I know I'd rather get bitter pills and red pills for later selling/use, even when in run. (Well, okay, unless I'm specifically trying for a leaderboard spot, then I'd want the doghair or distension.)
But otherwise bitter pills and red pills all the way!
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where everyone is wrong about everything. If it's advice, opinion, or even a general statement, it will be debated here.
#4gamester_12345Posted 7/7/2012 10:01:58 PM
Guess so, i mean i don't do dungeons...though i guess the Red Pill might be interesting for Display Case reasons, i adore collecting items from past events from whatever...if prices are nice, but i wouldn't pay 75k just for a pill that used to drop from a Butt....if anything, the increased influx of keys and people picking the pills inrun might lead to Red Pills exploding in number due to people trying to sell them to each over.

Bitter Pills are usually expensive because their core ingredients are non-tradable, you would have to be a mysticality class (or prepared the reagents in advance) and there's only one nodule per mother slime kill....people might use it to make Slime Equipment instead to get the suit and to have a wearable Slime Hates It effect. :x
---
RSN: Plucky9, Total: 2312
KoL: Plucky, currently a Pastamancer
#5jletter(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2012 8:02:04 PM
Nitpicking!

and there's only one nodule per mother slime kill.
You can actually get two if you go fast enough.
-Complete the dungeon faster than 690 turns and mother slime can (potentially) drop a chamoisole
-Faster than 420 turns and you get one nodule
-Faster than 370 turns and you get two nodules
-Faster than 230 turns and you also get a slimeling

non-tradable
Only in the strictest sense.
If you go to /trade you'll find plenty of people selling and buying them. (Though usually just selling nowadays) It's how I got my first few so I could do runs myself.

You get whitelisted into the clan doing the run, spend 1 turn in the tube (or fighting a puttied/camera slime) then they can distribute it to you. You pay them, they distribute to you. It doesn't go through the official trade mechanic, but they still can be traded in some form. (Unlike, say, a quest item***.)

One reason why this new chefstaff is great is because it gives Slime Hates It without actually requiring a nodule. Which means people who want to build up their slime experience from scratch like how everyone originally had to do it will have an easier time.
(Granted, I find it a bit silly when there are nodules you can buy for you initial Slime Hates It gear to get you started...but to each their own.)

***Yeah, yeah, I'll save another nitpicker the trouble of pointing out the clan-stash Talisman O' Nam exceptions.
---
#6AppleframerPosted 7/8/2012 8:04:15 PM
jletter posted...

The doghair and distension might be more useful overall, but those are also really easy to farm. (I mean, assuming you know the correct Grimacite Bunker paths, or don't care about looking at the wiki to find out.) Heck, I've *still* got a pile of them from my last farming binge.

Yeah, they are certainly easy to get in general, but if I happened to get one of those from a pill bottle while in a Hardcore run I would certainly consider that "awesome".
#7jletter(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2012 11:36:42 PM
Oh, for sure. I certainly don't think they are crappy or anything like that. I was just saying I'd list bitter pills and red pills alongside them in the Awesome category.

Also, since I didn't mention it before:

Munchies pills are also pretty neat - not sure what you're talking about with "being high skilled" because you still should be eating a fortune cookie for your 2nd-and-up SR in-run (unless you're Booze or Oxy, of course). And since you're eating one anyway, getting 3 extra adventures out of it certainly doesn't hurt. I mean, not as nice as some of the others, but it's certainly nicer than "possibly good for day 1".

And while I would call Marvin's situational, seeing as how you need to be moxie to get the most benefit, I certainly wouldn't call +20% to moxie gains "trivial". That's a helluva lot of stats when used with clover/dance card powerleveling in spookyraven.

For an example, let's say you need to level to 13 from 12. And heck, let's say you didn't level at all in the war (thus making your clover less effective). So you've only got 125 moxie. Your clover is going to give you 250 substats, which means you'd get a whopping 50 extra substats with Marvin's on.
50 might not sound like a lot, but think of it this way: you would need to run +400 ML to that that same bonus from a fight. (4ml=1 stat point, and fights distribute at 2:1:1, meaning only half of it is going to your main stat).

The Dis +20% gains (of which Marvin's is one) barely have any competition. The next closest is +10% for myst, and the two sources are both from past items/events.
Otherwise the +5% from the clan shower is the next best bet. And that is good enough that it's pretty much the only use for the shower during any sort of serious run (after making an icecap if you need it, and assuming you're still not trying to discover Amazing Ideas).

Well, alright, there is potentially +20% from pain dip if you're keeping it maxed out during adventuring, but that isn't an option during a run.
---