Hoping you can go into the LA hills as well

#1gillriPosted 5/10/2011 3:50:25 AM

Would be awesome looking down on 40's LA at sunset whilst contemplating gathered clues

#2CutterDeBlancPosted 5/10/2011 4:06:11 AM
Time is static based on the case you're doing. Hopefully there will be one at sunset.
---
No habla espaņol.
#3btaylorstlPosted 5/10/2011 9:09:20 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about this myself. Does anyone know if the Hollywood hills will be in this game? My initial inclination, unfortunately, is that I don't think they will be, because I seem to remember reading someone who knew 1940's L.A. historically very well saying something like its bounded on the north by Wilshire Blvd. I could be mistaken about that, but I'm pretty sure the hills (and Mulholland) are north of Wilshire.

Not the end of the world if it's not there, but it would be really cool. The view from the hills in Midnight Club: Los Angeles was just stunning.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/28/06
#4Drizzy_DrizakePosted 5/10/2011 9:24:00 AM
Well I know they got the Hollywood Land sign so I would think you could go there.
---
Formerly known as Darkmagic3
In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces.~Zapp
#5sunday_is_overPosted 5/10/2011 9:25:22 AM
They did make mention of the 'HOLLYWOODLAND' sign being in the playable area. Don't have time to go digging for that interview though.
#6ForcefulBootPosted 5/10/2011 9:25:43 AM
is this the area over where the Hollywood sign is?
---
gigabyte ma790fxt-ud5p, AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, Patriot DDR3, Radeon 4890, Powerbird 900 watt
#7btaylorstlPosted 5/10/2011 9:26:00 AM
Yeah, so I dug up the article that I was referring to above, and the guy said that the map's northern border is roughly at Franklin Avenue, which unfortunately is south of the Hollywood Hills. From the way the map is shaped, it doesn't look like Laurel Canyon and Coldwater Canyon are drivable, and you need to get up those to get to Mulholland. So it looks like we won't be able to drive around in the hills in this game.

Link: http://www.1947project.com/47PplaysLANoire

It's a really interesting article; it's quite critical of the game in terms of minute geographic accuracy, but the nature of the criticisms he makes seem so picky that it's clear that in the broad sense, at least, the city is very accurately recreated. If his complaints are mainly that signs exist that didn't exist until the early 50's, or that there were stairs rather than a road at a certain intersection, I feel pretty confident that they got the big stuff right.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/28/06
#8btaylorstlPosted 5/10/2011 9:28:44 AM
They did make mention of the 'HOLLYWOODLAND' sign being in the playable area.

I'd really like to see that article; I hope like hell that it's true, but they may have just been referring to the playable area including a place where you can see the sign, not necessarily go behind it or right up to it. You can definitely see the sign from Sunset Blvd, which is certainly in the game, but if the map hits the northern edge at Franklin, it seems doubtful that you can get up there, unless of course they took significant liberties with the geographic realities, which it doesn't sound like they did in general.

Crossing my fingers though. If anyone can find that interview where this is mentioned, I'd love to see it.
---
#9kcheung5440Posted 5/10/2011 9:41:25 AM
I wouldn't mind the sign being visible (even if unapproachable). I guess I got to climb all over it enough in San Andreas.
---
Could I have some salamanders, please?
#10Gamehunter23Posted 5/10/2011 11:33:16 AM
CutterDeBlanc posted...
Time is static based on the case you're doing. Hopefully there will be one at sunset.

Balls...
---
"You can't spell assassin without sin -- and twice the ass!" -Deadpool (MvC3:FTW)
PSN: Ometga