The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Love/Hate Ending (obvious spoilers)

#1ReavenMKPosted 11/24/2012 11:58:44 AM
*slight spoilers from Red Dead too *

From what I searched in the forum, many people hated the ending. I too hated it. But that's why I loved it. Not all endings should be happy. This one is frustrating. But that's the good thing in it. It's a tale about crimes, love, and corruption, like a noir story. It's a sad and horrible world. And as such, Phelps and Kelso couldn't have discovered all the plot and apprehended all the bad guys. No, the bad guys have won. It's not a bitter-sweet ending like Red Dead Redemption, no, it's bitter to the end. The police and the Mayor managed to make Phelps a hero and at the same time, used the doctor and Monroe as scapegoats and the only responsibles (after all, one is dead, another is irreversible guilt). Even the DA was coerced in their ways. Excellent ending, frustrating, but excellent. I hope Rockstar never, even in a LA Noire 2 changes it.
---
Hence forth you shall be known as
#2BodeciaBustPosted 11/24/2012 3:42:50 PM
ReavenMK posted...
From what I searched in the forum, many people hated the ending.

Really? I don't recall that. I know some people hated the lame way Phelps died, or even the entire 'ending' including the final mission, which resorted to SHOOT GUNS LOTS and a ******* Obligatory Sewer Level. 99.9999% of us will never even go in a sewer, or know that you could go in one, but everyone in video games seems to love wading in ****. Made a change from air ducts at first, but it's been overdone for a long time...
---
Made you look.
#3silly_sausagePosted 11/27/2012 5:56:11 PM
ReavenMK posted...
But that's why I loved it. Not all endings should be happy. This one is frustrating. But that's the good thing in it.

If it weren't for the fact that the dark and gritty "downer ending" where the hero dies or is otherwise left miserable and broken, is completely overused these days, bordering on cliché. Especially with Rockstar games.

That's what frustrates me. I get that in the real world, it isn't all sunshine and daisies, I get that the bad guys can sometimes win, I get that bad things can happen to good people, I get that people sometimes need to make sacrifices, I get all that jazz. It doesn't mean it needs to get forced into every game for the sake of adding edge or gritty realism.
---
John Lennon, 1940 - (Infinite Symbol)
PSN: naathaann
#4TrulyEpicLawlsPosted 11/28/2012 12:05:00 PM
silly_sausage posted...
ReavenMK posted...
But that's why I loved it. Not all endings should be happy. This one is frustrating. But that's the good thing in it.

If it weren't for the fact that the dark and gritty "downer ending" where the hero dies or is otherwise left miserable and broken, is completely overused these days, bordering on cliché. Especially with Rockstar games.

That's what frustrates me. I get that in the real world, it isn't all sunshine and daisies, I get that the bad guys can sometimes win, I get that bad things can happen to good people, I get that people sometimes need to make sacrifices, I get all that jazz. It doesn't mean it needs to get forced into every game for the sake of adding edge or gritty realism.

It wasn't forced, and wasn't really a Rockstar game. It's noir, and in noir the bad guys win. I also don't recall Rockstar games where something bad was forced.
---
The two argument-winning fads of forums: 1) Say 'calm down'. 2) Anyone with a view/opinion different to yours must be a troll, so you must therefore state this.
#5silly_sausagePosted 11/28/2012 12:59:14 PM
TrulyEpicLawls posted...
It wasn't forced, and wasn't really a Rockstar game. It's noir, and in noir the bad guys win. I also don't recall Rockstar games where something bad was forced

Okay, "forced" a was poor choice of word, but that's besides the point. And I know this was mostly only published by Rockstar, but again, that's beside the point.

As for the "But that's what happens in Noir", yes, good point, and for what it's worth, I never said I hated LA Noire's ending, just the idea of "no good endings" in general.
---
John Lennon, 1940 - (Infinite Symbol)
PSN: naathaann
#6_Moron_Posted 12/12/2012 5:39:15 PM
I have an idea for a better ending:

Elsa- *drives off in a convertible*
Roy Earle- *attempts to shoot the tires off*
Cole- *attempts to wrestle Roy's gun away from him*
Random Police Officer-*fires three shots at Elsa's car before it stops with the horn continually honking*
Cole- *looks in shock*
Roy Earle- Kelso, get Phelps out of here. Go home Cole. I'm doing you a favor Cole*
Jack Kelso- Forget it Cole, it's L.A.

Badass huh?
---
Chuck Norris doesn't need to run for president, he's already won.
#7The_Beer_NinjaPosted 12/16/2012 7:53:09 AM
Props for the Chinatown reference!
#8Sony_FanaticPosted 12/27/2012 5:48:15 AM
_Moron_ posted...
I have an idea for a better ending:

Elsa- *drives off in a convertible*
Roy Earle- *attempts to shoot the tires off*
Cole- *attempts to wrestle Roy's gun away from him*
Random Police Officer-*fires three shots at Elsa's car before it stops with the horn continually honking*
Cole- *looks in shock*
Roy Earle- Kelso, get Phelps out of here. Go home Cole. I'm doing you a favor Cole*
Jack Kelso- Forget it Cole, it's L.A.

Badass huh?

I'd say some bad things to you if I hadn't read your username first.
---
PSN PHOENIX_4pp
Platinum Trophies Modern Warfare 3 | Motorstorm: Apocalypse
#9calindreamsPosted 1/1/2013 7:07:05 AM
Wasn't so keen on the action oriented last section but I did like the end of the story. I don't usually like unhappy endings, unless they feel like they are integral to the the mood of the story, not just tacked on to be different.

This was a kind of swan song to an era, and the death of the main character in this story didn't feel out of place.
#10LastBatallionPosted 1/12/2013 9:30:51 PM
Well, a lot of noir stories do end up in a shootout. Rarely in a sewer, but it does happen, so I suppose that part is kinda accurate.

And not to be "That Guy", but quite a good bunch of noir ended in a somewhat happy ending. Well, bittersweet, to be exact: Dick Gumshoe rolled up all the crooks, but he didn't get the girl or failed to do something that cost the girl her life, and as he stared on as every single one of the crooks getting carted into either a police van or a meat wagon, he lit up a smoke, makes some quips about how "People = Excrement", and walked and vanished into a smokey alley.

I guess that was the kind of ending I was expecting, but I'll take what I can get.