Improving the Game

#1TwylatharkPosted 11/28/2012 12:50:52 PM
I love this game. It exceeds my expectations in terms of gameplay and atmosphere. However, there are a couple changes/additions that could have been made to transform L.A. Noire from amazing to phenomenal.

1. Obviously, a branching storyline. The cases are too linear. I want to see actual feedback from my mistakes. Different choices should create different outcomes. This would have skyrocketed replayability. I can't understand how Team Bondi overlooked what should have been a fundamental feature to the plot.

2. A (gameplay) focus on Phelps as a human rather than as just a detective. There should have been downtime between and during cases. A house you could go home to (a place you could come to think of as "safe" and "yours", which might later become a crime scene in itself). A wife to interact with. An office where you could pore over your case files and and draw conclusions about your work. It would have been nice to have to eat every now and then as well, or perhaps have a few tasks to do unrelated to your police work. I want to feel like I'm a detective in 1940s L.A., not feel like I'm experiencing a few moments in the life of one.

These are my main two complaints. In fact, I enjoy the game so much that its actually depressing thinking about the depth the game could have had with these simple amendments.

How would you improve the game?
#2TrulyEpicLawlsPosted 11/28/2012 1:02:51 PM
Simply: Let Rockstar or other quality developer make it rather than a thousand overworked, unpaid rookie temps being overseen by Hitler.
---
The two argument-winning fads of forums: 1) Say 'calm down'. 2) Anyone with a view/opinion different to yours must be a troll, so you must therefore state this.
#3laszlo_olzsalPosted 11/30/2012 1:34:52 PM(edited)
Horror stories of team Bondi notwithstanding, there are several things that could have made it better.

1. Better free roam immersion. There are just a few street crime cases, cars, film reels and badges which can be found in the storyline - why not make more details of the city interactive and playable? I want to go inside the theaters and flush out perps hiding in there. The museum can be entered, why not the Bradbury building? I want to see more nods to film noir/pulp novel history. Wouldn't it be cool to see Sam Spade or Phillip Marlowe's offices? Geiger's Books are in there, why not the Acme book shop with Dorothy Malone?

2. Non-linear casework. The entire interrogation/indictment process is cumbersome and tedious. What would have made it better is if wrong decisions & choices actually changed the outcome. What if I chose none of the usual suspects? I should solve the Black Dahlia case earlier and reach the real killer quicker!

3. Other playable character(s). This would have cost much more time & money in development but just playing as l.a. cop Cole was very limiting. I want to play a private detective who has no ties to the law and can afford to be unscrupulous when dealing with clients and perps. Even if it had been an add on to the main story, it would've been cool.

4. More sexual themes. The game already has nudity and adult themes, why not include sex handled with class? I'm not talking necessarily with the wifey character either. If they made Veronica Lake, Bacall, Monroe lookalikes in the game I want to do them. Or at least actively pursue doing them. I know there are a bunch of character actors & actresses (many from Mad Men) already in the game but I'd love more nods to the classic noir actresses.

Still a great game. Here's hoping a sequel will be considered along with all these ideas.
#4git2thechoppaPosted 12/1/2012 4:52:09 PM
laszlo_olzsal posted...
4. More sexual themes. The game already has nudity and adult themes, why not include sex handled with class? I'm not talking necessarily with the wifey character either. If they made Veronica Lake, Bacall, Monroe lookalikes in the game I want to do them. Or at least actively pursue doing them. I know there are a bunch of character actors & actresses (many from Mad Men) already in the game but I'd love more nods to the classic noir actresses.

How mature.
---
I went to GameFAQs and all I got was this lousy sig.
#5dlfPosted 12/7/2012 7:34:43 PM
If the next one does have a radio - more station options and the option to choose weather it's on or not. I do love history and it was really really nice to hear old broadcasts - though some variety would be nice. I think one of the things the 'radio' did was quite quite long - if you started playing daylight it'd stop sometime with lights out.
---
I will eventually build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/feJI. Rate or suggest changes
#6git2thechoppaPosted 12/8/2012 3:42:12 PM
dlf posted...
If the next one does have a radio - more station options and the option to choose weather it's on or not. I do love history and it was really really nice to hear old broadcasts - though some variety would be nice. I think one of the things the 'radio' did was quite quite long - if you started playing daylight it'd stop sometime with lights out.

Mafia II is awesome for radio.
---
I went to GameFAQs and all I got was this lousy sig.
#7Twylathark(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2012 12:07:28 PM
I really enjoyed the original music, so I didn't mind the lack of radio control.
#8silly_sausagePosted 12/12/2012 7:33:23 PM
I love 1940s popular music, and so a radio full of the stuff was awesome... which made it all the more frustrating that you were forced to listen to the original stuff most of the time. So yeah, I definitely agree with the gentleman who suggested the option to choose whether you listen to the radio or not.
---
John Lennon, 1940 - (Infinite Symbol)
PSN: naathaann
#9Sin JackalPosted 12/25/2012 8:06:52 PM
More cases

Less linear cases

More than one way to finish a case properly (and I don't mean a sloppier finish). It sucks how there's a "correct" rock paper scissors response to questioning, and if you get any of the RPS replies wrong, you just screwed it up. I didn't like that aspect of it.

I agree with the OP's suggestion of more downtime rather than instantly transition to several days later right as they're getting another case. The main character's wife eventually dying and his own house becoming a crime scene was a nice idea too. The main character could even be a suspect, and has to sneak around the law to clear his name despite restricted access to the crime scene.

More interactions with characters would've been nice too. Like around the police station.
#10Huskies7774Posted 12/27/2012 6:46:07 PM
I would say that there should more of a reason to want to explore the amazingly rendered city of L.A. besides finding the film reels like little GTA style Easter Eggs. Much of it is skippable save for getting trophies on PSN.
---
I beat my 5 year Lipper Average.