Why exactly is Vice considered a step up from Homicide? (spoilers)

#1slk_23Posted 1/31/2014 6:46:46 PM
Is this how police departments operate in real life? I thought that homicide was a very serious crime that police consider it an honor to solve. So why is trivial stuff like drug abuse considered a higher priority for them? Why would you go from solving murders, get promoted, and go to solving petty nonsense? And where exactly does Arson fit into all this because it's implied to be lower than Vice, but it's not clear as to whether it's lower than Homicide.
---
http://i.imgur.com/5ldCA.gif http://www.moviesandtvhistoryguy.com/Scarlett_Johansson.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nAJVH.png
#2InfernoSDPosted 2/1/2014 9:11:17 AM
Roy more-or-less tells you outright that he had to pull some strings to get Cole there. I think it's acknowledged there that it's sort of a downgrade, even though the game uses the word "promotion".

As for what cases each desk throws at you, Vice is clearly dealing with a higher level of criminals and more complicated investigations than Homicide. And Arson only builds off of that. But I couldn't say how much this game reflects real life. I imagine that any case involving murder would be primarily a thing for Homicide to handle, instead of how it is in this game where Cole is the de facto leader of everything.
---
|| ||\ || ||"" ||"" ||"") ||\ || /''''\
|| || \|| ||"" ||, ||""\ || \|| \,,,/
#3InfernoSDPosted 2/1/2014 9:19:31 AM
I guess I shouldn't say that. If there's already an investigation into a specific criminal organization, like the whole morphine network in this game, then it makes perfect sense for Vice to be in charge. But yeah, it's tough to get a sense of what parts of this game are realistic and what parts are purposely off their mark for the sake of good storytelling and gameplay.
---
|| ||\ || ||"" ||"" ||"") ||\ || /''''\
|| || \|| ||"" ||, ||""\ || \|| \,,,/
#4silly_sausagePosted 2/2/2014 7:24:12 AM
InfernoSD posted...
Roy more-or-less tells you outright that he had to pull some strings to get Cole there. I think it's acknowledged there that it's sort of a downgrade, even though the game uses the word "promotion".

This. Cole shows... not exactly reluctance, but he's not particularly happy about his "promotion".

I guess Vice is seen as more of a glamourous assignment too, up in Hollywood, usually dealing with models and musicians, the rich and famous. At least in the cases Cole got.
---
John Lennon, 1940 - (Infinite Symbol)
PSN: naathaann
#5git2thechoppaPosted 2/2/2014 10:11:05 PM
Explained in very first cutscene.
---
I went to GameFAQs and all I got was this lousy sig.
#6drclaeysPosted 2/13/2014 5:58:44 AM
Friends,

You raise some very valid points. I am also not sure why Roy would want Cole on his team. if cole is a goody-goody, and roy, just makes his own rules. It would seem to be a Threat, more then a help.

Still a very good game. I put this on the "must play" list. Not that its 10/10, but its different enough to show a gamer what is possible.

Thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan
Chris Christie for 2016, if you dont vote for him, he will shut down all your bridges. Sandy Relief money, I THOUGHT that was mine.
#7TrulyEpicLawlsPosted 2/16/2014 12:45:53 PM
drclaeys posted...
Friends,

You raise some very valid points. I am also not sure why Roy would want Cole on his team. if cole is a goody-goody, and roy, just makes his own rules. It would seem to be a Threat, more then a help.

Still a very good game. I put this on the "must play" list. Not that its 10/10, but its different enough to show a gamer what is possible.

Thank you for sharing.

OH GOD, drclaeys is on this forum now. God have mercy on us all.

Just to forewarn you, all of his posts go like this:

Friends,

Insert reponse that doesn't answer any questions asked.

Insert unrelated positive review of this game in short sentence.

Thank you for sharing.

EVERY. TIME. As you can see. Jerk.
---
How to win an argument: 'calm down', 'troll', 'hater', 'you obviously...', 'LOL', 'I don't care', 'I'm done', 'actually I think this is hilarious'
#8X_WeaponPosted 3/7/2014 12:59:53 PM
I see this "promotion" this way: The Homicide is the better place to stay, even Cole say that he never thinked that could be something up the Homicide in a dialogue after he got the promotion.
Then Roy tell him that he pushed for taking him over the Vice.
It isn't a truw promotion, they just needed to lock out Cole from the Homicide after the events of his last case.
---
http://gxcatalogare.blogspot.it/
--- Manco' la fortuna, non il Valore.
#9jtrevor99Posted 3/21/2014 7:25:42 PM
TrulyEpicLawls posted...

Friends,

Thank you for sharing.

You've never met someone from Ukraine, have you? I used to work with international students from Ukraine and Belarus, and this syntax is considered polite in their culture. I know that you wrote this post over a month ago, but given what's going on in Ukraine right now, you really should cut him a break.
#108The_GuvPosted 3/22/2014 3:49:13 PM
jtrevor99 posted...
TrulyEpicLawls posted...

Friends,

Thank you for sharing.

You've never met someone from Ukraine, have you? I used to work with international students from Ukraine and Belarus, and this syntax is considered polite in their culture. I know that you wrote this post over a month ago, but given what's going on in Ukraine right now, you really should cut him a break.

What the heck does it have to do with Ukraine? He's not Ukrainian, and even if he was why are you pulling the war card? Perhaps you should cut HIM a break before jumping to conclusions and making presumptions, because the Dr guy drives all the boards nuts and consider him rude.
---
"A banned word was found in your signature, *****"