This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Co-op: Does it Ruin Horror Games?

#1SlowBoatToChinaPosted 3/21/2009 11:36:24 PM
Before I say anything, I haven't played RE5 yet, and can't wait to do so. I'm sure that it's a kick ass game but I'm concerned about the co-op aspect of it, and I wanted to know everyone's opinions. For me, part of what makes the RE series (and all horror games, for that matter) so great is the sense of facing the fear alone. In most horror games, you play mostly alone, with other characters present for plot concerns, etc.; in Dead Space, for example, you have other characters, but they don't help you get through the challenges set before you, they only direct you through the ship to your next objective. In RE4, part of what was so unsettling about the main story was the loss of communication with anyone but Saddler and his goons, because at that point there was no turning back and you knew that your buddies back in America couldn't help you.

I think the feeling of isolation is key in any horror game. Just think: it wouldn't be scary if you had a troop of special ops guys at your back ready to support you. That being said, the idea of co-op sort of disturbs me, because I feel like the isolation aspect of the game will be lost. Now, I haven't played it yet so I can't say that that aspect actually HAS been lost. I also certainly don't think co-op will suck or that it wont be fun; actually, I am excited to play through it with my friend, jap_juice. I just think that co-op threatens that atmosphere of isolation which causes the ever-present feeling of danger or alarm. Sure, playing a single-player game with your real friend sitting next to you while you trade off playing is one thing, but to actually have that friend support you in game defeats the purpose, I think. Since I haven't played the game, does anyone have a more informed opinion? NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
#2CaterwaulPosted 3/21/2009 11:39:36 PM
How about relying on each other, and then being forced to split up? Does that up the tension a bit for you? They did that maybe 5 or 6 times during the game.
#3magusx666Posted 3/21/2009 11:41:53 PM
It can give you a sense of false safety that can quickly melt away into terror as you realize your partner and you have become separated by a horde of enemies, leading to certain death. All sorts of new issues arise because of the co-op. Anyway, people will gripe about it because nothing will be good unless they just keep making the same game over and over again (old RE design, despite what technology will allow for now). It's fun and it can be intense. As far as the whole "horror game" issue, though, you're going to be getting into the whine-fest over how the new games are better or the old games are better. Either learn to enjoy both or start arguing with people.
---
But there's no sense crying over every mistake!
You just keep on trying until you run out of cake!
#4rann89Posted 3/21/2009 11:42:08 PM
Bosses are way easier with a friend. AI doesn't understand that there's some situations where you need to GET THE FK AWAY FROM ME, SHEVA!

And after Resident Evil 4, this series isn't even horror anymore. It's an action game where crappy aiming means you lose.
#5SlowBoatToChina(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2009 11:49:02 PM
In the end, I guess I'll have to try it. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trashing on the game, or saying any old format/game was better, I was just wondering what the co-op did to the game mechanic. I'm really excited to play it because I think it has the potential to be awesome. Also, is the second person AI controlled unless you have a friend to grab a controller, or are their different single-player and co-op storylines?
#6rann89Posted 3/21/2009 11:56:02 PM
If there's no partner, it's AI controlled. The game is the same as far as I know. I haven't finished it yet. The game's still cool, don't get me wrong. It's just irritating how certain fights are obviously coop-based, but your partner won't give you space.
#7KenGi1226Posted 3/22/2009 12:51:54 AM
How about relying on each other, and then being forced to split up? Does that up the tension a bit for you? They did that maybe 5 or 6 times during the game.

All those moments were laughable, specifically because your partner was merely a few seconds away from you at all times every time.