Just got the game, my thoughts and impressions.

#1Justice98405Posted 7/15/2011 5:21:32 AM
No demo, which is a bummer, and the reviews had kept me at bay since getting my PS3 early this year. I don't like Sixaxis, but I had heard that even with the analog sticks patch it wasn't that great.
But I got this game on a whim essentially. I needed something to get me into the free shipping from Amazon, and I tossed this in there since it was only 15 dollars. I figured worst case, I could give it to a friend/co-worker.
But I'm pleasantly surprised. It's certainly forth 15-20. Had I paid full price, not likely.
It's a game with a GREAT concept, and some good ideas, but it suffers from 'lack of more' as I'll call it. I play many games where I can't help but think of certain things personally and/or just that the game overall could have had so much more in it and going for it.
Visually it doesn't stand up that well, but it's an early game, so that's okay. But if a sequel was made, the visuals would be incredible, that'd be for sure.
Gameplay works well enough with the dual sticks patch, and there's some cool gameplay ideas, like the takedowns and the one-on-one dragon duels in mid-air. I don't know if more gameplay is revealed as you go, I'm still early in the game, but this mechanic could certainly have used more to it. Maybe a straight-up grapple system as well, and the ability to throw them as well. More types of attacks too, maybe slashs with the hind legs, and maybe a tail attack as well. But what they've got is very cool as it is.
And I LOVE that you can dive bomb enemy troops, grab and rip/destroy large pieces of enemy gear/warfare, and ESPECIALLY that you can pluck enemy units from the ground, fly around with them, and then toss them to their death. Again, I don't know if they add this later in the game, or I just don't know how to do it, but it'd be AWESOME if you could then throw the single enemy troop back at groups of other ground troops to do damage, maybe 'fire charge' them with dragon breath, so that they become a projectile grenade basically. How cool would THAT be?
But yea, overall, I'm pleased with my purchase, I'm glad that I gave the game a try, on a whim, and I'll say this for anyone that's on the fence or JUST on the side of not getting it. Give it a try, for 15-20 dollars, you can do some really fun stuff in this game.
Other peoples' thoughts and impressions of the game?
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#2ThaHousePosted 7/15/2011 9:34:49 AM
I find it very enjoyable as well its just frustrating at times (Im forcing myself to use the six-axis) at locking on to objects at times but honestly the game is fairly easy which helps make up for it. And the story so far is entertaining.

*Spoilers*

Im really interested in seeing why the Diviner wanted the two sides to go to war
---
Lakers-Packers-Angels
#3ChangliniPosted 7/16/2011 8:37:01 PM
I agree with the wanting more bit.

Now, the game does go into detail on a ground tail attack but, that's in thew latter parts of the game or back in the training area which as the commentary mode states, has added additional training courses. Though I don't know if the enemies you fling at other enemies can register as a projectile.

Also, have you downloaded the absurdly small in content but free dragon dlc?
---
NER , Oh how you haunt me. CON2(3052-7931-2401)Utilityguy
The server El Nido is called El Nino or El Ninorino in my book
#4Justice98405(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2011 11:42:21 PM
"Also, have you downloaded the absurdly small in content but free dragon dlc?"

Yes, but I haven't seen an option to use them. I'm assuming it's open when replaying a level again, and not on the first time through. Or I'm just not seeing the ability to switch.
---
To the mattresses.
#5spaceboy21Posted 7/18/2011 6:10:25 AM
yeah I think you're stables are availabe to choose your dragons (dlc plus in game dragons) on a 2nd playthrough.
#6fvjonjPosted 7/18/2011 11:22:14 AM
I picked up this game a week ago and I'm quite enjoying it. I tried the stick control, but I settled on the six-axis control instead. Oddly, I like it better.
#7Justice98405(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2011 11:54:40 AM
One of my best friends asked me if I was going to try the Sixaxis controls, and I told him 'hell no'.
The ONLY things I even tolerate the Sixaxis in so far is the minigames in Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and their implimentation in Folklore. I used the sticks in Heavenly Sword, couldn't stand the lack of response of Sixaxis in that.
But maybe I'll have to try it at least once in LAIR, just to see what it's like.
---
To the mattresses.
#8spaceboy21Posted 7/19/2011 8:28:40 AM
I liked the sixaxis in Lair quite a bit actually. I did start with it, then switch to sticks to try it out, but went back to sixaxis. I thought it worked pretty well once you commit to it and it gives it a bit of an extra feeling of flying. The dragons are less nimble than a fighter jet of course, but also more graceful. So I think the sixaxis worked well for that.

FYI - you can get the incredible soundtrack at itunes. Search for John Debney / Lair. It's one of my favorites.
#9battlfrnt2006Posted 7/19/2011 10:30:12 PM

I just got this game today, and I'm really liking it. It was originally one of the first games I wanted to get with my PS3, but that never ended up happening. I'm glad I finally did buy it though, it's a very underrated title, especially considering that the developers added in the option for analog controls. The graphics are breathtaking, the action is intense, and you get to fly freakin dragons. 'Nuff said.

#10vegafooPosted 8/12/2011 4:31:48 PM
I love the sixaxis controls and have used them every time. I think they work great. The only thing wrong with them is the motion for the forward dash and the 360 flip (the game would often confuse the two) but you can just use the d-pad for those now so the controls are just fine.

I think the biggest problem that people have with the controls is that they don't know how to use the lock-on button. (And to be fair, the game never really explains this properly)

The key is to never use it, unless you want to target a specific dragon or object for a takedown only. If you're just flying around shooting fireballs, don't use the lock-on button. If you do the camera can go crazy and it makes the controls feel weird and sluggish trying to catch up.

The game automatically targets enemies just by you looking at them. You can see that little white aura around an enemy you're looking at, that means they will be targeted. The lock-on button turns that aura red, and like I said, it should only be used for takedowns and such.

Once you learn the difference between the different types of lock-on, I promise you that the game will become more fun and that the controls will seem a lot more natural and smoother.

But whatever, anyone can play the game however they want. This is just my advice as a player who loves Lair and has beaten it many many times. Hope that helps.
---
PSN: vegafoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlP_UK6LEFc