Best Skill Sets

#1highflyin10Posted 6/29/2009 2:00:08 PM
I was wondering what you all thought were the best skill sets.

-auto heal (we all know that's a must)

I'm using
-hit
-atk
-gunslinger
-spd

I think that's it there might be one more i'm forgetting

I was wondering if the defense is considered a must later or what you guys think is a must or that you just use alot.
---
Xbox Gamer Tag-Rugal
#2NadyanovaPosted 7/5/2009 2:12:41 PM
I was using those in the beginning too and in the long run for the irish sniper... - but after about mission 12ish, this game stopped being a shooter and is all about magic and swords - no one uses the guns.... so the skills are set accordingly.... that defense one, once it gets to high levels is hard to drop.
---
Prepare to be purified! - Freya
#3FallenBluePosted 7/6/2009 6:59:10 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the best skills are. Obviously, Spd boost and auto-recovery are a must.

But what about ATK boost, HP boost, Def boost. (which of the two is better?) Find weakness, Aegis(how often does it kick in?), Light-footed strikes me as a useless skill, except on Elisa and Jack
#4RaphmattPosted 7/9/2009 8:50:11 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5RaphmattPosted 7/9/2009 9:04:26 AM
(Warning: Character spoilers)

Your mileage may vary, but this is what I used for my game. It may not suit your playing style, but I pretty much sprinted through the missions without too much difficulty and got all of the achievements (Victoria Cross included) with this build, so you might want to consider it:

Edward: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost.

Jude: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost. It doesn't really matter. I'd actually not even use him the entire game since all he's good for is sucking up everyone else's EXP.

Cordelia: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Focus. I never ran out of MS with her, so I don't think Providence would be necessary.

Gallant: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost. Replace with Find Weakness when you clear AR14. It only affects guns and knives, but Gallant should be using Bazookas the entire game.

Keith: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost. Replace with Find Weakness when you clear AR14. It only affects guns and knives, but Keith should be using Bazookas the entire game.

Frank: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost to help with leveling him up, then MS Boost or Providence to get more Mjolnir's Wrath out of him. IMO, Focus with that is overkill. I'd rather get more shots.

Cynthia: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost, though you may want to consider MS enhancing skills late game since the regular sniper shot becomes less effective.

Herbert: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost to help with leveling him up, then MS Boost if you want to keep him as support. If you want to keep him in an offensive role, giving him Find Weakness and having him running around one-shot stabbing infantry with a bayonet works surprisingly well. Side note: If you make him one of your bazooka characters for the first half of the game, he can actually keep up levels with your team. I had no problem keeping him at the same level, unlike a lot of people.

(Last warning, spoilers!)

Jack: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost. Replace with Find Weakness when you clear AR14. It only affects guns and knives, but Jack should be using either a bazooka (only early on to quickly level him) or a bayonet for the entire game.

Elisa: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost. Replace with Find Weakness when you clear AR14. It only affects guns and knives, but Elisa should be using either a bazooka (only early on to quickly level her) or her sword for the entire game.

Lewis: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost to help with leveling him up, then MS Boost or Providence to get more Archangel Calls out of him. IMO, Focus with that is overkill. I'd rather get more shots.

Max: Auto Restoration, Defense Boost, HP Boost, Speed Boost. Free slot: Attack Boost. Replace with Find Weakness when you clear AR14. It only affects guns and knives, but Max should be using either a bazooka (only early on to quickly level him) or a 2H sword for the entire game.
---
---
http://profile.mygamercard.net/1/Raphman%20X
#6RaphmattPosted 7/9/2009 9:04:39 AM
You can play though the game without Auto Restore and use that slot for something better, but IMO that makes the game too painful to play through. Here's some extra info for the skills:

Improves or defends against all attacks: Attack Boost, Defense Boost. Incredibly useful.
Improves only MS attacks: Focus, Providence.
Improves only gun and/or knife attacks: Assassin (Knives), Blade Master (Knives), Find Weakness (Both), Gunslinger (Guns), Hit Boost (Both), Marksman (Guns), Precision (Both), Sharpshooter (Both). Generally worthless with the exception of Find Weakness, which also substantially increases your damage against vehicles and...other large enemies.
Defends against only gun and/or knife attacks: Aegis, Avoidance, Endurance, Guard, Toughness. I'm not too sure about Aegis or Guard, but they're still not worth it IMO.
Miscellaneous: Auto Restoration, HP Boost, Light-footed, MS Boost, Speed Boost.

Recommended final weapons:
Edward: Sten and 2H sword (recommend Dragonslayer).
Cordelia: Bayonet.
Gallant: Bazooka and Bayonet.
Keith: Bazooka and Bayonet.
Frank: Bayonet.
Cynthia: Sniper rifle and Bayonet.
Herbert: PPSh1941 SMG (if you can find it) and a Bayonet.
Jack: Bayonet.
Elisa: Killer Sword.
Lewis: Pistol and Bayonet.
Max: 2H sword (recommend Dragonslayer).

Hopefully this helps.
---
---
#7NadyanovaPosted 7/13/2009 9:09:32 AM
Thanks for that list - that's great perspective. I love this game.

You asked about light-footed. I stuck that onto my grunts and they now can move more squares than all but the wolfs and the fire witch. It was a good choice for them, I mostly use the grunts to place anti-tank mines at boss and reinforcement load-in points, so their ability to sprint across the map is essential to me.

I use blademaster on all my sword weilders (until I get Find Weakness) - it seems to notch the damage up for guys like Jack, just enough to kill things like vampires without a special attack. I don't put blades on everyone (like in the list above) just Jack, Van Helsing, Edward, and Frank. I've tried blades on some of the others and did not get the pay back I was looking for. Also, keep in mind that the Wolves get an unarmed attack called "Werewolves Punch" that can take out a tank with one-hit. Keep that in mind before handing them anything that they can't just toss away whenever they like like a grenade etc.

Here is my weapon set-up and skill assignments - I play a heavily magiced game for reference:

Edward: Muramasa Blade (two-handed sword), no SMG or anything else, ever, this guy is too slow to even give grenades too imo - never got the payback from the extra wieght and ms cost of the SMG special attack so I don't use that either // SKILLS: Auto-Restoration, SPD Boost, MS Boost, Find Weakness (Blademaster until then), Defense Boost

Cordelia: Nothing, ever! the lighter she is the more turns she gets and the quicker the level is over. imo she will never get close enough to the enemy to use anything but special attacks, she and the wolves do most of the heavy lifting // SKILLS: Auto-Restoration, SPD Boost, MS Boost, Find Weakness (Attack Boost until then), Defense Boost

James: Something disposable - that keeps his weight in the green, early game it's grenades, mid to late game its bazookas. The unarmed Werewolf's Punch is the strongest attack in the game - i'm not going to mess with that. // SKILLS: Auto-Restoration, SPD Boost, MS Boost, Find Weakness (Attack Boost until then), Defense Boost

Keith: see James. Keith is a copy of James - just can move less squares is all.

Frank: Broadsword is primary, then something disposable depending on the situation, usually a disposable bazooka // SKILLS: Auto-Restoration, SPD Boost, Blademaster, Find Weakness (Attack Boost until then), Defense Boost

Cynthia: Sniper rifle, she is way to slow for anything else, once magiers and vampires show up, drop to 0 ammunition - she doesn't need ammo in inventory for her MS attacks and it's just more weight. // SKILLS: Auto-Restoration, SPD Boost, MS Boost, Find Weakness (Attack Boost until then), Defense Boost

Herbert: nothing, let him scrounge around if he really gets an oppurtunity to kill anything, most of the time everything will be dead by the time he hits the front lines, plus I need him nimble to position himself for battle support, aka keeping Van Helsing and Jack available. // SKILLS: Auto-Restoration, SPD Boost, MS Boost, Providence (nothing usefull before then), Defense Boost
---
#8NadyanovaPosted 7/13/2009 9:11:06 AM
!! Spoiler Warning !!

Lewis: Pistol, nothing else - guy is too slow. His Enrage MS skill can turn Cordelia into a 1 or 2 hit tank killer. He travels closely with her - if he does make a kill, its an MS attack. I tried giving him a sword for awhile, he just couldn't make it up front in time to be usefull // SKILLS: Auto-Restoration, SPD Boost, Gunslinger, Find Weakness (Attack Boost before then), Defense Boost

Jack the Ripper: Bayonet and something disposable, grenades in the beginning, Gaballte Ledung as the game progresses, I need his speed. Without blademaster I've found it impossible for him to kill Vampires without an MS attack, he also gets alot of MS by default so no MS boosting required // SKILLS: Auto-Restoration, SPD Boost, Blademaster, Find Weakness (Attack Boost before then), Defense Boost

Van Helsing: Her sword and something disposable, similar to Jack. With Blademaster she seems to be able to kill almost all the non-boss/non-tank enemy with a normal attack. She doesn't get much MS, so // SKILLS: Auto-Restoration, SPD Boost, MS Boost, Find Weakness (Attack Boost before then), Defense Boost

As for the Grunts - Load out depends on the mission/AR - sometimes grenades are enough, sometimes bazookas make sense, alot of times anti-tank and landmines make alot of sense, alotof times nothing makes sense... you can move them up front quickly, let them pillage for some weapons, I do that often - don't get your hopes up for turning these guys into killing machines. occassionally, when I set the mines correctly - they have taken down bosses, but it was more something I was fiddling with than some type of grand strategy

So like was stated, it'll depend on your play style - some characters play the same for most, others you can ding dong around with
---
#9FallenBluePosted 7/15/2009 9:41:48 AM
Thank you for the feedback, it's very helpful. Something I was wondering about was it the defense stat also helps defend against magic attacks, and the attack stat also helps boost magic attacks.

One point of correction, Aegis defends against magic attacks as well.
#10RaphmattPosted 7/15/2009 11:39:22 AM
Thanks FallenBlue for the correction on Aegis. Unless someone has a percentage on how often it kicks in, though, I'd rather stick with skills that are always in effect.

Nadyanova has an excellent setup for a magic-heavy strategy. Like we've both said, it depends upon how you play the game. For reference, my strategy is more reliant on rushing quickly and relying heavily on bazookas early (the first half of the game saw my Keith, Gallant, Frank, Jack, Van Helsing, and Herbert(!) sporting bazookas). I was aware of the Werewolf Punch but never tried it out. I didn't know that it was that powerful. I might try that in the future with Keith since every single time I lost a mission in the campaign (about a half dozen times total), it involved Gallant being run over by a tank.

The reason I stick at least a melee weapon on everybody is that I have been caught unawares before on longer missions with Cordelia or Frank (especially Frank) out in the open, out of MS, and getting the crap beaten out of them by skeletons. IMO, the speed impact of the bayonet at 1 weight is pretty much negligible even at endgame. Your call.

Nadyanova has a point with Edward and Herbert not really needing the guns. Although Ed is much slower carrying the sten, I appreciated the incredible range of the Sten MS skill and the damage it did. Herbert's PPSh1941 was more for fun. Something about that nerdy doctor running around mowing Nazis down with a custom SMG gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Still, it's a hell of a gun if you can get your hands on it.
---
---