Does the gameplay become interesting?

#1KOTRsssPosted 6/16/2011 1:46:20 PM
I just got to St Binah and I dont have high hopes for the story, which is okay, but is the gameplay going to become any more interesting? I have 1 recipe aside from rice balls and I still dont know what to use cooking for. I have done very little fighting, and what I have done up to this point has been extremely simplistic and that doesnt seem to be changing. Trying to figure out if it's worth my time to continue.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#2musketeer361Posted 6/16/2011 2:14:37 PM
The story kinda sucks, but the gameplay will improve once you get more artes/spells.
#3jackstar_rockPosted 6/16/2011 2:30:18 PM(edited)
I think the story is one of the best in video games. Comparable to Planescape: Torment, Final Fantasy Tactics and Bioshock. Abyss has very strong characterization to boot.
#4Negima15Posted 6/16/2011 9:03:47 PM
Generally from what I've seen, people tend to agree that the story picks up in the second portion. If you still don't like it after that point...eh.

As for the gameplay, if it doesn't improve for you after you get more artes (or say acquiring mystic artes and access to some FOFs) then I don't know if much will change your view after that point.
---
Memento mori...
Hopeful Dreamer
#5KOTRsss(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2011 11:15:10 PM
I was starting to lose hope, but it has started to win me over small bits at a time. Currently my favorite moment was entering a battle where the enemy back attacked me and Jade says "haha, this is terrible!"

Somethings I'm wondering:

-How do I learn new artes?

-What was that tutorial about the colored circles on the ground? Some crab enemies have been leaving small ones behind but no matter what I do I cant seem to activate them by standing in them and pressing O.

-What is the point of different kinds of regular attacks? I can understand the point of knocking an enemy into the air, but what about attacking downward? Is it just a way to target enemies that are low to the ground?

-I cant tell why certain artes are useful. I have this havoc blade attack that attacks from above, but as far as I can tell the damage is pitiful, so why would I use it. I just got sonic thrust and once again I cant for the life of me tell why I would use it. That rage blast type attack at least makes sense because it knocks enemies down, but that's about all I can tell.

-What is the purpose of the hit counter? From what I can tell it increases the "bonus" after the battle but I dont even know what that does.

-What the hell is grade?
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#6NecrosexuaIPosted 6/17/2011 12:11:04 AM
level up, yo.

-What was that tutorial about the colored circles on the ground? Some crab enemies have been leaving small ones behind but no matter what I do I cant seem to activate them by standing in them and pressing O.
you gotta have an arte that has an fof change that corresponds to the fonon.

-What is the point of different kinds of regular attacks? I can understand the point of knocking an enemy into the air, but what about attacking downward? Is it just a way to target enemies that are low to the ground?
eh, it's just combos. find one that works for you.

-I cant tell why certain artes are useful. I have this havoc blade attack that attacks from above, but as far as I can tell the damage is pitiful, so why would I use it. I just got sonic thrust and once again I cant for the life of me tell why I would use it. That rage blast type attack at least makes sense because it knocks enemies down, but that's about all I can tell.
some of them are less useful than others. i think, iirc, havoc blade was good on flyers to knock em down. but don't quote me on that. they obviously get better as the game advances.

-What the hell is grade?
for new game +, basically. you get it throughout the game, and it totals up, and you can spend it on the end game for different things if you play it over again.
---
ONE PART THE FUHRER
ONE PART THE POPE
#7_MechaGrievous_Posted 6/17/2011 7:48:33 AM
Comparing the story to Planescape might be a little much. It's good, but nothing is that good.
---
Official Dark Lord of PotD
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Lordgrievous/t5q1dd.png
#8PalpablePosted 6/17/2011 12:54:43 PM
Abyss' story isn't good at all. Nor is its characterization even remotely good either.
---
"I never did very well in math - I could never seem to persuade the teacher that I hadn't meant my answers literally." - Calvin Trillin
#9ArcadewPosted 6/17/2011 1:30:57 PM
KOTRsss posted...

Level up or do sidequests. You probably will need a guide for the latter as the sidequests in this game are hard to find on your own.

I just made a guide about this yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJq2QeVRkiU

Part of it is just making the normal attack not so boring since you use it throughout the game. That way your normal attacks don't have to look the exact same; you can vary it. The other part is down attacks hit a wide area while neutral and forward attacks hit flying enemies.

Havoc Strike is extremely fast, which is nice when you're under pressure. It also chains perhaps the best of all of his base artes.

-What is the purpose of the hit counter? From what I can tell it increases the "bonus" after the battle but I dont even know what that does.

Bonus just means Bonus Experience. The higher hit count your longest combo was, the more Bonus Experience you get. It's a percentage of the regular experience you get from that battle. 50 hit best combo = Bonus Experience is 50% of regular experience. So it's in your best interest to get a good combo in boss fights in particular.
#10Yuber8900Posted 6/17/2011 1:45:03 PM
jackstar_rock posted...
. Comparable to Planescape: Torment,

How do you live with yourself?
---
"All hail the almighty Yuber, God of the Underworld!" - AmandaKimmel
NaNo Hero.