The promise at the end is *SPOILERS*

#1OrangeCrush980Posted 8/4/2012 11:06:47 AM
Asch's promise that he wouldn't die in Eldrant. So Mr. Ending is actually Asch.
---
We can definitely do this!
#2gitales13Posted 8/4/2012 11:12:41 AM
Oh its just like FFX's last scene where Tidus seeing swimming and ~The End~. I really hate such kind of scene added in the ending. Actually, for a part 2/season 2 just bad luck if the game doesn't get much rating for them to work for a sequel.
#3fateoffatePosted 8/5/2012 8:03:11 AM(edited)
Pretty sure they let you decide he's whoever you want.
From all the sign like Tataroo Valley, sword in the back, and where the sword hilt facing points to Luke, though.
He promises to come back, too.
#4CatMutoPosted 8/6/2012 3:06:18 AM
fateoffate posted...
From all the sign like Tataroo Valley, [..]

Please don't take that as a sign for anything. Regarding that essay I read about all the symbolism with Luke and Tear introducing themselves in the Tataroo Valley, his change with the flowers and all.... it's a nice essay to read, but it really just proves that somebody read way too much into this game.
They chose the Tataroo Valley because a) Eldrant landed close to it and b) it makes a nice picturesque place to have it take place. After all, how nice would it look if it were.... in Engeve? Chessedonia, Kethelbrook and Grand Chokumah - those are also places that have a certain atmosphere that would fit such an important scene.

Luke and Asch both made promises - Luke one towards Tear, Asch one towards Natalia and sort of towards Luke as well. But the ending is there to have every player decide for themselves who Mr Ending is.
I like to think it's both fused together - wether they have split personality or are really just one person, that depends on mood and humor.

C-A
---
A woman always has the last word in an argument. Say something against it, you just started a new argument.
#5fateoffatePosted 8/6/2012 9:17:57 AM
I only use 3 points why it's Luke, doesn't count as reading too much and I never read any essay stuffs.
To be honest the sword hilt and it's placing is the one that convinced me. As absurd as it is.

If you want to think it's Asch, feel free to do so. I only telling you from my view.
#6BmttbrandonPosted 8/6/2012 1:32:37 PM
Wrong. The direct translation from the Japanese version says,
"I promised you, didn't I?"
So no matter what, Luke is there.
---
(╯□)╯
"Don't Think, Feel!" -Chie Satonaka
#7CatMutoPosted 8/7/2012 5:50:18 AM
Bmttbrandon posted...
Wrong. The direct translation from the Japanese version says,
"I promised you, didn't I?"
So no matter what, Luke is there.

Bullspit, if you were to absolutely, 100% directly translated, it would say "I promised IT." Although it would be better to not start a translation flame war...

Anyway, as said, the point of the ending is to make up your own mind. And I really wish people would STOP creating topics about this thing. Namco left it open on purpose, they probably don't even know themselves who Mr Ending is, so if there are players who have to continuously make topics about who that guy is, it just shows that they are idiots who don't want to have to think or, god forbid, have their own opinion.
(And this in terms of general, not directly at this TC)

C-A
---
A woman always has the last word in an argument. Say something against it, you just started a new argument.
#8fateoffatePosted 8/7/2012 7:21:11 AM
the ending is to make up your own mind.
I already make up my mind, though. Besides, the ending is left ambiguous(it doesn't to me but I'll play along with Tales Studio's word of god) so it's inevitable that people would come and ask.
#9CatMutoPosted 8/8/2012 1:46:40 AM
The problem is that at least one a month, somebody opens up a topic about "the ending", "that guy in the ending", "Mr Ending", "Who is it?", etc. You can't blame me for getting tired of seeing the same topic discussed over and over again.
I summed the ending and the resulting discussions up in this comicstrip some time ago: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/322/2/9/the_eternal_debate_by_cat_alin-d4gfww9.jpg

C-A
---
#10fateoffatePosted 8/8/2012 4:43:24 AM
You can't blame me for getting tired of seeing the same topic discussed over and over again.

Well, I'm getting tired too but it's not their fault for wanting to ask in the first place.
The game's ending is the one at fault.