The promise at the end is *SPOILERS*

#101Regurk_AbasPosted 11/5/2012 9:16:53 AM
Yes, they fused, that much is obvious, but them fusing minds is what I have a problem with. The lyrics could simply imply that Luke's mind fused with Asch's body. Just because they mirror each other it doesn't mean that they're part of one same being, in fact, that is exactly what Luke's journey proved. "Whether you accept me or not doesn't matter, I'm not a part of you, or your substitute". Luke had to find who he really was, and he did. Making the ending "lol ok but you're gonna fuse minds with him anyway" seems really contradictory to me.
#102EmbraceChaosPosted 11/5/2012 9:33:20 AM
But Luke's mind is dominant anyway.
---
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road - neither human, nor devil... All bends to my will."
#103CatMutoPosted 11/7/2012 3:09:27 PM
Yes, they fused, that much is obvious, but them fusing minds is what I have a problem with.

Well now, fusing minds is impossible.
I count myself to the camp that says Mr Ending is a fused Asch and Luke, but for hilarity purposes, I say that Mr Ending has a split personality - constantly switching between Luke and Luke. You know, the one that is a replica? Yeah, not that one.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#104hhafizPosted 11/9/2012 3:14:15 PM
CatMuto posted...
I find the song to be a giant foreshadowing of the game's happening.
So, the last line is a pretty understandable idea where the concept "Luke and Asch fused into one" can come from.

Yes, it says "we become one," but the fact remains that the story saw them as two different people with two different identities. And throughout the game it also pounded on to the player that they were each their own separate person. So I wouldn't take that line to mean anything beyond a strictly physical fusion. Otherwise it'd be contradicting its own dang message from the game which I doubt was the developer's intention.
---
Thank you Namco for saving the puppies.
#105CatMutoPosted 11/10/2012 6:11:45 AM
hhafiz posted...
CatMuto posted...
So, the last line is a pretty understandable idea where the concept "Luke and Asch fused into one" can come from.

Yes, it says "we become one," but the fact remains that the story saw them as two different people with two different identities. And throughout the game it also pounded on to the player that they were each their own separate person. So I wouldn't take that line to mean anything beyond a strictly physical fusion. Otherwise it'd be contradicting its own dang message from the game which I doubt was the developer's intention.

Of course they mean physical. As my previous post stats, it's impossible to fuse minds - I merely meant with the song lyrics that the becoming one does mean (at least to me) that Luke and Asch fuse into one (physical) person. I never said anything about having one mind.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#106lightdragoon88Posted 11/11/2012 9:08:46 AM
hhafiz posted...
CatMuto posted...

They were each their own person and they become a brand new person.
---
LIFE IS A BEAUTY HOWL!
#107gamemaster712Posted 11/13/2012 7:53:16 AM
Fu.....shion....HA!!!! although it feels more like a Piccolo + Kami kind of fusion...
---
Lord of gaming!!! (probably)
#108hhafizPosted 11/13/2012 8:53:27 PM(edited)
CatMuto posted...
Of course they mean physical. As my previous post stats, it's impossible to fuse minds - I merely meant with the song lyrics that the becoming one does mean (at least to me) that Luke and Asch fuse into one (physical) person. I never said anything about having one mind.

That's fine, I just kinda wanted to give my own take on it.

lightdragoon88 posted...
They were each their own person and they become a brand new person.

That's lovely, dude. I'd rather believe that the developers had the brain cells to not send the whole goddamn story down the crapper, thanks.
---
#109Bronze_StuffPosted 11/19/2012 7:02:03 PM
Devs have pretty much announced that it's whoever you want it to be, so there's no real point to arguing over who the person is in reality.

Either way, the contamination lends credits to Luke and Asch. Asch being the original, and Luke being the replica, but the circumstances surrounding the two Lukes are not the same. And the fact that the ending dude inherits both memories lends credence to the fact that it doesn't really matter which was which. Luke may have been alive for 7 years, but Asch has been alive for 17. He cares for Natalia deeply. Luke cares for Natalia as well, and both Luke and Asch practically have the same personality. So in the end, it doesn't really matter. Someone is getting screwed over. Dominance doesn't even begin to matter in this case, because even if Luke were the dominant mind, he just obtained a bunch of memories and emotions to go along with that.

That said, I like to just say it's Lorelei and call it a day. I mean, Lorelei DID have the same structure that they did, and they only merged after the whole Lorelei incident. >_>
---
Jimbo.
#110hhafizPosted 11/30/2012 5:59:36 PM
I have to disagree. It's still one or the other's consciousness and soul. The point is who really gets to live the life he wants.

Also, we really don't know how "getting someone's memories" would really affect them. Would they be placed on top of their already acquired personality/memories? Or are they simply "blended in" with their earlier memories?

Besides, Luke may care for Natalia, but he's nowhere near attracted to her as he is with Tear. The game makes this pretty obvious on more than one occasion.
---