Lowering Safely (spoilers)

#1Rennik RepotsirPosted 10/17/2012 6:23:57 AM
How is this possible? If you’re reducing the circumference of the outer lands; it would be disastrous due to the reducing surface area. The hole(s) left from the sections that already dropped would shrink and the rest of the outer lands would crush the coast of the area around Chesedonia. Also, the shrinking surface of the foundations holding any structures would not be good either.

I just finished the world’s leaders meeting in Yulia City, so I’m not sure if this is even addressed in the story. But it seems like the Miasma should be the least of their worries.

I'm just applying logic into a fantasy world…
---
FREE BUMP!!!
I bored; eat it...</post>
#2demonguardianPosted 10/17/2012 12:06:37 PM(edited)
I also questioned about that myself...
at my first playthrough, I actually hadn't noticed that, only in the 2nd forwards. I lol'ed in the anime where they actually showed a diagram of some sort when Jade was explaining what would happen... for a moment I thought that they would've realised/explain the consequences. But, of course, they didn't.

I guess it's one of those things to ignore/laugh at and move on. One could argue that some parts of the land were already missing, both because of the lower/outer lands separation and that part of it was used to reconstruct Hod, or that the reduction in the circunference of the planet wasn't that big, or anything like that. I still wouldn't buy it...

EDIT: sorry about the spoilers... must've been drunk and didn't see that you haven't finished the game yet. And no, it's never explained.
#3Rennik Repotsir(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2012 6:13:03 AM
Haha... no worries...

I'm about to enter the Meggiora Highlands in hopes this will give me a little more dungeon crawling, and a little less travel back here for story. I'm also not too worried about the plot so spoil away if it’s necessary... ;)

TO: I guess I am applying logic into a fantasy world… Maybe we can pass it as the oceans bending/folding to compensate for the reduction of the surface area. Basing this off the ocean floor usually being the thinner parts of Earth's crust, they would be the first to warp under compressive stress. With air filled space separating the outer land from the Qliphoth, it may be probable...
---
FREE BUMP!!!
#4CyllyaPosted 10/21/2012 4:36:50 PM
I always figured part of one of the oceans got smaller (probably the part that's split in half by the layout of the map) and everything else stayed the same size. I keep meaning to check it in game to see if there's any difference in that ocean at difference parts of the story, but I've never gotten around to it.

Though, even if that were the explanation, I doubt the map graphic designers would do anything to reflect it, considering they put the Absorbtion Gate and Radiation Gate right next to each other... *facepalm*

The plot does not address a change in surface area... or air pressure.
---
Tales Website [http://talesof.cyllya.com]
Warhammer 40k Book Reviews [http://www.choppyreviews.com]
#5demonguardianPosted 10/21/2012 5:31:44 PM
Well, at the very least, there's that guy in Sheridan that had troubles in his job due to a difference in the height in the atmosphere... nothing that big. Just to say that Namco didn't forgot about things like these/didn't let any plot holes (still, there are probably a couple of them, though).
#6Rennik Repotsir(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2012 6:21:06 AM
Cyllya posted...
I always figured part of one of the oceans got smaller (probably the part that's split in half by the layout of the map) and everything else stayed the same size. I keep meaning to check it in game to see if there's any difference in that ocean at difference parts of the story, but I've never gotten around to it.

Though, even if that were the explanation, I doubt the map graphic designers would do anything to reflect it, considering they put the Absorbtion Gate and Radiation Gate right next to each other... *facepalm*

The plot does not address a change in surface area... or air pressure.

I didn't even think of air pressure... As there would be more of the surface air weighing down per in^2 plus the air from the Qliphoth. But then again, the air density would probably lower from the extra space from the outer lands as they fell and the space from the contained (and compressed?) miasma.

There's also Yulia City being above sea-level...

demonguardian posted...
Well, at the very least, there's that guy in Sheridan that had troubles in his job due to a difference in the height in the atmosphere... nothing that big. Just to say that Namco didn't forgot about things like these/didn't let any plot holes (still, there are probably a couple of them, though).

Yeah... I'm about to enter New Hod and so far it's only treated as an event in time. I don't remember speaking with the "guy in Sheridan"; I guess the constant revisits caused me to bypass most of the NPC interaction.
---
FREE BUMP!!!
#7Kajitani EizanPosted 10/30/2012 12:20:55 AM
it's possible that the distance lowered is very slight compared to the radius of the planet, so the effects can be handwaved away by saying the oceans shrunk slightly. but then again, a man-traversible structure leads deep enough to lead to the planet core, so...
---
Tales. Get Some.
blade2187.com
#8lightdragoon88Posted 10/30/2012 3:35:46 AM
It just a game. It only a game.
---
LIFE IS A BEAUTY HOWL!
#9Rennik Repotsir(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2012 6:47:05 AM
Kajitani Eizan posted...
it's possible that the distance lowered is very slight compared to the radius of the planet, so the effects can be handwaved away by saying the oceans shrunk slightly. but then again, a man-traversible structure leads deep enough to lead to the planet core, so...

That can be true; but there's what; a slightly over a 3 unit (circumference) difference per diameter unit? Might not be that noticeable in math as it can be just a fraction of change per area. But the quakes triggered from the sudden loss (or folding) of the area should have been devastating.

lightdragoon88 posted...
It just a game. It only a game.

This is just a discussion. This is only a discussion.
---
FREE BUMP!!!
#10EmbraceChaosPosted 11/1/2012 7:26:06 PM
Well...

The entire planet runs on fonons, not atoms.

The calender is a lot different than ours - Luke being 7 years of age translates to around 30 years from our time to Auldrant's time from what I've heard of it's calender...

God is an entity created from mass production of the other six fonons to create a seventh one

Luke and Asch have enough power to cause an atomic bomb explosion.

Aaaand, people can be mass produced and resurrected through fonons.

As such, the "it's a game" message is accurate.

To be more precise: "It's a fictional game in a fictional setting with it's own rules and not ours".

Let us not become Final Fantasy fans, brethren and sisters. Let us just enjoy the fantasy for what it is.
---
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road - neither human, nor devil... All bends to my will."