Lowering Safely (spoilers)

#21Kajitani EizanPosted 11/12/2012 11:54:40 AM
So this would put Luke closer to 14-15, Tear(17 IIRC?) would be closer to 34. Jade, who I believe is said to be in his forties, would thus be in his eighties!

i think when they give us ages, the ages are meant to have been "translated" into our conception of age. so tear being 16 means she's 16 according to our perception of age, whereas according to their calendar she's like 7 and three quarters.
---
Tales. Get Some.
blade2187.com
#22Bronze_StuffPosted 11/12/2012 10:19:14 PM
It being a video game is what should be a dead giveaway... I know I am applying real world physics/logic to a fantasy realm. I stated it in the OT

I know that. That's all I'm saying. I never even really considered that, because of the way the game hammers it into the equation. Normally I would unless stated otherwise, but this game just seems to do so. I wasn't just saying "it's a video game." There's nothing wrong with theory crafting.
---
Jimbo.
#23lightdragoon88Posted 11/13/2012 9:44:01 AM
MystearicaGrant posted...
EmbraceChaos posted...
Well...

The calender is a lot different than ours - Luke being 7 years of age translates to around 30 years from our time to Auldrant's time from what I've heard of it's calender...

Just to give my 2 cents on this. IIRC, in Daath, a book mentioning the calender says each year is about 760 days, so unless each day is roughly 48 hours, all ages would translate to about double by our system.

So this would put Luke closer to 14-15, Tear(17 IIRC?) would be closer to 34. Jade, who I believe is said to be in his forties, would thus be in his eighties!

Unless they aged half as much as we do, this makes no sense.
---
LIFE IS A BEAUTY HOWL!
#24Rennik Repotsir(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 6:14:29 AM
Bronze_Stuff posted...
I know that. That's all I'm saying. I never even really considered that, because of the way the game hammers it into the equation. Normally I would unless stated otherwise, but this game just seems to do so. I wasn't just saying "it's a video game." There's nothing wrong with theory crafting.

Sorry; let me revise my response:

I would imagine basic physics would apply to all bodies in space. Matter would deform in a way to compensate for the change of area. How it deforms is dependent on what the material consists of and how fast it changes.

The outer lands could be a material that is malleable or brittle. Leaning towards the brittle theory, the Outer Lands were raised and the weak areas broke apart. Since there is no "mag-ma" to fill in the gaps; the pieces came together like a puzzle when the Outer Lands fell.
---
FREE BUMP!!!
The person above suffers from IAD.</post>
#25Rennik Repotsir(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 6:31:12 AM
In response to the age topic:

In the perception of man; a year is the complete revolution of the planet's orbital path (originally developed based on the seasons). Days are based on the cycle of the planet's rotation (originally night and day). For all we know (along with the lack of accurately translating the days); a year could be the same length as Earth's with the days being shorter as the planet rotates faster giving them less than 12 hours per day.
---
FREE BUMP!!!
#26lightdragoon88Posted 11/15/2012 3:26:20 AM
Rennik Repotsir posted...
In response to the age topic:

In the perception of man; a year is the complete revolution of the planet's orbital path (originally developed based on the seasons). Days are based on the cycle of the planet's rotation (originally night and day). For all we know (along with the lack of accurately translating the days); a year could be the same length as Earth's with the days being shorter as the planet rotates faster giving them less than 12 hours per day.

Nope, this is explain in detail.

Auldrant is the only world in the Tales series with a calendar that is explained in detail. One day on Auldrant lasts 24 hours. One week on Auldrant lasts seven days. Their names, in order, are as follows:

Remday
Lunaday
Ifritday
Undineday
Sylphday
Loreleiday
Gnomeday

After Gnomeday, a new week begins with Remday again. Each month has 58 days except for the month of Lorelei Redecan, which has 60 days. The yearly calendar consists of thirteen months. Their names, in order, are as follows:

Rem Decan
Sylph Decan
Undine Decan
Gnome Decan
Ifrit Decan
Shadow Decan
Shadow Redecan
Ifrit Redecan
Gnome Redecan
Undine Redecan
Sylph Redecan
Luna Redecan
Lorelei Redecan

After a full cycle of thirteen months, one Auldrant year ends and another begins. The total amount of days in a year on Auldrant is 765.

---
LIFE IS A BEAUTY HOWL!
#27Rennik Repotsir(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 6:12:28 AM(edited)
Assuming that their hours move at the same rate as ours; I stand corrected...
---
FREE BUMP!!!
#28lightdragoon88Posted 11/15/2012 8:51:50 AM
Rennik Repotsir posted...
Assuming that their hours move at the same rate as ours; I stand corrected...

It is never stated and that the only argument against that.

I have two theory

1) They aren't human, therefore they age differently from us.

2) Fonon that go through their bodies slow the aging.

Since Fonon is the Deus Ex that everything in the game revolves around, I usually go with number 2.
---
LIFE IS A BEAUTY HOWL!