What version should I get? the Undub or the ENG Dub

#1WakaLakaBakaPosted 12/6/2012 8:04:35 AM
I've played most of the JPN and ENG Tales but not Abyss....so i'm wondering if gettting the dub would be great for me...but I've also heard the JPN voices....it's just too hard to choose
#2demonguardianPosted 12/6/2012 9:47:21 AM
While I'm quite fond of the voice in the dub version, I still prefer the Japanese VA.

Also, in the dub version, there are 2 minor things that I dislike, both at the very end of the game, though it's more of a personal thing...
The first is the synchronization of the voice and the mouth of the main char in one specific cutscene, where it's pretty off. You may think that's somewhat expected in a dubbed version, but in this particular case, it wasn't. The camera zooming in his face in that particular scene didn't help...
The second is much more subtle: at the end of the game, someone whisper something to you. In the dub version, the voice is in a regular tone (or almost), but in the Jap. version, it really sounds like that someone is whispering. Not to mention that, in the former, they actually make the phrase explicit by putting it in those speech bubbles, which isn't in the undub (I think. Maybe I'm thinking on the original...)

But, really, it's mostly a matter of opinion, so choose based on your own preferences.
#3Regurk_AbasPosted 12/6/2012 2:18:37 PM
demonguardian posted...
The first is the synchronization of the voice and the mouth of the main char in one specific cutscene, where it's pretty off. You may think that's somewhat expected in a dubbed version, but in this particular case, it wasn't. The camera zooming in his face in that particular scene didn't help...

They probably made that mistake because you can't see his mouth moving in his default outfit from that angle, so they most likely didn't notice. But yeah, it kinda kills the mood...
#4demonguardianPosted 12/6/2012 3:28:57 PM
^Yup. That's the more likely reason.

Also, allow me to correct myself...
Not to mention that, in the former, they actually make the phrase explicit by putting it in those speech bubbles (...)
Just re-watched the endings, both the Japanese and English versions. Neither had the explicit text. Not really sure how I came up with that...
#5Judqement8Posted 12/7/2012 3:52:53 AM
Undub version all the way. English voice acting sounds ridiculous to be honest.
#6DragoonGriffithPosted 12/7/2012 4:10:47 AM
If you have the option to choose between the two, I also highly recommend the Undub.

It honestly made me appreciate the game more.
---
Curently playing: TotA, WA3, Terranigma
#7CatMutoPosted 12/7/2012 4:14:12 AM
I say Undub, too.
I for one did not like it that Yuri Lowenthal did not make much change in his voice when he has to voice two characters. And in the Japanese version, Anise really sounds downright rot-your-teeth cute, especially when she does her adorable Hmyu~ sound.
PLUS, the Undub has the Skits voiced, which makes them all the more fun to watch!

Not even in the ending does Lowenthal change anything. Chihiro Suzuki does a perfect mix between the two voices, which makes the ending so much more open.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#8lightdragoon88Posted 12/7/2012 7:46:08 AM
As long as you can read and understand what going on, it doesn't matter.
---
LIFE IS A BEAUTY HOWL!
#9WakaLakaBaka(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 9:58:33 AM
CatMuto posted...
I say Undub, too.
I for one did not like it that Yuri Lowenthal did not make much change in his voice when he has to voice two characters. And in the Japanese version, Anise really sounds downright rot-your-teeth cute, especially when she does her adorable Hmyu~ sound.
PLUS, the Undub has the Skits voiced, which makes them all the more fun to watch!

Not even in the ending does Lowenthal change anything. Chihiro Suzuki does a perfect mix between the two voices, which makes the ending so much more open.

C-A

Yeah......Asch's voice was just more forceful and angry.......not much change and lol I'm not really a fan of Anise but Mieu......in the JPN Version..he just makes you go all KAWAII DESU OMG I LOVE HIM HE SO CUTE~!..and in the ENG Version he's all freaking annoying >_> and thanks everyone for your opinions so I guess Undub it is then lol
#10darkzero16Posted 12/8/2012 5:42:07 PM
As long as you can read and understand what going on, it doesn't matter.

This but I assume undub has voiced skits so that sounds like a better deal in itself. I've heard all their voices in the RM games not sure if you will enjoy Anise. (I do)

Personally love the dub. Its one of those that are so different from the original but still somehow fits like Kenshin, DBZ ect.
---
"Imagine how much the Dark Tournament from YYH would suck if Team Toguro got owned single handedly by Yusuke midway during the tournament."