Review of story mode

#1Swarm2004Posted 7/18/2010 11:55:08 PM
Getting Started:

The first thing you see when you start the game is a slowly loading menu screen with options that are called things like "slug it out", "start a label" and stuff like that, so if ur new to the series and dont read the instructions you guess your way to the mode you want. Not to worry though because you never have to guess later on in the game because you have absolutely 0 (read: zero) decision making in the rest of the game.

The character creation is actually pretty decent, I made a guy that looks kinda like a conehead from SNL. definitely got me through the first hour and a half.

The story begins with you at a club, where a man remands his girlfriend for talking to another man. As he pulls her away he goes off balance or something and bumps you and somehow a drink is spilled on your "new shirt (man)". A fight ensues. After the fight which, as I will discuss later, you have won. You meet with a man afterwards who is impressed with your skill, or general hatred of dirty shirts, and he lets you join his group.

The meat of the game:

After joining this group at the club the game consists of a repeating cycle of activities, over which you have no control. It goes a little something like this:

1) you can read your email wherein famous rappers, and game characters either tell you about a problem they need help with(someone to fight), or how they are grateful about your past assistance and that you should 'holler back' (the email system goes one way(in), you cannot holler back, which is very discouraging). Occasionally, someone will ask you for money, you can say yes or no, The amount is petty and the consequences are none.

2) You can walk around your apartment, which for the first 3 hours of the game, is a complete mess which is baffling as this guy gets in a fight a day and should have time to clean, and later on you acquire a million dollars easy, and you come back to this disgusting ***********.

3) you CAN change clothes, buy clothes(read 'clothes' as sneakers, jewelry, shoes, grills(teeth), you name it) they range from 9 dollar tank tops to quarter of a million dollar diamond grills. Unless you want to dress differently for every fight you wont be doing this often.

4a)you can(must to progress the 'story' / gamestate) Travel to different locations to try to sign people to this label, and in a paragraph describing the location before you select it they tell you that they hope a fight doesnt break out.
****Spolier Alert****A fight will definitely break out****Spolier Alert****

4b) 95% of locations load one of the fight maps and a fight starts instantly( you have about 3 seconds before they punch you). Fighting described below. If you win, there a new locations to goto, new emails, and developments of other kinds. If you lose you can rematch or go home where the game state is the same as it was before the fight, so in order to progress you must rematch or you will be stuck in that state where there is nothing to do but pace you lame apartment.

Fighting!: Fighting is bad. It is 3rd person 3d from a side angle which is more or less fixed. This camera choice makes is hard to perceive the distance between you and the opponent from certain angles so its hassle#1. the levels have hazards, 1 of which per level can be player activated for massive damage. I think its massive damage anyways, but its only a guess because there is no health bars. You have a strong move that can knock them down and possibly do alot of damage, but first you have to hit them with a punch or kick, which is either high or low. if the cpu blocks correctly (50/50 shot) he hits you, other wise you do your strong move. rinse repeat. Good Luck!!! its not that hard, i retried about 5 matches, one of which i retried twice.

After a while and about 25 fights i got into a new apartment that is pretty nice, piano and everything.
The options of what you can do remain the same. see above. gg DJI
#2BOJOXZ_Posted 7/26/2010 1:55:27 AM
this game sucks
#3Spyker_UncoolPosted 7/28/2010 12:59:23 PM

Fighting!: Fighting is bad. It is 3rd person 3d from a side angle which is more or less fixed. This camera choice makes is hard to perceive the distance between you and the opponent from certain angles so its hassle#1. the levels have hazards, 1 of which per level can be player activated for massive damage. I think its massive damage anyways, but its only a guess because there is no health bars. You have a strong move that can knock them down and possibly do alot of damage, but first you have to hit them with a punch or kick, which is either high or low. if the cpu blocks correctly (50/50 shot) he hits you, other wise you do your strong move. rinse repeat. Good Luck!!! its not that hard, i retried about 5 matches, one of which i retried twice.

LOOOOL NO the fighting and character customization save the game, you can turn on HUD at options, and fighting is veeeeerryy fun... the music Get Back is awesome too and I created Arnold Schwarzenegger for this game... I love the game but online is dead and there are no cutscenes before fights explaining how they started fighting <.< which sucks... it was a digression from FFNY but its still a very fun to play game, just wish it had some trophies -.-

---
Winning an argument over the internet is like winning the special peoples olympic games --- you might win, but youre still ********