Who here plays this game with little to no knowledge in Japanese?

#1MagnaValkyrionPosted 2/5/2013 12:45:35 PM
I'm really curious to know, since there are so many story specific topics here, and I plan to play this game without the slightest knowledge of Japanese. And I never played OG2 either, so I'll be like "this is soooo cool but I have no idea what's going on", except maybe I'll watch the Inspectors anime.
#2HaLLuZiNaTiOnZsPosted 2/5/2013 1:01:14 PM
Theres a user here AkariZero who's translated the stages up to Stage 6(Masaki Route). Full translation too.

http://youtu.be/FlpNHfDP-kg

I'd personally donate some money to him if he got them out faster. >_>

I'd wager it'll take a few months to do the whole thing, since he's doing it solo, which is fine if you have a backlog(like me).
---
I'm sleepy.
#3Azure_lKitePosted 2/5/2013 1:35:07 PM(edited)
*raises hand*

From a gameplay standpoint:
Have you played a SRT before? If yes, you'll be right at home.
If not... It'll take a while getting used to what is what, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. Plus, there's always the help topic and Akurasu Wiki for pretty much every translation you'll need.

From a story standpoint:
Well... You're out of luck. The Inspector Anime does happen before this, but it won't really help that much.

I recommend either reading KaneBlueRiver's topic here, or this: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,13965.90.html?PHPSESSID=ludr9jq3etjea7q3c5v2mn9ei2

For a story summary.

And yes, you will be like "omg this is soo cool". I almost ran out of pants playing this game, specially on the last few stages.
---
"It's a tradition unique to JRPG fanbases to discuss the virginity of characters." - SetsunaFSeiiei
BBCP HYYYYYPE
#4KOFXIIIPosted 2/5/2013 1:22:33 PM
Most people here do, I assume.

It won't stop us from enjoying the game.
#5MagnaValkyrion(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:33:21 PM
Thanks, guys!

I played OG1 (until my favorite character turned sides lol), OG Saga (which doesn't really count, from a gameplay standpoint) and SRWW (which is the only SRW I ever finished), and I'm also used to playing games in japanese, but when I checked here and didn't find any FAQ, I got worried. Can't really play this game without at least knowing the pilot skills, since they're absolutely useful.

And yes, this game looks so freaking awesome! I just NEED to play this!
#6KaneBlueriverPosted 2/5/2013 1:55:49 PM
MagnaValkyrion posted...
Thanks, guys!

I played OG1 (until my favorite character turned sides lol), OG Saga (which doesn't really count, from a gameplay standpoint) and SRWW (which is the only SRW I ever finished), and I'm also used to playing games in japanese, but when I checked here and didn't find any FAQ, I got worried. Can't really play this game without at least knowing the pilot skills, since they're absolutely useful.

And yes, this game looks so freaking awesome! I just NEED to play this!

General Game Guide:
http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/OG2nd

My story explanation topic: (Beginning portion is a bit choppy but decided to add a bit more detail later on chapters.)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/929920-dai-2-ji-super-robot-taisen-og/64829414

Lune Route:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/929920-dai-2-ji-super-robot-taisen-og/65005534
---
Behold! Happy Robo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8p_eMBW2es
#7RyaldecoPosted 2/6/2013 12:05:58 PM
*raises hand*
No Japanese here!

If Atlus never localized OG1 and 2 on GBA, I might still not know of the series' existence today. When those came out here, I immediately fell in love with them. Then I was sad that OGs wasn't going to be localized here for PS2, and had to import it. Since I had played the hell out of the GBA games, I pretty much knew what was going on, and was familiar with the menu system. I looked up some guides that translated story synopsis and such for the extra bits they added to OGs.

Then OGG came out, and I had to get that. Since the story was completely new, I had to spend a little more time learning the names of the new characters and mechs. Had no clue what the heck was going on story wise. I actually still need to go back and see if I can find some translated story synopsis for OGG, as there wasn't really anything I noticed out at the time I was playing it. And now it's the same for this game. New mechs and pilots, new plot that I'm completely oblivious to. At least there's an awesome thread here by KaneBlueriver, I think, that is giving a translated summary of what's going on before and during each mission (THANK YOU sir!!!)

I don't know a lick of Japanese, and am continuing to play SRW (well, just the OG games so far). While playing the PS2 games, I started using a katakana chart to try and work out character and mech names, weapons, etc. myself before looking it up. As a result, I've actually gotten pretty decent at sounding out words written in katakana without having to look them up. But that has nothing to do with Japanese; I've learned to be able to read the Engrish words, and that's it. For this game, I've barely had to look at my katakana chart to be able to read the new character and mech names. Between the akurasu wiki and some great topics here, not knowing any of the Japanese is a non issue. The game's a ton of fun!
#8RyaldecoPosted 2/6/2013 12:09:24 PM
Ah, I just noticed KaneBlueriver posted here last. And he has the URL's to the translated story summaries I was talking about, no less. He's the man!
#9Sans PantsPosted 2/6/2013 2:26:37 PM
*raises hand* I've been learning bits of Japanese from SRW, other RPGs, and various other *coughs* um..."sources". I took Japanese 1 in high school, never had a chance to take Japanese 2, and none of the colleges I went to offered Japanese. So I'm entirely self-taught from 2000-ish onwards. I don't really believe I'll ever reach any level of literacy. It's easier for me to read/understand languages than it is for me to write or speak them. I stutter to the point where my Latin teacher in 8th grade almost sent me to the principal's office for being so nervous I couldn't answer a question.

Language is my one and only skill, but too bad I'm terrible with people and can't finish a sentence half the time.
#10sneakysnakePosted 2/6/2013 2:32:59 PM
Beated it without knowledge of what's going on. Follow the youtube translations for now
---
PSN: sneakysnake128