Why do some SRW fans consider the OG games 2nd rate or not "true" SRW games?

#1blade_knight_v2Posted 3/3/2013 7:10:43 AM
I've been hearing this from time to time and the general reason I've seen is that either they don't like the OG characters/mechs or only SRW games with licensed mechs are official games.
---
"Oh, come on. The worst that could happen is we all die!" ~Colonel Jade Curtiss, Third Division Malkuth Military (Tales of the Abyss)
#2VermilionXPosted 3/3/2013 7:46:53 AM
I wouldn't say it's 2nd rate.

I consider it a spin off.

The true spirit of srw is seeing the mecha anime you love together in 1 game.

That said, i love both the regular srw and og. I just prefer the regular srw.

Most people that love og more say it has better story. Personally, story is never a priority for me, even in rpgs.
---
PSN ID: vermilionx ....me and my bike! GSX-R750 K6
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/vermilionx750/DSC03916.jpg
#3KOFXIIIPosted 3/3/2013 7:56:43 AM
People will try to find reasons to be elitist with anything.

Like people who paint plastic models being superior to those who don't.

"lol so you like OG? Excuse me while I play a REAL SRW"
#4MarioakPosted 3/3/2013 8:58:27 AM
I actually enjoy OG a little more then the usual SRW...
---
Unlockable Content? You mean DLC right?
Cookie Cookie Cookie start with "C" -Cookie Monster
#5Azure_lKitePosted 3/3/2013 10:53:38 AM
Marioak posted...

This.

The mechs are cooler, I love the characters/music and you're not forced to bench 90% of the female pilots. That said, I also love the main games and the feel you get from controlling Gundams, Mazingers and such.

I think it could be considered a spin-off, but it's SRW just like the mainline games.
---
"It's a tradition unique to JRPG fanbases to discuss the virginity of characters." - SetsunaFSeiiei
BBCP HYYYYYPE
#6BassGSnewtypePosted 3/3/2013 12:02:10 PM
Marioak posted...

Same here, I like OG to see how they flesh out the Originals stories compared to how they were in their debut games.
---
Evil beware, we have waffles.
The Official Granveil pilot of the SRW OG 2nd Board
#7Kraker2kPosted 3/3/2013 5:38:48 PM
No Gundams.
---
UK/PSN: Kraker2k
#8DemiseEndPosted 3/3/2013 5:55:37 PM
Its basically like this

Regular §RW: holy crap! They can do that with the story?
OG: plot twist: the process of making babies need both man and woman

If you know about the plot twist, more power to you
Basically its the same, call it spin off if you want to, but its still SRW to its core.

And without OG we won't see OG2 Koryuoh. That's a massive plus
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#9hawkeyes887Posted 3/3/2013 10:40:46 PM
People that got to know SRW by OG first ( GBA version ) often find OG series more enjoyable than regular SRW ( English translation plays a big part here ), I think. I have a friend that got into SRW by OG2 ( GBA ) first and then OG1 ( GBA ) then Alpha Gaiden, Z, MX,...After 5 years, now he still think OG2 ( GBA ) is the best SRW game he ever played.

He also said that playing regular SRW game require watching a bunch of robot shows ( Some of them are just too old or not his taste ) to know all the story lines. While with OG game, he can actually follow a coherent story line. I guess some people find it hard to get into a game without knowing the story full well.

In my case, I think both the OG games and regular SRW are awesome but I prefer games that give me much more choice in using/customizing characters ( OG games win at this ).
#10superobo4everPosted 3/3/2013 10:42:58 PM
because og games are fan service stuff not true shows.. Main srw is the real thing. :D
---
SRW OG2nd getto!