How would Xenosaga IV Start? SPOILERS*

#1VogynPosted 11/16/2012 8:46:34 PM
In a perfect world where, after seeing the success of Xenoblade Chronicles, Monolith decided to give back to the fans and create the 4th entry in the Xenosaga series for the PS4/Xbox 720/Wii U/PC.

In your opinion, how would the game start? Would it extend the trilogy into a quadrilogy? What would the locations be (does the game immediately start on Lost Jerusalem?) Who will be the main villians? What sort of plot line will the game follow? And what sort of fan fare could they add that can top swimsuit mode??

This is not a speculation thread. I'm asking, what would your dream 4th game be like.
#2Angelalex242Posted 11/17/2012 12:24:24 AM
First, they buy the rights to Xenogears from Square-Enix.

Then, Episode 4 might be a game that spans a century or so. You start with Shion, Jr. and Allen, and Abel joins your party at some point. Unsurprisingly, Abel fights like Fei. Also unsurprisingly, he's got 'Omega Universitas.' He renames it Weltall at some point. It still has Omega ID available. At one point, he says 'throwing the Dammerung on me is cheating. Take it back!"

Essentially, I'd want it to connect established Xenosaga to establish Xenogears. Starting where Ep III left off, and ending with Abel and Elly vs. Emperor Cain (Who is Wilhelm reborn? chaos isn't that much of a jerk...)

Also, chaos and KosMos/Mary somehow found Nisan and its ideology. Hence the two one winged beings in the cathedral.
---
There is a fine line between genius and insanity.
Which side am I on? You decide.
#3VilurumPosted 11/17/2012 10:34:35 AM(edited)
I for one would like to know whether Catwoman's antics in Tim Burton's 1992 "Batman Returns" took place before or after Catwoman's antics in Christopher Nolan's 2012 "The Dark Knight Rises".

I trust my implied point gets across.

On the original topic, I imagine it would be set on Lost Jerusalem (either from the get-go, or after not very much time). The first arc of Xenosaga was supposed to be Shion's arc, and chaos and KOS-MOS were supposed to be the only characters present in all three arcs.

So from this it's not too outrageous an assumption that it would take place after enough time had passed that the rest of the original Xenosaga cast is either dead or irrelevant. You'd also want to give all those souls on Lost Jerusalem time to develop society into something not-completely-primitive.

However, there were supposed to be three arcs, so the second one wouldn't be able to completely resolve all the issues of universal dissipation and rejection of souls and whatnot. (Alternatively, it would, but it would highlight some even bigger underlying problem in the process, just like the first arc resolved the gnosis by highlighting the reason for the gnosis.)

As for exactly how it'd start from a storytelling standpoint? I have no idea. It's popular to start stories in medias res these days, if for no other reason than lack of attention span on the part of the people enjoying them. So either a. something would already be going on or b. things would be peaceful and everyday until something big and unusual happened.

I imagine KOS-MOS arriving at the planet would qualify for the latter.
---
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)
#4TheLastInLine46Posted 11/28/2012 12:06:15 AM
Wow excellent post. I believe it would take place 10,000 years into the future. The remains of kos mos has created civilizations that have been built and crumbled through the eons such as even a zeboim like civilization. One to two continents will be used.for episode iv since it would be a xenoblade style game along with the battle system as well. It was hinted that wilhelm would return to save humanity again. This is his arc. since were dealing w reincarnation as a theme, he would be reborn as a human w no memory of his past. Sound familiar? As for the villains do I dare say? Lets just say you were playing as some of them in the previous titles and its not chaos or the cast left on the dammurung since they dont make it to LJ. Chaos will take on an emporor cain like role.jin and virgils reincarnations will also be major party members. As for mechs they will have been excavated from previous civilizations as in xenogears. As for the rest of the story, god only knows.......
#5MertensCWPosted 11/29/2012 10:02:11 PM
Vilurum posted...
I for one would like to know whether Catwoman's antics in Tim Burton's 1992 "Batman Returns" took place before or after Catwoman's antics in Christopher Nolan's 2012 "The Dark Knight Rises".

I trust my implied point gets across.

I don't get it either. Why some have this need to try and make Xenosaga fit into the Xenogears Universe.
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#6Angelalex242Posted 11/29/2012 10:21:23 PM
The answer to that is quite simple.

"Why not?"

Or more accurately, it's more fun trying to make the stories sync up then to declare the stories different and be done with it.
---
#7TheLastInLine46Posted 11/30/2012 2:24:19 AM
Takahashi specifically stated that xenosaga would not be part of the xenogears universe that it would be a xenoverse 2.0 or a second try of perfect works. it was meant to be xenosaga I and ii -first arc xenosaga iii and iv second arc and xenosaga v and vi 3rd arc. Takahashi also said it would follow the direction and style of xenogears hence similiar story, setting, and plot elements and thats it. now as we see, xenosaga I, ii, iii- first arc xenosaga iv- second arc xenosaga v and vi- third arc.
#8Angelalex242Posted 11/30/2012 2:36:01 AM
Ya know, there's LEGAL reasons why that had to be said. There's enough similarities between Saga and Gears Square Enix probably could've made a plagarism case.

Still, as they did not own the rights, they had no choice but to swear on every bible imaginable that they were seperate, or the lawyers would come for them.

I'm not inclined to take lawyer induced statements by the creators as fact.
---
#9VilurumPosted 11/30/2012 10:23:54 AM
Given the choice between these two sources:

A. Creators, legally influenced or not
B. Non-creators who think they know better

... I'm more inclined to consider group A to be a more "factual" source. I do genuinely think it's less "it's the same story but we're just saying it's not to cover our butts, wink wink nudge nudge" the way you're arguing, and more "well, we knew from the get-go that we wouldn't be able to make it the same story for legal reasons, but we can make something similar, so let's do that".

Besides, the Xenogears backstory for the "episode 1 time frame" (analogous to the time frame of Xenosaga 1-3) kiiiinda sorta doesn't have the same events take place with the same resolution. This is very definite if you include Perfect Works as canon, but even if you don't there are still questions like "welp, I don't recall mention of a Zohar-powered interplanetary terraforming weapon showing up in Xenosaga", which is a fairly major and crucial element to Xenogears' in-game backstory to just omit. The closest you get is KOS-MOS falling towards Lost Jerusalem, and it would be an enormous stretch to pigeonhole her into Deus's role.

So, ya know, in addition to second-guessing the creators despite that they're a more authoritative source than random internet person (that would be you; that would also be me), you're also trying to fit a square peg into a round hole even if you're just working 100% off the canon material.

Which doesn't do you any favors when it comes to convincing me. That's not to say you can't hold or share your own opinion. But I don't think it's terribly reasonable to expect an "if you ignore canon points XYZ and assume the creators are lying for legal reasons, then I'm totally right" argument to change anyone's mind.
---
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)
#10TheLastInLine46Posted 11/30/2012 10:34:44 AM
Angelalex242 posted...
Ya know, there's LEGAL reasons why that had to be said. There's enough similarities between Saga and Gears Square Enix probably could've made a plagarism case.

Still, as they did not own the rights, they had no choice but to swear on every bible imaginable that they were seperate, or the lawyers would come for them.

I'm not inclined to take lawyer induced statements by the creators as fact.