flan princess/pink tail

#1lonerfuhrer88Posted 5/16/2009 4:47:53 PM
i have killed 917 flan princess and gotten 2 pink tails so far. is this unusually lucky, and has anyone ever got a 3rd pink tail? i heard someone speak of getting an adamant armor for each character, i wonder if that would be possible? i am still trying to figure out if the game has a limit on pink tail drops? it is worth it, because adamant armor kills! best place is the flan floor of lunar ruins, they are a rare random encounter and come in packs of 8. no sirens involved. i have come up with a good strategy of killing a pack of flans most efficiently. a regular encounter usually has 1-2 golden flan, 1-2 dust mousse, and 2, 3, or 4 weaker flans of other colors. i use jump on the golden flan for 9999, edge throws fuma shuriken at dust mousse (brown flan) for about 8000, then throws another shuriken (about 4000) at the golden flan to finish it off. while this is happening, the other members kill off the regular weaker flans with normal attacks. if needed, i also shuriken the dust mousse again to finish it off quick. (yang's deadly takes too long to charge, and does not always hit for 9999.) this is the best way i have found to end battles fast when hunting for flan princess.

---
"great armies do not exist for peace. they exist solely for triumphant exertion in war." -AH
#2silktailPosted 5/16/2009 6:12:03 PM
is this unusually lucky, and has anyone ever got a 3rd pink tail?

It is above average so it is lucky, but not unusually so yet.
(The probabilities and the practical results, should only seem to match up over a really large number of test cases.)

i am still trying to figure out if the game has a limit on pink tail drops?

There is no limit , you can keep on getting them for as long as you like.

best place is the flan floor of lunar ruins, they are a rare random encounter and come in packs of 8. no sirens involved.

Well it wouldn't actually be the best place then because you can't use Sirens.

Sirens in the Lunar Subterrane room means that you can fight 5 Flan Princesses in every single battle, which makes it a lot more time efficient. (I.e. more Flans per hour.)
---
#3Deathlike2Posted 5/18/2009 12:08:40 PM
You can get as many of any item as long as there are monsters to kill.

The VERY IMPORTANT key is that as soon as you get the tail, you should trade it IMMEDIATELY. Having more than one tail would be considered "trading many tails for just one armor". Giving key items to a NPC through an event trigger, such as the tail trader, will remove ALL instances of that key item from that inventory. For example, if you manage to pick up more than one key from Dr. Lugae (because you were cheating), you will "stuff" every key into that special door to the Super Cannon.
#4lonerfuhrer88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2009 8:26:30 PM
exactly where do you use the sirens to get the 5 flan princess encounter? sirens are semi rare as you can't buy them. they are a rare drop or you can sometimes steal them. there are only a few monsters in the game that drop sirens, and those monsters are rare or in out of the way places. i always wanted to know what happens if you use a siren in the overworld or in a place like lunar ruins. when you use a siren in different places, do different monsters appear at random? can you call other rare monsters with the sirens? how many other monsters can be called with a siren? (besides the flan princess) i believe i've called green dragons with a siren, which are rare and good monsters to fight because they can drop siren or silver apples.
---
"great armies do not exist for peace. they exist solely for triumphant exertion in war." -AH
#5lonerfuhrer88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2009 8:33:47 PM
also i have always wanted to know if it is possible to steal the pink tail from flan princess or steal other rare items like golden apple or soma drop? can you steal more than one item from a monster in a battle? if you do steal an item from a monster, is it true that it never drops a random item after that battle?
---
#6Deathlike2Posted 5/18/2009 9:37:38 PM
When you steal items from monsters, you will ALWAYS steal the most common item from them unless they drop them 100% of the time (like Dr. Lugae or the Lunar bosses). These happen to be the top-most items on the monster's drop lists. Most monsters have a 5% chance to drop an item in the first place. Every monster has a drop list of 4 items, where some items share one or more drop slots. The drop rates are 1/2 (most common/steal), 5/16, 11/64, 1/64. The Pink Tail is obviously the rarest (1/64).

When you encounter monsters, the encounter rate is slotted into 8 different possibilities. The Siren ALWAYS the battle with the rarest probability (1/64), which the Flan Princesses battle happens to be in.

The area to find the Pinkpuffs in the Lunar Subterrane is in a small area. Starting from the B6 entrance, goto B5, and you'll see a little "room" to the right side, and a passageway on the left to go upwards and/or collect the Crystal Helmet. Inside that little room on the right side is the encounter area for the Flan Princesses.

To acquire more Sirens, you must steal them from Searchers in the Lunar Ruins... in the areas that resemble the Giant of Babil. Those shouldn't be hard to steal, unless you are vastly underleveled (Steal is directly affected by Edge's level, relative to the monster's level, which you cannot normally see).
#7CleteromagosPosted 5/20/2009 9:36:10 PM
The VERY IMPORTANT key is that as soon as you get the tail, you should trade it IMMEDIATELY. Having more than one tail would be considered "trading many tails for just one armor". Giving key items to a NPC through an event trigger, such as the tail trader, will remove ALL instances of that key item from that inventory. For example, if you manage to pick up more than one key from Dr. Lugae (because you were cheating), you will "stuff" every key into that special door to the Super Cannon.

That is true for the SFC release, but I thought it was fixed for this port?
---
New character, Dead Baby Birdo, is three fails in one! --Armydillo
Okay Funky Kong on Flame Runner. Time Trials he's a dominatrix. --KT_Koopa_Troopa
#8lonerfuhrer88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2009 12:33:00 AM
i have found that walking around the entire floor (try to hit almost every square) increases your chances of the rare random 8 pink flan encounter. if you simply pace back and forth in a straight line, it takes alot longer. or so it seems. this is what i have learned from hours of fighting flans on the flan level of lunar ruins.
---
#9lonerfuhrer88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2009 5:27:58 AM
white or blue fangs work great for these flan battles if you have them, they take off about 5000 HP each!
---
#10silktailPosted 5/21/2009 5:19:13 PM
i have found that walking around the entire floor (try to hit almost every square) increases your chances of the rare random 8 pink flan encounter. if you simply pace back and forth in a straight line, it takes alot longer. or so it seems. this is what i have learned from hours of fighting flans on the flan level of lunar ruins.

Unfortunately the random encounters are produced by a pretty bad random number generator, in this version.

So yes you should find that you get moments of frequent rare encounters, inbetween long gaps where none appearing at all.
(Note: Reloading a save/quick-save will start that "random" sequence back near the beginning.)
---