Highest level on 1st playthrough?

#1economiesterPosted 6/15/2010 2:41:48 PM
I've done several playthroughs of this game on normal difficulty, and I have never been able to get to level 54 on normal difficulty without a newgame+. What's the highest level you can get w/o newgame+ on normal difficulty?
---
Milton Friedman. 1912-2006. Rest in Peace.
#2zarachidePosted 6/15/2010 4:18:52 PM
On my very first playthrough (still 0 achievements) I got to lvl 50 on the planet before the citadel IIRC, I did explore a lot and did quite some side missions.
#3Perfect LightPosted 6/15/2010 7:23:33 PM
50 is cap on first playthrough, then on second it becomes 60.
---
"Dying is when one dyes something, IE hair. Dieing is when one dies. You're a moron." -pwn_teh_noobz
youtube.com/sciencebytes...learn something new
#4Mr_CollinsPosted 6/16/2010 6:11:11 AM
The above is correct, but I don't think that's what TC is asking.

57 is about as high as you can go with a new character. By milking everything, you may be able to hit 58, but I can't remember if I've seen reliable reports of that or just speculation.

Now, I've never seen a difficulty listed with these. It's likely the folks who did these were running Hardcore or Insanity. But the exp rewards are the same for all difficulties. The only thing that may change is the number and type of enemies at some locations - there are conflicting reports of this.

So I'd guess 57 is still in reach for a new character.
---
~Tom
#5Perfect LightPosted 6/16/2010 6:46:15 AM
The above is correct, but I don't think that's what TC is asking.

I think it is. The topic is called "Highest level on 1st playthrough?" The highest level you can get without going into New Game+ is level 50, like I said. Then, once you restart you can go up to 60.
---
"Dying is when one dyes something, IE hair. Dieing is when one dies. You're a moron." -pwn_teh_noobz
#6CloakedNubPosted 6/16/2010 6:59:17 AM

Was he joking? 'Cause I sure hope so.

And I'd say both of you, Mr_Collins and Perfect Light, have answered the question. Different answers, but they both work for what was asked, and the TC is even more informed now. So we're all good, right?
#7Mr_CollinsPosted 6/16/2010 7:35:39 AM
Only if you think the topic title and first post text are different questions.

Either way though, the truth is out there.
---
~Tom
#8Perfect LightPosted 6/16/2010 9:52:38 AM
Well the first message also says:

What's the highest level you can get w/o newgame+ on normal difficulty?

The answer to that would be level 50, as I said.
---
#9Mr_CollinsPosted 6/16/2010 10:22:41 AM
Wrong.

What's the highest level you can get w/o newgame+ on normal difficulty?

The answer to that would be 57 (or thereabouts) as I said.

Unless it's the first playthrough on that gamertag in which case you hit the level cap. The level cap of 50 applies only to the first playthrough of the game. All subsequent runs, be they new characters or new game+ characters, are capped only at the level 60 max.

Given that TC has completed several playthoughs of this game on normal difficulty, and implies that he's made it to at least level 54 on a New Game+, it's a stretch to assume he's capped by anything but the level max.
---
~Tom
#10Mr_CollinsPosted 6/16/2010 10:26:28 AM
I should also point out, directly, that level 60 is doable in a single run if you abuse the mining laser glitch.

When people ask this sort of question, they're usually not interested in glitching, but it's worth pointing out.

Obviously this does not apply to virgin runs that cannot level higher than 50.
---
~Tom