The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Class questions (ME2 player, first time with ME1)

#1SketczPosted 7/11/2012 2:27:04 AM
Got ME1, I'm intending only a single playthrough on Normal. I don't do alt difficulty levels and I don't do New Game+

I took Infiltrator for ME2, but disliked how I didn't have access to all the weapons. ME1 seems even stricter with regards to what your class can use.

I want access to all weapons, so I'm thinking Soldier...

But they don't have any Biotics, right?

I was also thinking of going Infiltrator again, because it says in the manual you get access to different paths, and I think I read on a forum it allows you to open all chests. Is this true? Will the Soldier class be unable to hack all doors/chests?

What exactly can the Infiltrator do that the Soldier can't?

On the other hand, the Infiltrator can only use the crappy pistol and sniper rifle, and I'm told the rifle no longer has slow-mo (so it's crap). Also, the Infiltrator also has no biotics, right?

Basically I want to personally use as many weapons as possible, I'm not really bothered by biotics because they seemed useless in ME2, but I definitely want to be able to hack and open absolutely everything I come across.

Advice?
#2MattheauPosted 7/11/2012 3:45:33 AM
Getting access to all the weapons is pointless. Pistols are extremely good in ME1. Assault Rifles are only better if you aren't willing to spam Master Marksman over and over. It doesn't matter which you use anyways. Both are so overpowered that they decimate everything for every class. Shotguns and Sniper Rifles have horrible limitations that make them less effective than Pistols and Assault Rifles.

Some doors and chests require you have X points in Electronics or Decryption, skills that every Tech class gets. You do not need to have these skills on Shepard, any party member with these skills counts.

Biotics are extremely powerful in ME1, as well. Then again, they are extremely powerful in ME2 (a well played Adept kills enemies faster than any other class by a long shot), but ME1 doesn't require you understand what you are doing. You can just spam Lift and Singularity and enemies can never do anything to you ever.

Really, the only reason to play Soldier/Infiltrator is for Immunity Specialization, an ability that effectively makes you invincible. However, an Adept with a Pistol and Pistol capped can pretty easily outdamage a Vanguard trying to use a Shotgun.
#3Hotel_SecurityPosted 7/11/2012 9:49:20 AM(edited)
Shotguns and Sniper Rifles have horrible limitations that make them less effective than Pistols and Assault Rifles.

Don’t beat up the shotgun. I love that thing. It’s a one-shot knock-back on all enemies if you’re close enough (best if mixed with your partners having other types) and the Carnage attack is pretty sweet. Yes, Yes, I know the per-second damage is better for those other two but if you’ve got a Vanguard, it’s sweet

Some doors and chests require you have X points in Electronics or Decryption,

The stingiest are those probes that you find on every planet…they need at least a Level-3 Electronics skill. Though they’re basically just the same as any other container so you’re not missing much.

Biotics are extremely powerful in ME1, as well

Yes, they’re almost game-breaking if you have the right skills...even more needed on harder difficulties. Warp keeps guys from regenerating health, Push can keep stuff from charging you and leaves enemies laying there as you shoot them and Lift is amazingly broken as you can just shoot a dude to death as he’s just floating there…even works on the final boss. And these are just lower level ones…Singularity is like a bigger version of Lift. They’ll make things more fun as just shooting stuff can get tiring.
#4Sketcz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 10:33:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. I reckon soldier is the way to go, combined with some crew that have high tech...
#5smeech8000Posted 7/11/2012 1:04:59 PM(edited)
Sketcz posted...
Thanks for the advice. I reckon soldier is the way to go, combined with some crew that have high tech...

While this will acheive what you're going for, it is also an extremely boring and one-dimensional way to play. It is probably the default way most players go through the game the first time, and if you're planning on making repeat playthroughs I would say go ahead, however since you are only going through once I would highly recommend either an Adept or an Infiltrator. Both work fine without a bonus talent (since you won't have access to one, although AI Hacking complements Infiltrators reeaaalllly well.)

Basically I want to personally use as many weapons as possible, I'm not really bothered by biotics because they seemed useless in ME2, but I definitely want to be able to hack and open absolutely everything I come across.

Biotics are extremely OP in this game. The cooldown system was overhauled between ME1 and ME2; ME1 does not have a global cooldown, i.e. each power has its own individual cooldown period, allowing Biotic (and Tech) classes to unleash a slew of powers in immediate succession. Adepts and Vanguards have complete control over anything you will face, as maxed Lift is effective even on a Geth Colossus (remember Haestrom in ME2?). With high level biotic amps and maxed passive/specialization talents you can nearly spam powers indefinitely.

I would also advocate for Infiltrator since much more of ME1's gameplay takes place outdoors where snipers have a distinct advantage. Fitness (Immunity) doesn't hurt either, although on Normal you may be better off spending your points elsewhere. Throw up Immunity and Master Marksman and you can run-and-gun even more effectively than a Revenant-wielding, Hardened Adrenaline Soldier.

Bottom line, ME1 is different than its descendants in the aspect that powers are king and guns are less of a factor. As mentioned before, pistols have the highest DPS due to Marksman, and every class gets access to the same ammo mods (as opposed to the class-specific ammo powers of ME2).
#6Sketcz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2012 12:44:58 AM
Hmm, interesting points.

One criticism with ME2 and the combat was that it felt very repetitive. I'm actually really looking forward to ME1 to see how it feels to play, seeing as its described as less streamlined.

Now I'm leaning more towards Infiltrator again...
#7MattheauPosted 7/12/2012 4:04:08 AM
Hotel_Security posted...
Don’t beat up the shotgun. I love that thing. It’s a one-shot knock-back on all enemies if you’re close enough (best if mixed with your partners having other types) and the Carnage attack is pretty sweet. Yes, Yes, I know the per-second damage is better for those other two but if you’ve got a Vanguard, it’s sweet

Everything in this game is overpowered. A Sentinel in Light Armor with no combat skills can slaughter almost everything with a high end pistol and can ignore most damage with high end armor.

Even so, the Shotgun is subpar no matter what due to the rate of fire and spread. Pistols and Assault Rifles will kill large groups of enemies before the Shotgun gets close enough to reliably land enough pellets to do reasonable damage.

smeech8000 posted...
I would also advocate for Infiltrator since much more of ME1's gameplay takes place outdoors where snipers have a distinct advantage. Fitness (Immunity) doesn't hurt either, although on Normal you may be better off spending your points elsewhere. Throw up Immunity and Master Marksman and you can run-and-gun even more effectively than a Revenant-wielding, Hardened Adrenaline Soldier.

You are really over stating the value of sniper rifles. For one thing, pistols and assault rifles become so accurate they can hit anything in visual range with ease. They also do more damage and faster. In addition, a lot of the game does take place outdoors, but those areas have virtually no enemies and the ones they do have are mostly the weakest in the game.

No, you should not be spending points anywhere else. Fitness is far and away the best and only ability Soldiers/Infiltrators need. Weapon skills only give a fairly marginal damage bonus and tighten up accuracy. If Fitness is maxed, you can walk up to enemies on Insanity and shoot them at point blank range and they can't kill you unless you stand still for about ten minutes and do nothing. If you are a Soldier, many enemies cannot kill you with Insanity up because your health regen is higher than their DPS.

Sketcz posted...
Hmm, interesting points.

One criticism with ME2 and the combat was that it felt very repetitive. I'm actually really looking forward to ME1 to see how it feels to play, seeing as its described as less streamlined.

Now I'm leaning more towards Infiltrator again...

ME1 is more repetitive. It just has a lot of fake options and useless skills. You spam the same abilities over and over again against enemies that fight exactly the same. There is actually more variety in ME2. Yeah, you might have less powers, but they are functionally different powers. As opposed to ME1, where biotics get almost half a dozen abilities that have the same net result.
#8GlavewurmPosted 7/12/2012 10:35:37 AM
the ones they do have are mostly the weakest in the game.

Isn't the most common outdoor enemy space pirates? I wouldn't call them the weakest in the game. They have some of the highest burst damage and can immunity spam.
---
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20120528.gif
#9Sketcz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2012 4:28:57 AM
Started playing - turns out I CAN use all the weapons as an Infiltrator, I just can't train in them.

I meant how in ME2, while I was an Infiltrator I wasn't able to use some weapons, such as the assault rifle. Which annoyed me. I just never got access to some weapons, ever. Whereas my team-mates did. I wanted access to everything.

So far enjoying this more than ME2. The different weapons and armours are AWESOME. I love how I can customise each one with a weapon upgrade plus ammo speciality. And the variety of armour, for each species, is also brilliant.

This is fantastic, really, really fantastic. I feel like I am in total control of how I customise my guys - I'm really disappointed I played ME2 first instead of this (only recently got a 360).
#10Hotel_SecurityPosted 7/13/2012 10:48:17 AM
Everything in this game is overpowered.

Then aren’t they all equally powered?

turns out I CAN use all the weapons as an Infiltrator, I just can't train in them.

Yeah, but your aim in these weapons will be so awful, there’s little point in using them. I only used them to kill monkeys to get the 150 kills with each weapon and the untrained ones took a LOT longer due to crappy aim.

I'm really disappointed I played ME2 first instead of this (only recently got a 360).

I don’t have a 360 either but I waited until I got a nice PC and could play ME1 on PC…even then I had to wait to get internet since the DRM software kept me from playing it until I got internet at home.