I can see why NOA won't localize this franchise for NA.....

#1NES_Man_IIPosted 12/17/2007 9:08:34 PM
.........Don't get me wrong....This is a great game....it just won't sell well in NA no matter what. The game is too weird and strange and cute. They'd have to spend a lot of time to do some heavy modifications.

And if you say...well Mario and Kirby are also really weird and cute. Yes, that's true, but they are IP that have been well established for quite some time now.
#2NessEggmanPosted 12/18/2007 2:52:28 AM
Plenty of cute games come out newly and do fairly well (Cooking Mama, for example), and also with Nintendo trying to appeal to more audiences, this kind of game would fit in well. TONS AND TONS of games go unlocalized -- the problem isn't that the game won't sell, the problem is that they have other games that would sell better. This game probably wouldn't do too bad with good marketing.

I think the reason they never bothered is because not only when the first game was released, the Nintendo bashing for being "kiddie" was much more prominent, but also because this game has tons of text, especially for a platformer, and they are simply too lazy/cheap to localize it when it probably won't sell as well as other games.

But I mean, they have to choose a limited number of games to localize. And they're going to spend their time/money on doing Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, etc etc etc and don't want to waste resources on localizing a game no one has ever heard of here but a small group of fans.
---
Just wake me up when Tokimeki Memorial 4 is announced.
#3NES_Man_II(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2007 4:07:24 AM
this game has tons of text, especially for a platformer, and they are simply too lazy/cheap to localize it when it probably won't sell as well as other games.

Good point. It really is a shame. What a waste of a potentially awesome IP for Nintendo in the NA sector. If Nintendo had invested the proper time and money back when the first Stafi came out in Japan and really worked hard at making a great localization for the NA market, I believe this game may have caught on with gamers and become another strong franchise for Nintendo in NA. I'm just glad that it's import friendly and also happy that GBAs and DSs have no region protection.
#4SaltCodPosted 12/18/2007 6:21:50 PM
Stafy's demographic is Kirby's demographic. I can see your point about establishment, but I think Stafy would sell as well as Kirby if they let it get a foothold. I can understand their failure to localize Mother 3 (though very painful for me) moreso than Stafy.

Then again, games falling out of the most mainstream tastes often flounder unless they have backing. Katamari wouldn't have done as well as it did without some backing from sites and magazines and such - as much as I'm disinclined to trust one opinion in whole, they are an excellent vehicle for awareness.

And as much as it pains me to say, the bulk of the audience will pay attention to the most hype. Whatever is exposed the most for them, or gets the most attention will invariably have the most supporters and detractors. That's why games fall under the radar - they're drowned out.

With Smash Bros there's going to be a lot of overnight Stafy fans, which is good. Luckily you can import the games. Just pray Customs doesn't paw it over.

---
Complete FAQS: 62
http://faqs.retronintendo.com | http://sms.sitesled.com
#5NessEggmanPosted 12/22/2007 4:43:36 AM
Well, it actually costs a LOT of money to produce a game and ship it out and everything. It's rare that companies actually profit off specific games. Though I also don't think Stafy would cost them all that much money to make... but I also think that they figured they wouldn't make much money off it at all.

Though you are right about hype. I mean, most people would be turned off of games like Katamari Damacy just from looking at them or reading the description, but that game has a ton of fans you would never expect because for some reason that game got a lot of hype from gaming news sources. Rune Factory was advertised way more than Natsume's ever done, and suddenly a bunch of Harvest Moon fans spawned from it.

Another reason we probably won't see it, though, is that the game seems pretty dead in Japan right now. I mean, up until Stafy 4, they were making a new game once a year. Now we haven't seen one and I haven't heard anything about Stafy 5. And the not-little-kid fanbase is not much bigger in Japan than the English-speaking Stafy fanbase it seems.

Also, TOSE also owns the right to Stafy, so there might be some problem with that.
---
#6parrothead1983Posted 1/14/2008 2:36:20 AM
SmashChu from NinDB (Nintendo Database) told me that the Stafy series were released only in Japan, because all four titles didn't sell well enough. SmashChu got this info from VGChartz.

Here are how many units were sold for all four Stafy titles:

* Densetsu no Stafy - 0.46m units
* Densetsu no Stafy 2 - 0.43m units
* Densetsu no Stafy 3 - 0.23m units
* Densetsu no Stafy 4 - 0.17m units

Stafy became an Assist Trophy, probably because Stafy can't punch or kick with his very short limbs. I remember when I had a hard time trying to imagine how he would his A-Button moves work. I became too lazy to make them up.
#7NessEggmanPosted 1/15/2008 6:54:11 PM
I'd assume he would do some normal punch/kick type things like Jigglypuff and Kirby. Those guys have even smaller limbs than Stafy.

And wow the sales for the games kept going down and down... we'll probably never see more Stafy games :(
---
#8EdwardoMario16Posted 1/15/2008 11:04:10 PM
Well, at least Stafi was in Super Princess Peach. And unfortunately, I think that's all we'll get of Stafi in terms of localization.

Waste of money and effort if you ask me. Take all this time to build an IP and you don't even bother using it for other regions. Then again, NA didn't get it's first Fire Emblem game until 2003...
---
Cheaters DO prosper. Just ask the New England Patriots.