Any way to reduce Zombie Breath's damage? (Spoilers)

#1EnigmaGamerPosted 7/17/2009 5:00:21 PM
Freelancer Single Class Challenge

Boss: Exdeath at his castle

This is a "low level" run, so I'm trying to avoid leveling as much as I possibly can.

The lowest max HP I have is 595 and none of the characters have over 700. My party is at level 22 and 23.

I do not have Angel Rings, Flame Rings, or Coral Rings since I did not buy them in World 1 since getting Gil would level me up too much. I already plan to leave the castle to at least get more items since I forgot to buy the zombie curing item before entering.

I have only farmed for 3 Death Sickles, 3 Dark Bows, and 4 Reflect Rings, so at least I have a good chance at phase 2 if I have enough Phoenix Downs, but I need to make it to phase 2.

Is there a way to make sure I always survive Zombie Breath, or do I need level up more?
---
Currently Playing: Star Ocean: The Last Hope (722/900 Battle Trophies), Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?, Raiden Fighters Aces
#2EnigmaGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2009 5:04:30 PM
BTW, both the SNES "Bare" FAQ and the GBA Challenges FAQ suggest breaking rods/staves on this fight.

The only rod I broke in this challenge was accidental and didn't even give me an advantage since I just fled after that. I've fought every boss so far without them, so I don't plan to start using them now. Plus, I'd have to actually get the staves since I don't have any rods, and it'd probably be quicker to pull a fair win than farm those.
---
Currently Playing: Star Ocean: The Last Hope (722/900 Battle Trophies), Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?, Raiden Fighters Aces
#3EnigmaGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2009 5:06:37 PM
Yet another post.

Also got a Power Staff since I am not waiting for Omniscient to kill itself or run out of MP.
---
#4silktailPosted 7/18/2009 2:46:42 PM
Any way to reduce Zombie Breath's damage?

Shell will halve the damage, but I can't see how you could get that.
Also the Aegis shield gives a chance (33%) of avoiding the damage.

Now if it was the Zombies themselves you "could" have used Angel Rings, or better yet set to work using weapons that would heal your surviving party members.

I did not buy them in World 1 since getting Gil would level me up too much.

That isn't a total problem in World 1. Although the long amount of time to get the money would be.

In some places of the Oceans you can meet battles with double Corbetts. Each one has 0 Exp and 1000 Gil.
---
#5EnigmaGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2009 3:30:28 PM
I took the Flame Shield instead of Aegis Shield. I can get 4 of each of those once I have Thief Knife anyway. Plus 33%, although it'd help, doesn't guarantee anything.

So I guess it's level up until my characters are more likely to survive it.
---
#6JSH357Posted 7/19/2009 6:33:22 AM
Just level up a bit and try again, level up and try again until it works. That fight was a problem in most of the SCCs I did, but I never had too much trouble with Zombie Breath. You must just be getting unlucky.
#7silktailPosted 7/19/2009 2:56:35 PM
I took the Flame Shield instead of Aegis Shield.

Yes, it is a more difficult choice without the Flame Rings.

Plus 33%, although it'd help, doesn't guarantee anything.

It gives you have a better random chance of surviving the Zombie Breath turn. Which means you have to do it less times, before you get a lucky break.

(Although that is assuming that it is the only action killing the party.)

That fight was a problem in most of the SCCs I did, but I never had too much trouble with Zombie Breath. You must just be getting unlucky.

It was a low level SCC, which is probably why they haven't had as much luck.
---