*SPOILERS!* About pre-maturely leaving the Floating Continent

#1DarkAres_02Posted 3/22/2009 10:42:06 AM
Okay, so I just tried to defeat/was utterly destroyed by Ultima Weapon with my team of Terra, Locke, Edgar, and Shadow, all around Level 28. However, between the save point and the boss, I'm given the option to board the airship. But I have a few questions about that...

A) If I leave the airship, Shadow stays behind, right? Otherwise, I could easily return to the continent without Shadow, and that might mess up the story. Or at the very least, he would be reunited with Interceptor and become a lot more useful.

B) When I return after leaving, do I start again where I started the first time (as in, do I have to travel through the continent again to get to Ultima Weapon?)?

C) Is it worth bringing Celes over Terra for Runic? My Terra has much better stats through Esper training, and has mastered practically every Esper I have. In fact, she was the main reason I got as far as I did in the Ultima Weapon battle (although getting to his Flare Star/Meteor phase was easy, surviving it wasn't).

D) What level is recommended for this battle? I want to keep Locke in my party, since he's my favorite character, and I'd like to keep Terra in unless I would do infinitely better otherwise. And I guess I'm forced to use Shadow, so...who's the best final party member? I was doing pretty well with Edgar, but I wouldn't mind switching him out.
---
"Learn your place in the world. On your knees."
Planning to buy: Dissidia (eventually in English) and Sonic and the Black Knight (when under $60)
#2MeepleLardiclePosted 3/22/2009 10:54:15 AM
A) If I leave the airship, Shadow stays behind, right? Otherwise, I could easily return to the continent without Shadow, and that might mess up the story. Or at the very least, he would be reunited with Interceptor and become a lot more useful.

Shadow will leave you the instant you leave the FC; you can gain him back the same place he joined initially there. Basically, can't take him off the FC at this point, sorry to say.

B) When I return after leaving, do I start again where I started the first time (as in, do I have to travel through the continent again to get to Ultima Weapon?)?

Start at the beginning of the entire FC. The Leave thing is there mostly as pity cause you're about to hit a point of no return, so it gives you one last chance to turn back.

C) Is it worth bringing Celes over Terra for Runic? My Terra has much better stats through Esper training, and has mastered practically every Esper I have. In fact, she was the main reason I got as far as I did in the Ultima Weapon battle (although getting to his Flare Star/Meteor phase was easy, surviving it wasn't).

No, not really. Runic hits all of like 2 worthwhile moves (Flare and Fira) against him, and neither are particularly predictable. Runic is actually kind of worthless overall, since most of the things you'd like it to hit (barring Ultima)...it doesn't, and it ends up hurting your team more than helping.

D) What level is recommended for this battle? I want to keep Locke in my party, since he's my favorite character, and I'd like to keep Terra in unless I would do infinitely better otherwise. And I guess I'm forced to use Shadow, so...who's the best final party member? I was doing pretty well with Edgar, but I wouldn't mind switching him out

Level 25~ should be fine, by which I mean "if you're a little lower, don't sweat it." That's just a rough estimate.

For strategies...
Have Edgar use Drill, Locke should be dual wielding Hawkeyes *OR* Casting Magic, though his damage will probably be the worst/least relaible, so probably best used as a healer here, and Terra just hurling her strongest spells (Blizzara at this point, if you want a technicality.) As an extra idea, have Terra use Trance when he reaches the second stage, and she can help blast right past it, into his 3rd, considerably weaker stage. Shadow...if you have Scrolls (they're all equal in power, mind), use them now, otherwise, just hurl lots of Shurikens.

It couldn't hurt to give Terra Earrings to insure her damage is maximized. Edgar should be using Gigas Glove, Shadow get whatever is complimenting his damage better (If Shurikens, Gigas Glove, if Scrolls, Earrings; if you've only got a limited stock of the latter, use a Hero Ring so you can adjust immediately.)

Terra and Edgar are among the best characters you can use at this point. Locke probably has a lot of spells learned in this case, so swapping him out for someone else might not be beneficial either, so your team should be fine.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#3DarkAres_02(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2009 10:59:44 AM
Oh, awesome advice, thanks.

I guess my strategy just sucked and that's why I got owned. Actually, Terra was strictly a White Mage when I was playing; I guess that was a problem.

Another question, but...how exactly do you use Trance/Morph? Usually after she transforms, she loses it by the time her turn rolls around. Maybe I'm missing what it's actually supposed to do...
---
Planning to buy: Dissidia (eventually in English) and Sonic and the Black Knight (when under $60)
#4MajinKain0Posted 3/22/2009 10:59:59 AM
A. Yes, Shadow stays behind, but he'll be waiting for you when you return (he cannot have interceptor at this part of the game, unfortunately)

B. If you leave and come back, you'll start at the same place as before, near Shadow at the begging of the continent.

C. Not really. Runic won't protect against Flare Star or Meteor anyway.

D. Your level is fine, if anything I'd say it's a bit over leveled, actually. Terra should be using -ara spells, Locke should use a Hawkeye, or two if you want. Edgar's a fine choice, Drill/Chainsaw are both good options, and if you stole a Debilitator from one of the Air Force parts, you can use it and hope for a weakness you can hit. Gau's a good choice if you've taken the time to get some of his useful rages.
#5MeepleLardiclePosted 3/22/2009 11:29:17 AM
Trance builds up as Terra accumulates Magic Ability Points from battle (she will always gain these, assuming the enemy formation gives them, so she doesn't have to be learning a spell.) More the better.

In the middle of battle, just choose Trance, and she'll transform; note this does NOT Reset the ATB gauge, so Terra can get another turn immediately (the game will jump to another character with a full gauge, mind, so it gives the illusion that it actually takes a full turn.) While under Trance, Terra's damage doubles, and all magic damage dealt to her is halved; this does not apply to anything defense ignoring though.

And yeah, using Terra as a strict white mage hurts her use. She's got a tremendous magic power stat, Aras from her are some of your best source of offense (especially if you give her White Dress, Mystery Veil and an Elemental Sword), if not your best (only Shadow's Scrolls and Relm's Ara's should be comparable.), and this is before factoring in Trance.
---
www.rpgdl.com
#6MeepleLardiclePosted 3/22/2009 11:37:50 AM
Oh, and if its not obvious, Trance needs to be used Sparingly. Its best saved strictly for boss fights (Terra should accumulate enough Magic Points between bosses on average to use it on each), where the damage boost actually matters.

Its a good special, but you can't use it on EVERYTHING; it'd otherwise be like the single most broken special in the game <_<

Oh, just remember you CAN skip character turns by pressing the Select Button, if you want to get to Terra's turn after she Trance's ASAP. Additionally, you can abuse a bit of a bug/programming oversight/etc. by casting STop or Sleep on Terra while she's transformed, letting the Gauge run out while she's still in that status, then healing the status; this will make her stay in Trance the rest of the battle, assuming she never dies.
---
www.rpgdl.com
#7DarkAres_02(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2009 11:42:00 AM
DOUBLE DAMAGE?!

I really should have tried that out...thanks again, I think I can take on Ultima Weapon now (although I missed Mog, so I'm still going to exit for now and go get him).
---
#8MeepleLardiclePosted 3/22/2009 12:27:31 PM
If you're gonna get Mog, I advise that you make a run through the Serpent Trench (or Lethe River, but that takes longer) just to get him some dances; that way, you won't have to rely on a single boss fight later to learn said Dance.
---
www.rpgdl.com
#9MeepleLardiclePosted 3/22/2009 12:43:25 PM
Err...I should say, Go through the Serpent Trench with MOG IN YOUR TEAM. Also, don't use any Dances, or that will defeat the purpose <_<
---
www.rpgdl.com
#10TintoPosted 3/22/2009 8:22:30 PM
On the bright side, if you leave the floating continent, you don't have to go through the imperial air force sequence again.
---
ACCF FC Info: Sparky in Arfeador
FC: 5155-7148-3882