The first Ultros boss fight questions

#1Max40Posted 1/23/2010 7:02:19 PM
How do you beat him without overleveling? When he uses his tentacles on all characters, it usually either hits for 3/4 of what the characters have or ultimately kills them. Now if I use Terra to heal all and Banon to pray, it helps to heal the characters I have left. Well that's if Terra is alive after he uses it. Once Banon is gone it's game over and he has the lowest hit points. I do have up-to-date equipment. Is the first Ultros just one of those bosses that requires a higher level?
---
Now playing La Pucelle, Xenosaga, and Castlevania
#2MeepleLardiclePosted 1/23/2010 7:13:47 PM
Back Row helps a lot.

Following that...

He will always attack Terra first with Tentacle. Using this knowledge, have her Defend until he hits her. Sabin will be #2, but you have some time between Tentacles (about 2 of his turns? Note that Octopus Ink is a counter to Terra's Fire, so those don't count), but do the same there. Banon will be the 3rd person to attack, so Defend there when you get the chance. Have Terra heal Banon immediately once that happens, if he gets that far.

Edgar should use Auto Crossbow, Terra should cast Fire, and Sabin should use Aura Cannon, or if that's too hard, Raging Fist. Bannon should do nothing but use Pray, outside of the turn he's defending.

Again, Back Row helps a lot here, and that may actually stop you from requiring the defend strategy, but keep his pattern in mind. He will stop attacking specific people after he goes after Banon, mind, and he will always counter Terra with Octopus Ink, but don't bother healing the Status; Terra should ONLY attack wtih Fire anyway, and the damage it does is irrelevant as Pray will just get rid of it anyway.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#3Max40(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2010 4:33:51 AM
Yeah, wow you even think defending with certain characters on certain turns makes a difference as well and you certainly know the player will cast fire on him. lol I don't usually put my characters in the back. That is a good point too...to know who the enemy hits on it's turns. It makes sense why he would attack Terra first too.

ok (Spoiler)

Ultros fears Terra. Either he has an incentive that Terra and Sabin knows fire or he is in cahoots with Kefka. Sabin has a fire attack too. And Edgar won't matter when Banon is done. He's not smart though..doesn't try and take out Banon first even if he uses an all attack...but maybe he wasn't supposed to be or born to be. He just hates Terra and Sabin that much. I never really noticed or thought about it but, I wonder if Chupon blows Terra out of the airship battle first when Ultros teams up with him. I can see Chupon actually slaving to Ultros' needs/wants. Well thanks Meeple.
---
#4Plant42Posted 1/25/2010 12:28:11 PM
I thought he just goes after Terra because he is a pervert.
#5Zhou14Posted 1/25/2010 12:34:39 PM
Believe me, Back Row can help you avoid annoying situations throughout the entire game. Just ask a current LLGer.
---
"Oh, it's a self-motivation book, Mrs. D. I'm reading it for Kim because she can't be bothered." Sharon (Kath and Kim)
#6MeepleLardiclePosted 1/25/2010 2:42:07 PM
Considering both translations have Ultros calling Terra a "Delicious Morsel", the logic I figured was that Terra, being the smallest and weakest looking target, he'd go after her first.

*Spoilers about later fights from here*
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Really, people talk about Ultros "being a perv", yet, he has a scene later with Celes where he...tries to crush her with a weight? Uh, ok, not perverted.
Later, he actually interacts with Terra and Relm and...does nothing perverted there (rejects Relm's wish to paint him, then Terra reprimands him.)

We don't even have proof that the thing stuck to Terra's leg was in fact Ultros (we can assume that to be the case, but we see nothing nor is anything confirmed <_<)

That said, regarding Sabin knowing a fire move...that's not a given at the moment. And if anything, he says "You frighten me" to BANON of all people. You know, the guy whose offensively worthless in that fight?

In the end, trying to find logic in Ultros just doesn't work.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#7Max40(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2010 7:20:53 PM
Yeah you're right about Sabin, he hates muscular dudes. He just called Sabin musclebound something or other. Yeah Ultros is hard to figure out.
---
#8VeghEstherPosted 1/26/2010 9:04:29 AM
I prefer having Sabin at level 15 since I believe his fire elemental blitz may do more damage then Aura Cannon for this battle (but even if it doesn't) having it usable makes random battles still easier even for a LLG.