What is the best rune for Locust Swarm?

#1Iced_ShadowsPosted 6/6/2012 1:51:18 PM
Hello, I am currently in Hell mode trying to get to Inferno, and I find that Locust Swarm is one of the more useful abilities that a Witch Doctor has. Most of the runes seem pretty useful, though I haven't unlocked Searing Locusts yet. Which rune is the best in general, and which will dish out the most damage? I know it'll likely be the same answer for both questions, but you never know.
---
Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred... - Shadow Temple Walls
#2AznKnightPosted 6/6/2012 1:53:26 PM
Pestilence. Spreading through the entire mob is too useful
#3ManstartPosted 6/6/2012 1:55:11 PM
I use the mana one as it is a great regeneration
---
AC Milan - 7 time European champion, 4 time European supercup winner
#4Iced_Shadows(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2012 1:59:36 PM
AznKnight posted...
Pestilence. Spreading through the entire mob is too useful

So you think this is the best one for dishing out damage? I'm guessing Searing Locusts does more overall to each enemy, but I can see why Pestilence could be more useful for sure.

The mana regeneration doesn't appeal to the way I play my Witch Doctor. I have used it here and there, but it doesn't really impress me. Just my opinion on it anyway.
---
Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred... - Shadow Temple Walls
#5AznKnightPosted 6/6/2012 2:08:32 PM
I used Pestilence throughout Hell Mode (Dont use it anymore in Inferno), and I just found it too useful. Throw out a locust swarm on 1 enemy and watch as the entire screen full (and mobs off screen) gets hit by a locust swarm. If they arent outright dead, due to your dps, then they'll be very low on health. The speed in which it hits all mobs is very quick. I tried Searing Locust, but spreading to 1 enemy at a time, you can definitely see the difference.

And after you throw it out, you can just run around avoiding hits (and shooting back if needed).

Hit 1 mob->Spread to 2->Spread to 4 more->Spread to 8 addtional-> etc

compared to

Hit 1 mob->spread to 1->spread to 1->spread to 1
#6Iced_Shadows(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2012 2:16:46 PM
Right, so Pestilence is going to be better in most situation then. I see. I'll probably use that one most often then (I tend to change things up to keep the game fresh, but I still like to stick with what keeps me alive the best, heh).

By the way, the rune I had been using to some success was Diseased Swarm. It is also pretty useful and nifty, but I do believe Pestilence will prove to be better.
---
Shadow Temple...
#7DariusFFPosted 6/6/2012 3:30:03 PM
I use the mana regen one myself. Wonderful source of mana especially on big packs.