2h vs 1h + offhand for wizard?

#1EkushiriaPosted 6/6/2012 5:19:22 PM
Finally got some money to buy a new weapon... just wondering which is better

I mainly use arcane orb and hydra... but i heard blizzard + hydra is better? Which type of set-up is better if it is true that blizzard/hydra is better
---
Hi.
#2NeoSamuelPosted 6/6/2012 5:20:30 PM
I use a 1h and offhand on my wizard. I never use blizzard thou, but Hydra gets plenty of use.
---
Im Black Mage. I cast spells that make people fall down.
#3SirStivPosted 6/6/2012 5:22:13 PM
Do the math and see if your current setup of 1h +OH is better or worse than your 2h.

Levelling up you'll use a 2h in some instances because the damage is increased substantially...

but closer to 60 you may want a powerful 1h + OH with a gem slot aswell or regen stat...

All depends what your after...

I personally use venom hydra.. has the best range imo... frost seems pissy but it might b okay if you keep getting raped close range
---
Aussie Gamer: Diablo I.D: Stiv#6515
#4SirStivPosted 6/6/2012 5:23:31 PM
^Venom is easier to kite with
---
Aussie Gamer: Diablo I.D: Stiv#6515
#5PsyborgasmPosted 6/6/2012 5:24:50 PM
I use a 2hander (1400 DPS). I switched from a 1050DPS 1hander + 200-300 damage 9% crit chance source. I find that having harder hits is much more useful then faster hits. Since the cost of Arcane Orb doesn't change, Doing 300K for 3 blasts vs 150K (1hander + off-hand) seems to make more sense to me.
#6monkmithPosted 6/6/2012 5:25:43 PM
SirStiv posted...
Do the math and see if your current setup of 1h +OH is better or worse than your 2h.

Levelling up you'll use a 2h in some instances because the damage is increased substantially...

but closer to 60 you may want a powerful 1h + OH with a gem slot aswell or regen stat...

All depends what your after...

I personally use venom hydra.. has the best range imo... frost seems pissy but it might b okay if you keep getting raped close range

you don't just compare the dps stat? by chance can you walk me through the math to compare the two? or suggest where i could look.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#7ProzacIsBackPosted 6/6/2012 5:26:28 PM
They both have their merits. Elite-geared, 1H is better. If you're broke(you seem to be), 2H is better.

If your attack speed is crappy, Blizzard and Hydra are comparatively good. If your attack speed if fast, Magic Missile and Arcane Orb are comparatively good.
---
Prozac is a dick.
But he's a great player. He's like the Kanye West of GameFAQs, if Kanye had talent.
#8craziii3Posted 6/6/2012 5:30:07 PM
get wep with as high of a dmg as you can get and get increased attack speed mods. it isn't just dps. you want the wep that gives you the highest dmg output per cast of your spells. this is true for all classes.
---
insert: something clever!!!
#9SlaynPosted 6/6/2012 5:34:39 PM
I think the difference is with a wand it will be easier to kite with, because you will cast faster. You will also do less damage with each spell, but shoot the spells out faster to compensate, so the damage per second increases, but the damage per arcane spent decreases. This means you have to use a high damage signature spell to compensate. I use magic missiles charged blast because of the 144% spell damage, or whatever it is. So I do a TON of upfront damage with arcane orbs, then switch to MM while recharging, then back to arcane orbs at full.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acRS!YXU!aYaZ

This is my favorite build, all three spells are arcane, so they proc the slow passive, which is very nice. The hydra is especially good at this, it does a ton of AOE damage and snares everything in sight. You can then add either familiar for more dps, or 1-2 defensive spells diamond skin, energy armor, mirror image, teleport. I don't personally like Blizzard, I think the DPS is horrible and the snare isn't nearly as consistant as Hydra, which does huuuuge damage over time for such a small arcane cost, and it pretty much is an auto hit spell.

What I am going to work on later is a crit build, utilizing the +arcane power on crit, as well as I have seen properties to add crit% to arcane orbs specifically on offhand sources. This build DEFINETELY uses a signature spell though, blizzard builds usually do not, but like I said, the upfront damage is a lot, and usually I run around afterwards regenning AP with the passive, and then just firing off MM. You can also use seeker, because it will rarely miss and you can shoot around corners, for only a little less damage.
#10ProzacIsBackPosted 6/6/2012 5:36:24 PM
Psyborgasm posted...
I use a 2hander (1400 DPS). I switched from a 1050DPS 1hander + 200-300 damage 9% crit chance source. I find that having harder hits is much more useful then faster hits. Since the cost of Arcane Orb doesn't change, Doing 300K for 3 blasts vs 150K (1hander + off-hand) seems to make more sense to me.

200-300 w/ 9% crit isn't particularly a great offhand.

It's good, but it's not 1400dps caliber. I got my 100-400 w/ 8.5% crit for ~200k.

The entire point of using an offhand, is that you have room for more modifiers.

An example of a 1400dps-caliber offhand:

100-400dmg
70 int
8% crit
+10 max arcane
+8 arcane on crit
---
Prozac is a dick.
But he's a great player. He's like the Kanye West of GameFAQs, if Kanye had talent.