story so far: summary from Diablo 1 to diablo 3 *spoilers*

#1AmagiYukikoPosted 10/16/2011 12:55:47 PM
*spoilers*

Diablo 1: warrior comes to town after hearing about a monster under the church. Fought his way deeper and discovers hell. That's where he found the monster Diablo and killed him. After that he (stupidly) shove the red rock from Diablo into his forehead.

Diablo 2: warrior becomes corrupted from the red rock and frees diablo's demon brothers. He then became diablo. A hero comes along, kills his demon brothers and finally, kills Diablo.

Diablo 2 LOD: another one of Diablo's brother suddenly pops out in this expansion. So the hero is tasked to kill him. Hero suceeds and the angel congratulates him. And then everyone live happily ever after. The end.

Diablo 3: hero goes mad from killing too much monsters in LOD and thus, we have diablo 3.

Its been a long time since I've played Diablo. Is this correct? Feel free to add on your inputs :)
#2julbull73Posted 10/16/2011 1:16:32 PM
you overly simplified and apparently lost the point of the entire story of Diablo, a struggle against demonic forces both physically as well as spiritually. Heck even what I corrected below skips over other MAJOR details of just how invasive the big 3 are and how much control they had over Sanctuary all along!

So I assume your trolling. Either way, more accurate summary below.

D1: Tristram starts to tear itself apart as a corrupt bishop kidnaps the kings son. Multiple heroes show up to attempt to save the kingdom. It's discovered the demon causing the trouble was the exiled supreme ruler of Hell. The warrior survives and realizes the only way to attempt to stop this from happening is to try and contain Diablo in himself. As there is no other way to eliminate the soul stone Diablo is trapped in.

D2: The warrior realizes he was not strong enough as neither were his companions, all 3 succumb to Diablo's influence and perform his bidding. Diablo starts to manipulate the formerly superior warrior. Heroes attempt to stop him as his corruption starts to spread throughout the world. Diablo is succesful in freeing his two brothers and allowing multiple minor demons to assist him (who supposedly overthrew and exiled his Diablo and his brothers from hell). Furthermore it turns out the soul stones and the exile were all manipulated by Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal! Mephisto and Diablo are slain (although you can't permanently kill a demon) and their gateway to Sanctuary destroyed thanks to Tyrael (a head angel) revealing the secrets. Baal's where abouts are unknown.

D2 LoD: Turns out Diablo and Mephisto either a.)lured the heroes away from Baal or b.) Baal has ulterior motives and abandons his brother. In the end, Baal succeeds and corrupts the world stone, an ancient monument whose powers are unknown. Tyrael is forced to destroy the worldstone. The entire world of sanctuary braces for the invasion from Hell.

D3: 10 years have passed, there was no invasion. No indications of former heroes going insane/being possessed, but it is likely. Also this story may ret con D1, but just a rumor at this point and expand on just why Baal abandoned his brothers. A massive comet/meteor is headed towards Sanctuary and foul doings start up again. The rest would require playing the game or at least the Beta....
#3BiurfePosted 10/16/2011 4:26:28 PM
julbull73 posted...
The rest would require playing the game or at least the Beta....

let me try to help

*ahem*
*SPOILERS*

While the beta skips an early part of act 1, it seems the new heroes are drawn towards the fallen star for their own motives at first, they reach a town besieged by undead (I forget the name).
Inside, the heroes meet with Deckard Cain's niece which begs them to seek out her uncle.
As the last of the Horadrim, it seems Cain couldnt resist investigating the fallen star on his own, and ventured deep into old tristram cathedral, which is around where the star had fallen.

The hero finds Deckard Cain fleeing from none other than the Skeleton king himself, he is saved by the hero and taken to New tristram.
Cain then explains how the energies from the fallen star must have woken up the Skeleton King Leoric from his slumber, and must be put back to sleep.

So the heroes travel deep into the old tristram crypts to slay the skeleton king, Leoric, who regained much of his former powers, the battle is drawn out, as Leoric constantly summons ancient servants to his aid, until he is finally laid to rest, for the third time...

YOU HAVE DEFEATED THE DIABLO 3 BETA !!!
*END SPOILERS*
#4TimbermawPosted 10/16/2011 5:38:37 PM
julbull73 posted...
Tyrael is forced to destroy the worldstone. The entire world of sanctuary braces for the invasion from Hell.

No, he destroyed the worldstone to keep the forces from hell from invading.
---
It sounds like... a huge, gargantuan, swollen, bloated mushroom! Well, good hunting, I suppose.
#5julbull73Posted 10/16/2011 7:37:16 PM
Timbermaw posted...
julbull73 posted...
Tyrael is forced to destroy the worldstone. The entire world of sanctuary braces for the invasion from Hell.

No, he destroyed the worldstone to keep the forces from hell from invading.

Actually that was never stated. We assumed that's why he destroyed it. Could've been for any number of reasons. Including preventing baal gaining some cosmic power.
#6Major GamerPosted 10/16/2011 8:05:04 PM
Tyrael destroyed the worldstone because it was corrupted by Baal. He flat out says that.
---
Can excessive stupidity be a valid reason for moderation?
http://backloggery.com/majorgamer
#7julbull73Posted 10/17/2011 4:11:23 AM
Yes it was corrupted, but we don't why that mattered.

Would it allow the invasion of hell?
Was it some ultimate power?
Was it where the unicorns with rainbow powers was stored?

There's a lot of reasons for it to be destroyed due to its corruption. The actual reason though is never explained.
#8TimbermawPosted 10/17/2011 6:31:05 AM
http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Tyrael
Act V dialogue:

I am impressed, mortal. You have overcome the greatest challenge this world has ever faced and defeated the last of the Prime Evils. However, we are too late to save the Worldstone. Baal's destructive touch has corrupted it completely.

Given enough time, the Worldstone's energies will drain away and the barriers between the worlds will shatter -- the powers of Hell will flood into this...Sanctuary...and eradicate your people and everything you've labored to build.

Therefore, I must destroy the corrupted Worldstone before the powers of Hell take root. This act will change your world forever -- with consequences even I cannot foresee. However, it is the only way to ensure mankind's survival.

Go now, mortal. I have opened a portal that will lead you to safety.

May the Eternal Light shine upon you and your descendants for what you've done this day. The continued survival of mankind is your legacy! Above all else, you have earned a rest from this endless battle.

If this is not enough for you i'll lay this discussion to rest
---
It sounds like... a huge, gargantuan, swollen, bloated mushroom! Well, good hunting, I suppose.
#9julbull73Posted 10/17/2011 7:44:45 AM
I didn't recall that dialogue. I stand corrected. Thank you.
#10MrSandman666Posted 10/17/2011 7:54:05 AM
Timbermaw posted...
http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Tyrael
Act V dialogue:

I am impressed, mortal. You have overcome the greatest challenge this world has ever faced and defeated the last of the Prime Evils. However, we are too late to save the Worldstone. Baal's destructive touch has corrupted it completely.

Given enough time, the Worldstone's energies will drain away and the barriers between the worlds will shatter -- the powers of Hell will flood into this...Sanctuary...and eradicate your people and everything you've labored to build.

Therefore, I must destroy the corrupted Worldstone before the powers of Hell take root. This act will change your world forever -- with consequences even I cannot foresee. However, it is the only way to ensure mankind's survival.

Go now, mortal. I have opened a portal that will lead you to safety.

May the Eternal Light shine upon you and your descendants for what you've done this day. The continued survival of mankind is your legacy! Above all else, you have earned a rest from this endless battle.

If this is not enough for you i'll lay this discussion to rest

WTF just reading this makes me want to play D2 all over again. such an amazing game.
---
You're not special. Not in the way you're thinking you are anyway.