Why complain about online only?

#101JamieK1981Posted 5/1/2012 5:14:40 AM
most of the time, its because they can't pirate it.
#102shawnwillPosted 5/1/2012 5:41:15 AM
I have never seen so many ***** in one place.
---
"I hear," he says in his old South whisper, "the water in Arkansas is very hard."
#103SeThelloSomaPosted 5/1/2012 5:56:07 AM
whitelytning
Posted 4/28/2012 9:07:03 AM
message detail From: Imperatorzed | #006
It's annoying mostly because this is their way of forcing people to be confronted with the RMAH.

Because...
They force you to buy items on it?
They force you to sell items on it?
They don't offer a game gold AH?

LOL this person doesnt understand advertising. You will be constantly around the RMAH whether you like it or not.

While you are not forced to use it, the option is always there.

Just found a rare item you dont need? "Hmm might as well put it on the RMAH" , then Blizzard gets 10$ for registration for the RMAH, 1$ to put the item up and then takes a fee if you cash out your balance.

Online only is obviously a forced advertising gimic used to maximize the profits for the RMAH. If you defend bad decisions a company makes its called fanboyism.
#104kingofjamaicaPosted 5/1/2012 5:58:29 AM
When only about 30% of the US has broadband access, releasing games that require a constant broadband connection in the US is kind of a stupid idea.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#105kingofjamaicaPosted 5/1/2012 6:04:37 AM
Mocking Crow posted...
Most of the US citizen dont live in the rural areas, and even then, Ive posted plenty(previous topics) of ISP information and carriers such as Sprint, AT&T, Verizon and so forth, on how much of the US is covered by 3g. You can in fact go to their website and use a tool to see if an area has 3g. I grew up around technology, because my mom, dad, as well as my step dad all work for Sprint. I very damn well know what im talking about.

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that 3G speeds are ******* terrible, and the latency on them is unacceptably bad(in the 300-600ms range). Not only that, 3G plans are expensive, and come with draconian bandwidth caps(like 2GB/month).

A 3G connection CANNOT support a game like Diablo III. 4G? Maybe, but the latency is still pretty damn high on that too.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#106SeThelloSomaPosted 5/1/2012 6:39:18 AM
With all the topics about online only it could easily exceed 3 or 4, 500 topics...

Im just glad more people are realizing how online only is a money grab by blizzard
#107BelgarathGFRPGPosted 5/1/2012 7:07:38 AM
kingofjamaica posted...
When only about 30% of the US has broadband access, releasing games that require a constant broadband connection in the US is kind of a stupid idea.

Try 60% and that's of 2010.
#108Mocking CrowPosted 5/1/2012 7:38:40 AM
kingofjamaica posted...
Mocking Crow posted...
Most of the US citizen dont live in the rural areas, and even then, Ive posted plenty(previous topics) of ISP information and carriers such as Sprint, AT&T, Verizon and so forth, on how much of the US is covered by 3g. You can in fact go to their website and use a tool to see if an area has 3g. I grew up around technology, because my mom, dad, as well as my step dad all work for Sprint. I very damn well know what im talking about.

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that 3G speeds are ******* terrible, and the latency on them is unacceptably bad(in the 300-600ms range). Not only that, 3G plans are expensive, and come with draconian bandwidth caps(like 2GB/month).

A 3G connection CANNOT support a game like Diablo III. 4G? Maybe, but the latency is still pretty damn high on that too.

Really? Cause my friend who played across country on 3g, and the numberous 3g topics that were on the beta would care to say otherwise.

If you knew you what YOU were talking about, youd know D3 cuts back A LOT on the latency due to "new" protocols for the server and also because of that, requires very little bandwidth. What it does, is encrypts the players actions to get sent to the server where it then checks to make sure you did things... "legally" and continues to let you play, theres no more telling the server what you "WANT," and waiting for the server to come back telling you what happened. You simply tell the server what happened and it verifies it, streamlining latency issues by quite a big curve.

As for costs, youre looking at $35-45 extra for at least two carriers that I know of OR can go with pay-per use which could be cheaper if you only use it for D3 while on the road, at a vacation home etc. The cost is more, yea, but for people who have no internet(which you people play off as being such a huge amount of gamers,) that is more than justified since youre not paying for internet to begin with. If youre gonna argue that "poor people" cant play because they cant afford internet, well the ****, they have bigger concerns than playing d3, now dont they?

2g Bandwidth caps...? well dont roll with AT&T is my first suggestion on the matter. Sprint has I think 5g caps for the $30 and anyone using their phone to tether is gonna have to prioritize what they do on their mobile server. If you waste your monthly cap on streaming a bunch of Daniel Tosh videos, then thats your ****ing choice.

Do you want Blizzard to apologize for their right to defend their property from ******** which happens to be an inconvenience for a select few to use their property?
---
Normal was defined by an arrogant or closed minded man who knew too little.
#109kingofjamaicaPosted 5/1/2012 7:49:10 AM(edited)
BelgarathGFRPG posted...
Try 60% and that's of 2010.

A lot of that "broadband" is crap that runs in the range of 128kbps-512kbps. That's basically not broadband, though given the correct provider can have low latency. My connection back home in Minnesota is 512kbps(I now live in South Dakota with 30mbps), and I frequently got better pings than people on cable internet. 512kbps is basically the minimum for online gaming though, and most plans that offer that speed are high latency as well.

As for 3G being suitable for gaming, no, just no. The best 3G connections will have the bandwidth available, but the latency is just so damn high that it's basically impossible to do any real online gaming with it. Sure, MMOs work fine, but for an action game like D3 I can't see it working well at all.

Once they get all the kinks ironed out and get their latencies down, then yeah, it would be a viable alternative, as it stands now though, it's just not good enough. Also, there aren't very many companies that offer unlimited 3G(I have it on my Verizon plan, but I got it before the policy change), and those that do offer it, it's extremely limited(usually only to cities where proper internet is already available), or the quality sucks worse than the capped plans out there.
---
#110MercilessSpamPosted 5/1/2012 8:22:37 AM
If you're gonna post statistics to prove your points you gotta give us the source or it's meaningless. I think that "defense against pirates" argument is totally stupid...if you stand by this, then do we get to have offline mode when the pirates managed to do it anyway?

There are other ways to go about fighting pirating, but they require alot of time/money/effort on blizzards part. Sadly the way I see it, is eventually ALL games will have a cash shop or RMAH....the reason being that it then doesn't matter how many people pirate games, since the main income is off the item shops/rmahs.

Saying your gonna stop people from pirating is a pipedream right up there with "killing all the terrorists" and "stopping illegal drug use"...sounds pretty but literally impossible with the way we handle it. Ultimately it comes down to how many people are willing to skip Diablo 3 due to lack of offline mode. If blizz takes a big enough hit in the coinpurse they will get the message. I just don't think there are that many people who feel that strongly about it.