Combination Strike Build?

#1MorgasaurusPosted 5/1/2012 10:28:27 AM
The monk has a passive ability called Combination Strike which I plan on taking advantage of at level 50 or at least trying it out. Since it will unlock in mid-hell it is very likely that such a build will leave the monk without a lot of survivability, however with all the damage buffs from the build, s/he may not need it.

Combination Strike (CS) - Each different Spirit Generator ability you use increases your damage by 8% for 3 seconds.

The idea is to take this passive skill along with all four spirit generators, Mantra of Conviction, and Sweeping Wind.

When met with a slew of monsters, if spirit is initially full activate Sweeping Wind before going in, then turn on Mantra of Conviction with overawe before alternating each spirit generator to stack up 32% extra damage. Since this build does not have a usual spirit dump, extra spirit can be used to refresh Sweeping Wind or reapply overawe from Conviction. Additional damage buffs come from Foresight rune on Deadly Reach, Blade storm from Sweeping Wind, and Blazing Fists from Way of the Hundred Fists. In an extended fight, all of these buffs will be stacked up within seconds of starting the fight producing a massive amount of DPS. A lull in the fight would cause the CS buffs to fall off, but they can be refreshing almost immediately. The other buffs have a sufficiently long duration so as to not fall off that easy.

AoE damage comes from Thunderclap on Fists of Thunder. This also allows you to teleport around as necessary. The teleport seems to have a short ICD, but when alternating spirit generators, you can take advantage of this fairly effectively.

The passives chosen are Resolve for some semblance of defensiveness and Near Death Experience for survivability. In case the build is effective enough at not dying on it's own, the latter can be swapped out. CS is a given. Resolve can be swapped for Seize the Initiative since the latter obviously scales better with gear and is always in effect (versus the former being an applied debuff.)

Link to the build follows.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#abWUki!gTZ!acaZaZ

tl;dr Combination Strike build stacks buffs/debuffs for massive damage but possibly lacks survivability. Viable or not?

Discuss.
---
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
- Matthew 16:26
#2lderivedxPosted 5/1/2012 10:42:30 AM
You'll be hitting a lot of keys.

Obviously, viability will depend a lot on how quickly you can kill monsters and that in part depends on how this CS skill works. Say you use skill A and you get the buff. If you use skill A again before the 3 seconds expires, does it reset that 3 seconds? If it resets, you could just chain 1 2 3 4 1 2... (or rather LM RM 1 2 LM RM...)

Additionally, (I'm not sure of attack speeds) is 4 attacks in 3 seconds or less a reasonable attack speed? If you can't get all 4 in within 3 seconds, you're losing out on damage.

I'm not sure this will be viable outside of a party.

Maybe by switching two of the generators for a survival skill and a spirit spender would be better. You're not missing out on THAT much damage.
---
what do you expect from a gun (DMR) that has a krazy-straw for a barrel? - irishman5705
GT: i derive dx
#3captainsquallyPosted 5/1/2012 11:06:13 AM
lderivedx posted...
You'll be hitting a lot of keys.

Obviously, viability will depend a lot on how quickly you can kill monsters and that in part depends on how this CS skill works. Say you use skill A and you get the buff. If you use skill A again before the 3 seconds expires, does it reset that 3 seconds? If it resets, you could just chain 1 2 3 4 1 2... (or rather LM RM 1 2 LM RM...)

Additionally, (I'm not sure of attack speeds) is 4 attacks in 3 seconds or less a reasonable attack speed? If you can't get all 4 in within 3 seconds, you're losing out on damage.

I'm not sure this will be viable outside of a party.

Maybe by switching two of the generators for a survival skill and a spirit spender would be better. You're not missing out on THAT much damage.

I like the idea of the original build posted but this the above is a lot more reasonable. Trying to fit in all of the spirit generators in 3 seconds may be a bit of a stretch, plus I think you might end up gimping yourself by not taking a reliable spirit dump. Losing out on additional survivability may wind up being a big no-no in Hell, too. We will just have to see.

I think Blizzard probably had in mind bringing along a couple spirit generators and performing combos, four might be a stretch.

Not that that will stop me from trying something like this myself, but if we are talking "will it work" my guess is it will end up being a little gimped.
---
http://flashyreview.com
Unbiased, Gaming news and views
#4Morgasaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2012 5:02:17 PM
A lot of my idea depends on the mechanics of the buff working a certain way.

Either there's a stacking buff and using a distinct spirit generator adds to the stack and refreshes the duration of the overall buff or each spirit generator creates its own buff. The former allows you to maintain the full 32% rather easily, but the latter would most likely mean replacing two of the generators as mentioned.

In the latter case one should build up spirit and the buff then spirit dump while both buffs are active rinse and repeat.

Assuming some variant of this build is viable, it will have a higher "skill cap" than your typical brainless non-elective build. Such a thing cannot be ignored since if the probability of messing up the rotation increases, then your expected DPS might be lower than an easier build with lower maximum DPS under optimal rotation. However, I see no reason such a probability cannot be taken down to zero as it was in WoW DPS rotations. It's not like you're trying to hit an SSBM powershield window.
---
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
#5RocketdotPosted 5/1/2012 5:14:43 PM(edited)
Here's what I would do (just increased survivability):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#abWUki!gUZ!acZZaZ

Though I would probably drop hundred fists. The only attack useful with that one is the 2nd strike which hits 7 times. Which gives you 7 opportunities to hit a crit. If you have high enough crit chance I suppose it could be worth it. Or perhaps go with fists of fury rune.

Though it looks pretty good and definitely fun with all the combo attacks.
#6lderivedxPosted 5/1/2012 9:15:05 PM
You'll be hitting about 150-200% damage, depending on the attack. I'm not sure that'll be enough.
---
Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
GT: i derive dx
#7Morgasaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 1:53:50 AM
Yeah One With Everything seems really awesome. I know in D2 there were certain items (Spire of Lazarus comes to mind) that raised only one resistance through the roof, but it was immensely more difficult to itemize around maxing all resists especially in hell. In any case I can't wait to try this out.
---
#8SadeikoPosted 5/3/2012 4:08:07 AM
This build overall enforces crit heavy play so I would drop near death and take either sixth sense or seize the initiative, whichever is more mathematically sound at the time.

Although harder to quantify we can all agree that 30% of your crit chance(lets say 24% for giggles) meaning 7.2% more dodge rate. Can save you a lot more often than every 90 seconds,
---
"I like your christ. I do not like your christians, they are not like your christ" -- Ghandi
#9ExplosPlanktonPosted 5/3/2012 5:26:24 AM
It's an interesting build that Ive considered but I dont think its going to end up being all that viable. It was already possible in the beta to peform close to 3 attacks per second and at that speed I found it was quite difficult to use 3-4 generators optimally (its much easier to spam 1 or 2). At the very least you'd need to use a gaming mouse /w macros to execute this build correctly. And even if a 3-4 spirit generator build does end up being the best in terms of dps, I think inferno will be more about survivability if its as hard as the developers are promising....and in that case I think using 1-2 generators so u have more room for defensive abilities (breath of heaven, mantra of conviction /w reclamation rune, etc.) will be more optimal.
#10SlinksAndGunsPosted 5/3/2012 7:04:57 AM
This is the combination strike build that I've created. It's a bit rounded.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aUXThV!gfW!aYbcbc

The set works together so that my monk can stack damage bonuses, crowd control, and heal/buff party members while avoiding attacks at all costs.