Signing up for Mobile Alerts is mandatory if you want to cash out on RMAH

#1IcewitchPosted 5/1/2012 12:53:24 PM
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/auction-house/how-to#security

Mobile Alerts

Battle.netís Mobile Alerts SMS authentication service will occasionally send a text message to your mobile phone containing a code youíll need to enter to verify your identity. You will be required to sign up for the Mobile Alerts service in order to use PayPal to buy or sell items in Diablo IIIís real-money auction house.

This sucks.
---
And she moved like ice
She was cruel and blue like ice
#2FungumPosted 5/1/2012 12:54:53 PM
I don't have a cell phone, oh well.

On the plus side, that means all the potential money I may get from the RMAH can be spent on the inevitable expansions.
#3CidHighwindFF7Posted 5/1/2012 12:55:38 PM
How do you send/receive text messages without a cell phone?
---
"Hold on to your britches, and don't piss in em'!"-Cid Highwind
"...an undying shadow in the world of lights" -Grey Fox
#4GogglesFrogPosted 5/1/2012 12:56:13 PM
Yeah...terrible.
---
Isaiah 55:8 - "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the LORD."
#5Icewitch(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2012 12:58:08 PM
CidHighwindFF7 posted...
How do you send/receive text messages without a cell phone?

As far as I know, you can't... basically you have to have a SMS enabled phone and you have to be willing to give the number to Blizzard if you want to make any money at all

This is stupid, especially considering they didn't even announce or release the Mobile Alerts feature until like a month ago. Just a random, 2-weeks-from-release, "surprise, you gotta sign up for this too"
---
And she moved like ice
#6Shale0Posted 5/1/2012 1:11:43 PM
I know it's possible to send/receive SMS messages without an associated cell phone. Googling it turns up a lot of scammy-looking sites, though, so more research is probably in order.
---
It's a man's life in the British Dental Association!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/iraq/casualties/facesofthefallen.htm
#7Icewitch(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2012 1:14:31 PM
Shale0 posted...
I know it's possible to send/receive SMS messages without an associated cell phone. Googling it turns up a lot of scammy-looking sites, though, so more research is probably in order.

I'd be interested in this if you find out anything more.

I only use a land line. I did have an iPhone for a few months when they first came out (I bought into the Apple hype) but it was almost useless so I just sold it. Haven't looked back since but signing up for another smartphone just to sell on D3 seems like a huge investment that probably won't pay off at all.

I hope there's some other way I can receive texts...
---
And she moved like ice
#8craziii3Posted 5/1/2012 1:17:43 PM
ha :P no more scams through the ah then :P I guess all the scamming will be through unsecured 3rd party sites. gl to the users :PPP
---
insert: something clever!!!
#9darkcougPosted 5/1/2012 1:19:27 PM
I HIGHLY suggest that you would want to set them up anyway. I don't think any of you should trust the security controls of Blizzard as much as your bank.
#10Paulf001Posted 5/1/2012 1:20:38 PM
This is such garbage. I do not own a cell phone. I wouldn't ever want to buy one my home phone works just fine. Cell phones too expensive and have high monthly service charges in my opinion.

So basically I can't get my money for the stuff I sell because I don't own a cell phone. GG blizzard.

Why couldn't they just make you buy one of them authenticator things I would be ok with doing that.