A New Breed - The Play For Profit Player

#11lderivedxPosted 5/2/2012 11:57:36 AM
People seriously believe that they'll make significant money off the RMAH?

All I see are jokes and people saying other people believe they'll make significant money off the RMAH.
---
I was a Captain Grade 3 back in Halo 3 and every other incredibly good player out there who didnt hack was at least an officer-Lawfish66
#12AkaimizuPosted 5/2/2012 12:03:54 PM(edited)
Hey. I would say it could be reasonable that some will get a bit of money back from their investment of buying the game in the first place. Heck, if you're lucky, you may come away even in the RM department. That is, get back what you paid for the game.

Still, a little extra money isn't bad. A dollar here, a few dollars there. Requires a lot less talent than making a $.99 game for an App Store, so obviously noone's expecting riches here.

It's not a bad idea, though, given the D2 activity.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#13Renim05Posted 5/2/2012 12:03:55 PM
xenosaga123 posted...
dmaz2 posted...
The term gamers was once reserved for gamblers, so really gaming for profit is nothing new.

it is still fairly new for dungeon crawlers and the like.

It used to be underground market, but now Blizzard basically legalized it like if a country's government would legalize selling drugs, do you know how many more people would do it?

well not the same analogy, but the relation is that RMAH does harm to communities and corrupts the reason people play this when it isn't supposed to be about making money.

And since Blizzard now believes the franchise is all about the multiplayer (when it wasn't just that.) they even basically give away the fact they are banking everything on the RMAH, even to sacrifice things that shouldn't be sacrificed.

Blizzard North wouldn't have approved of this.

Uh... lol?

Blizzard has almost always been about multiplayer. Remember Diablo and the birth of Battle.net? If I remember correctly, Warcraft 1 and 2 both contained possible LAN/Online support, but it was crap because tech wasn't as advanced yet and Blizzard hadn't started working on Battle.net

Also, as for the RMAH, Blizzard is basically doing what people already did. Blizzard figures they should at least get a cut of the cash and provide players with a more legitimate method of doing things that leave out the middleman.

The entire idea of the RMAH will also impact the gold farmers, since everyone can do what the gold farmers are doing.

The only time I would be upset at a system like this is if Blizzard offered the best gear for a price or if Blizzard was the one doing the sales exclusively for advantages, but this system clearly makes players a part of the system.

I'm going to be honest here: I don't think anyone will be really playing this game for money. I think it will be more along the lines of players using it to get rid of useful items they find that they don't need.

However, it will be interesting to see how state and federal taxes will account into this system.
#14mrchidesPosted 5/2/2012 12:08:26 PM
The motto.

It's all about the money, money, money,
We need your money, money, money.
We just wanna make the world ours,
Don't forget about the price tag.
#15reclinemusicPosted 5/2/2012 12:16:10 PM
Get that money
dolla dolla billz ya'll
---
Computer stats!
#16MercilessSpamPosted 5/2/2012 12:20:10 PM
xenosaga123 posted...
dmaz2 posted...
The term gamers was once reserved for gamblers, so really gaming for profit is nothing new.

it is still fairly new for dungeon crawlers and the like.

It used to be underground market, but now Blizzard basically legalized it like if a country's government would legalize selling drugs, do you know how many more people would do it?

well not the same analogy, but the relation is that RMAH does harm to communities and corrupts the reason people play this when it isn't supposed to be about making money.

And since Blizzard now believes the franchise is all about the multiplayer (when it wasn't just that.) they even basically give away the fact they are banking everything on the RMAH, even to sacrifice things that shouldn't be sacrificed.

Blizzard North wouldn't have approved of this.

Sorry I know this is a bit off-topic and all but since you use this example...I don't know about you guys but if tommorow the government declared heroin legal...I still wouldn't shoot up...would you? Is the only thing preventing you from ruining your life and health the fact that govnerment says it's not allowed?

If drugs being illegal actually stops drug use then why do incarceration rates continue to rise for NON-VIOLENT drug offenders? Furthermore putting them in prison and making them have a record effectivley ruins the rest of their life, and does nothing to fix their problem of addiction. I belive if society as a whole was more accepting of this as a personal problem and not a crime we would see more people not do drugs or be able to recover from addiction.

What making drugs legal would do is take the business off of the streets where people get shot/robbed/given poison.....and put it into the hands of legitimate business owners who pay taxes and are required to follow safety protocols.

So all that bein said, Blizzard doing what they did is very similar. They realized no amount of sueing or prosecution was gonna solve the problem of gold/items sellers. So they "legalized" it and now they benefit with more profit, which in turn benefits us the consumer with a better product.
#17ValedictorianXDPosted 5/2/2012 12:26:27 PM
I don't see how this is new. If you played Diablo 2 since it started, you would know it has been going on for at least a decade. Not sure about Ultima (never played it) but I know this isn't new. I made about 20k on an item shop within a 2 year period (and this is when d2legit, d2items and lewt were fighting it out in 02'). I mean, I eventually got overrun because I couldn't get my personal bot army to get enough supplies and I was a nobody compared to the others but I did well, nonetheless.

Back on topic: This isn't a new breed, by any means. The suckers will be peddling their wares on the auction house. Anybody actually looking to make a buck will start up an item shop...and I have a good feeling that the item shops I already mentioned have a good head start.
---
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- (take out space here) prn1/523575_2761520610194_1623183756_ (also here) 31907867_876768153_n.jpg
#18IchabodCraniumPosted 5/2/2012 12:32:00 PM(edited)
The idea of playing for profit is ludicrous. Only the rarest of items will sell for more than a pittance, and the professional farmers in China playing 18 hours a day will find and list far more of them than you, for a lot less than you.

The RMAH will affect my gameplay very little. I'll only use it should I win the RNG lottery and find an item worth something. Then I'll sell it to the pay-to-win types and get a couple bucks toward my WoW sub or something.

Edit: ludicrous unless you bot or dupe, I suppose, in which case I'd call it more hacking for profit than playing for profit.
---
MMOs: Games that take the world's most socially inept people and expect them to cooperate.
#19KushuPosted 5/2/2012 12:33:11 PM(edited)
A better question might be: What about the players who play the AH exclusively?

Wasn't there a character on WOW for a long time called "Auctioneer" or "Auctionhaus" or something like that, who basically RAN the AH. Like, on EVERY server? Setting the prices he wanted for items, and making millions upon millions of gold because...well, he set the base for the economy of the game for months.

Similar deal, but with actual money. Get bazillions of gold, keep the pretty stuff off the Gold ah and keep it on the RMah. Thus forcing players to play YOUR game.

Remember, we're talking 0.01% drop rates (Kill that boss 10,000 times to possibly get ONE) and people with the attention span of the average commercial break.

So...I buy it for 8. Now, either farm it yourself, or give me 12 bucks.
#20ValedictorianXDPosted 5/2/2012 12:34:42 PM
IchabodCranium posted...
The idea of playing for profit is ludicrous. Only the rarest of items will sell for more than a pittance, and the professional farmers in China playing 18 hours a day will find and list far more of them than you, for a lot less than you.

The RMAH will affect my gameplay very little. I'll only use it should I win the RNG lottery and find an item worth something. Then I'll sell it to the pay-to-win types and get a couple bucks toward my WoW sub or something.

Edit: ludicrous unless you bot or dupe, I suppose, in which case I'd call it more hacking for profit than playing for profit.

Lol. That's usually how it's done, nowadays. Trying to play legitimately and get rich is a laugh for 2 reasons. 1. China. 2. Item shops with botters. Then it just comes down to who can bot better.
---
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- (take out space here) prn1/523575_2761520610194_1623183756_ (also here) 31907867_876768153_n.jpg