How to use you equipped weapon?

#1Kermit_FriesPosted 5/15/2012 6:07:22 PM
So i just started a game as the witch doctor, I just learned the Snare move. I was able to attack enemies with my weapon before, but now that i learned snare, I cant attack with my weapon anymore. I can only shoot my blow dart, and use Snare. So, how do I attack with my equipped weapon?
#2DorotimusWitikPosted 5/15/2012 9:00:40 PM
Well, while I was playing with the Wizard, I was able to use my weapon with the right mouse button whenever I ran out of mana. Alternatively, I could use my weapon while waiting for switched skills to become available. Not sure if there is any way to use weapons when those conditions aren't true yet.
---
HEIL GRAMMAR!
#3SirGizmoPosted 5/15/2012 9:01:41 PM
There's no point in using your basic attack once you have skills to fill the slots.
---
www.YouTube.com/BleepGeekTV
New MW3 episodes every Monday/Wednesday/Friday and new AC:Revelations episodes every Tuesday/Thursday!
#4calibus11Posted 5/16/2012 12:06:39 PM
SirGizmo posted...
There's no point in using your basic attack once you have skills to fill the slots.

Can you elaborate on this...If I have Blowdart and Snare, but have a sword that has a higher damage then why shouldn't I use that...

More importantly, why can't I figure out how to swing it even though it is equipped and I am carrying the damn thing?
#5Dark_Oni12398Posted 5/16/2012 12:08:41 PM
you go back to a real dungeon crawler rpg like Diablo 2, Torchlight, PoE, Titant Quest, or hell even Diablo 1
---
Welcome to GameFAQ. Please keep you opinions too yourself, type with perfect spelling and grammar and god help you if you state something as fact.
#6NessosinPosted 5/16/2012 12:09:50 PM
calibus11 posted...
SirGizmo posted...

Can you elaborate on this...If I have Blowdart and Snare, but have a sword that has a higher damage then why shouldn't I use that...

More importantly, why can't I figure out how to swing it even though it is equipped and I am carrying the damn thing?

Skills do damage based on weapon damage. You won't do more damage by hitting them with the sword.
#7Jptremblay13Posted 5/16/2012 12:11:33 PM
Your skills's damages depend on your currently equiped weapon.
If you look in the skill description, it never says something like 100-155 damage.

It is always a % of your damage. So it's like 200% of the damage number that is written in your inventory window (left of where you equip your items)
#8xCarn4g3xPosted 5/16/2012 12:12:52 PM(edited)
Because all your skills are based on your weapon damage. Swinging your sword would do 100% weapon damage. Using the blow dart ability does 100% damage, plus an additional 40% as poison damage over time, plus it's a ranged attack. Literally no reason to use a regular melee attack.
---
Gamertag: T0tal Carn4ge
Star Craft II Bnet name: ChaosDragon # 298
#9Quill_RatPosted 5/16/2012 12:16:47 PM(edited)
Nessosin posted...
Skills do damage based on weapon damage. You won't do more damage by hitting them with the sword.

Technically, that depends on which skill you're talking about, but yes, the damage for everything you do is based on the weapon in your hand. No more doing 5k damage naked like in D2.

For your specific case, your poison dart will do 100% of your weapon damage plus 40% poison damage over 2 secs with no rune, so you're better off using that than hacking away anyway. Look here for more mechanics on how damage is calculated for your attacks:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor
---
-----
-------
#10AzureMinorPosted 5/16/2012 12:17:24 PM
Dark_Oni12398 posted...
you go back to a real dungeon crawler rpg like Diablo 2, Torchlight, PoE, Titant Quest, or hell even Diablo 1

this
---
Ob la di, ob la da.