Any idea why I might be having framerate issues?

#1ChiugaiPosted 5/16/2012 10:14:34 AM
Using a laptop, but I think the specs are decent:

Intel i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20Ghz
8GB RAM
Geforce GT 555m 2GB

I know for sure that it isn't lag/connection issues. My framerate can be fine sometimes, but in battles that aren't even that massive, it can drop to the teens, and sometimes even in town I only get 20-30 FPS. I've tried running everything on low settings and I still have framerate issues, even though when I select the "default" settings it puts most things on high. I have up to date graphics drivers from Nvidia, anything else I can do? Using Vertical Sync didn't seem to help, and unchecking the max foreground/background FPS didn't seem to help either. I have noticed however that sometimes my audio sounds funky when performing actions and becomes distorted instead of clear.
---
NBA superfan
#2AtzenkillerPosted 5/16/2012 10:23:13 AM
you've got the same setup as me, just that my cpu is clocked at 2 ghz, and the game has been running flawlessly so far on the highest settings. it stutters sometimes for less than a second but i'm assuming it's because of the servers. i assume it's a connection issue for you as well
#3Lo_ManoloPosted 5/16/2012 10:25:13 AM
I dont understand too much about computers but your PC seens fine.
So there could be one of 2 issues:

1 - its lagging. Not because of your PC but due stressed Blizzard server. Thats my case. It usually have a 0,5s delay on everything I do. My monk punches but the lightning effect only apperar after a while. Is something similar happening? If thats the case you shouldnt have anymore issues in about a week (jus speculaging here. I think in a week Blizz can have a nice fix in their servers and number of players should decrease too)

2 - your video card isnt compatible. This happens and its a total #%@. Google something like "diablo 3 not compatible cards" and you should find a list. See if your card is on that list.

Or even 3- you have both issues; or maybe 4- neither of them.
If its 4 I feel bad for you man... The only thing you could do then is contacting blizzard.
---
I play better when I'm high
#4AtzenkillerPosted 5/16/2012 10:49:02 AM
it's not the card as i have the same. at least the game didn't say anything about my hardware
#5TheMightyOakPosted 5/16/2012 10:54:37 AM
I'm having the same problem on a laptop.

Intel I7, ATI 6990, 8gig ram.

Go to BNET troubleshoooting, tons and tons of people across a vast array of comps are having this problem.

My game was fine until Spider caves where it was just randomly chopping, also seems to do it in water areas a lot. It's never a complete slowdown, just this random hiccuping that is incredibly annoying and really messes up combat flow.
#6Chiugai(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2012 3:05:56 PM
Yeah, so far it hasn't been unplayable or anything, but there is definite slow down and choppiness in the heat of battle, and sometimes even randomly in town. Running around most of the time is fine, but I'm not sure...it might just be my computer, it's been acting strange lately. I feel like it's not using the full power of my graphics card or something.
---
NBA superfan
#7pairenoidPosted 5/16/2012 3:10:40 PM
1. heat, dust
2. with my rig i max the game out but i still hiccup in town and when exploring a new area
---
[i5 2500k][haf 912][asrock z68 ex3][powercooler 6870][8gb g.skill ripjaw series][OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W][hitachi 500gb]
#8Vicious7Posted 5/16/2012 3:14:21 PM(edited)
Chiugai posted...
Yeah, so far it hasn't been unplayable or anything, but there is definite slow down and choppiness in the heat of battle, and sometimes even randomly in town. Running around most of the time is fine, but I'm not sure...it might just be my computer, it's been acting strange lately. I feel like it's not using the full power of my graphics card or something.

What's your average latency at when you're playing? Mouseover the segmented vertical green / yellow / red bar on the lower right next to your mana / hatred / rage bubble.

Something I noticed about D3 that's different from other games is it seems to do a lot more accesses to the hard drive. If your drive is fragmented or has a lot of bad clusters or just otherwise old or slow rpm's and small cache, that might be the reason why too. Whenever your game tries to access your hard drive the game stutters.
#9alienated182Posted 5/16/2012 3:24:12 PM
Did you check your power settings to make sure its "High preformance" and not balanced.
#10Chiugai(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2012 3:26:30 PM
Vicious7 posted...
Chiugai posted...

What's your average latency at when you're playing? Mouseover the segmented vertical green / yellow / red bar on the lower right next to your mana / hatred / rage bubble.

Something I noticed about D3 that's different from other games is it seems to do a lot more accesses to the hard drive. If your drive is fragmented or has a lot of bad clusters or just otherwise old or slow rpm's and small cache, that might be the reason why too. Whenever your game tries to access your hard drive the game stutters.

It might be my hard drive since I am really bad about maintaining it, plus it's almost out of space. I'll check the latency when I play next time, but I don't think lag is an issue because my girlfriend plays the game just fine from her laptop on the same wi-fi connection that I use.
---
NBA superfan