The Butcher (spoilers)

#1Dude_bagPosted 5/18/2012 1:18:51 AM
I am sure anyone and everyone who had played the original Diablo remembers their first encounter with the Demon known as the butcher, so what was reaction when you saw the Butcher reimagined in Diablo 3? A pleasant surprise or a bastardization of the creature that once haunted your nightmares?

For me it served as a reminder to how much the series had lost its original atmosphere, now perhaps I am wearing nostalgia goggles and perhaps the game was more creepy because I was just a young lad at the time but I remember the original Diablo having a much creepier and darker atmosphere with the ambient music containing the screams of tortured victims echoing throughout the cathedral and then stumbling on a room filled with the bloody and dismembered bodies of the Butchers victims and being greeted with a demonic voice "Ahh, Fresh Meat" as this demon rips into me with his cleaver killing me instantly.

I dont know what it is but I was really hoping Diablo 3 would bring back that creepy atmosphere.
#2Bigj089Posted 5/18/2012 1:20:46 AM
I just remember it being annoyingly dark. Didnt really feel like it was a "creepy" atmosphere but I DO remember my many encounters with the Butcher and hating them from how much trouble I always had with him killing me
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#3TalentedMPosted 5/18/2012 1:24:11 AM
The atmosphere is there but trust me. We are all too old to be complaining about it. We are just not scared of the dark anymore and to be honest The Butcher was pretty bad ass looking and he was pretty fun to fight.

I will gladly change somthing to something more fun than just to have it be extra dark. The game has plenty of gore and bodies and horrible horribl things happening in it but for some reason we are ignoring it. We are just too old to be afraid of the dark and our videogames.
---
PSN: TalentedM
Xbox: Consume Fetus
#4JimDandDPosted 5/18/2012 1:24:55 AM
I never played the first Diablo but the new Butcher immediately reminded me of Pudge from Dota. And yes I know Pudge was inspired by the Diablo Butcher(he even says "Ah...Fresh Meat" in Dota 2).
#5Lord of NightmaresPosted 5/18/2012 1:25:21 AM
I actually died once while fighting him due to pure carelessness as I wasn't paying attention to the floor, although I'd already gotten his HP down to about half. Managed to beat him the next time around however so yeah, he was definitely a whole lot easier this time around as compared to in D1 where he used to OHKO me more times than I could care to count. On the flipside though, he's the only major boss battle thus far where I've actually died, I'm currently up to Act III and I found the boss of II to be easier than him, so yeah.

Heck, he used to scare me so much in the first game as well as I originally couldn't figure out whether my attacks were even damaging him thanks to that weird 'Ooohhhh....' moan that he made whenever I hit him, which sounded like he was enjoying it or something. By comparison, the Skeleton King and even Diablo himself seemed a whole lot easier to beat.
#6ZenlightenedPosted 5/18/2012 1:26:13 AM
It's partially nostalgia. Games have changed. Yes, Diablo 1 and 2 had Light Radius, but it was sort of worthless. You could target enemies outside your light radius, so it didn't change much aside from just being annoyingly dark outside your circle.

As to the mention of the boss itself, the butcher in D1 could just 1 or 2 shot you if you weren't prepared. Kind of boring game mechanics. Are the more overt "gamey" mechanics better? To some, I suppose. I like the bosses as they are, and knowing I can skip them instead of farming them over and over ad nauseum is pretty awesome.
#7Dude_bag(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2012 1:36:26 AM
Zenlightened posted...
It's partially nostalgia. Games have changed. Yes, Diablo 1 and 2 had Light Radius, but it was sort of worthless. You could target enemies outside your light radius, so it didn't change much aside from just being annoyingly dark outside your circle.

As to the mention of the boss itself, the butcher in D1 could just 1 or 2 shot you if you weren't prepared. Kind of boring game mechanics. Are the more overt "gamey" mechanics better? To some, I suppose. I like the bosses as they are, and knowing I can skip them instead of farming them over and over ad nauseum is pretty awesome.

I am not complaining about the Butcher being easier to defeat however just in Diablo 3 he just seems to lack impact, in the original your encouter with the Butcher was a bit more unexpected and comes as more of a shock as well as blood stained room piled with bodies, I guess with the gore being everywhere in torture chamber in D3 it isnt so much of a shock as it has come to be expected.
#8AleinAtrydaPosted 5/18/2012 1:51:11 AM
I like how the fight with butcher plays out, but I don't like his new appearance. And anyway, did anyone defeat Ye olde butcher in any other way than closing door on him and then shooting from distance?
---
PSN: TheAreinu (BFBC2, BlazBlue, LBP, Wipeout HD)
#9Hyperion116Posted 5/18/2012 2:03:03 AM(edited)
Tbh I think it's hard to make a top down game feel scary, but there are games which capture the right atmosphere like Dark Souls. Most of the time in D3 my thoughts could basically be summed up as "oh this reminds me of that thing from WoW".
---
http://i.minus.com/inRdyhLS2uSjn.gif
#10Dude_bag(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2012 2:22:49 AM
AleinAtryda posted...
I like how the fight with butcher plays out, but I don't like his new appearance. And anyway, did anyone defeat Ye olde butcher in any other way than closing door on him and then shooting from distance?

I got him trapped in the stairwell to level 3 and took pot shots with a bow