Why does my monk's DPS go down when I equip a second weapon?

#1NsM ComatosisPosted 5/18/2012 5:37:57 PM(edited)
Gave up on my DH soloing Nightmare, so I made a monk to try something different. I'm level 10 at the moment, and my DPS using only one claw is 34.03. If I then equip an off-hand weapon, my DPS drops to ~30. I'm curious as to why that is.

Thanks.
---
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter
#2fbplayer1064Posted 5/18/2012 5:40:32 PM
I would assume it averages the damage output of the two weapons so if the second weapon is weaker you would bring down your average.
#3SenezaPosted 5/18/2012 5:40:44 PM
Huh. That is weird. If both of the weapons have the same WDPS, then the ADPS should be the same, if not better. As far as I know, equipping two weapons at the same time increases attack speed by 15%, and the passive boost to dexterity that you should get if the secondary has some +DEX on it should rocket you right past what you have right now...

The only thing I can think of is that you equipped a weapon with less damage than the one you have as your main right now, and that it's causing the off-hand strike to affect your overall DPS.
---
XBL - Seneza
#4NsM Comatosis(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2012 5:46:50 PM
Yeah, they're different weapons and the 2nd one is weaker. I guess averaging the dmg would explain the difference.

Thanks a bunch.
---
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter
#5Kyle901Posted 5/18/2012 5:47:45 PM
There's like 0 reason to go dw :(
---
---
Being bad at video games isn't a crime
#6alexman113Posted 5/18/2012 5:59:37 PM

There's like 0 reason to go dw :(

Dual wield is better if both weapons have similar dps. If one weapon is weaker than it will hurt dps because every attack alternates which weapon you swing with.
---
Gamertag/Steam/Origin - Alexman113