Monk -- to shield or not to shield?

#1JohnnyShred612Posted 5/20/2012 10:34:32 PM
Loving DW up until this point, but I'm just now entering Act 3 in Nightmare and I'm overleveled a little bit. Coasting now, but I doubt that'll last. Will I need to go shielded in Inferno?

Also... at the moment, I'm gearing almost entirely Dex/Attack Speed, but gemming almost entirely Vitality. Sound alright?
---
NFLB Fantasy League 2012
Baltimore Ravens: 6-1~~ Arizona Cardinals: 4-3
#2blakenickPosted 5/20/2012 10:49:03 PM
Yeah shield it up.

Try getting a one hander and just putting a ruby into it (the +attack option is waaay better than anything else except ridiculously high dex stats) if you haven't levelled up the jeweler then you can buy them off AH for very reasonable prices. (the mid ranged diamonds are quite cheap for the benefit you get)

For gearing I went for +attack stats as well as +dex, also going a bit for vitality and +health orbs. (using SSS grabs orbs too and provides a ridiculous amount of healing) I used the +life on helm +dex on rings and +attack on weapon.

so at the beginning of act 2 on nightmare i had around 700 attack and 850 def, def may be a little low as I hadn't had a new chest or shoulders since level 15 :/
---
It's common courtesy for a lady to swallow
If you lived here, you'd be pwned by now
#3Forte612Posted 5/21/2012 10:31:08 AM
More opinions?
---
-JohnnyShred612
#4Kannon83Posted 5/21/2012 12:39:46 PM
Shields are very useful.

Since monks have innately high dex, there base dodge would be pretty decent too. Together with a shield, most of the attacks would either miss or be blocked. Very useful in harder difficulties when you're surrounded by a ton of mobs. Now you might not do as much damage, but you'll increase your survivibility (I don't think that's a word) by quite a bit. Also, try to find a shield with a high block chance ftw.
---
I'm the guy who steals your left sock in the dryer.
#5JohnnyShred612(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2012 12:54:20 PM
I have heard from a few people that you're just as well off dual wielding with the ability to kill things faster, self-heal quicker, and a 15% increase to dodge with the passive. True/False?
---
NFLB Fantasy League 2012
Baltimore Ravens: 6-1~~ Arizona Cardinals: 4-3
#6pc_master_racePosted 5/21/2012 12:54:59 PM
doesn't matter

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aigjXQ!YUZ!YZacZb

use this be invincible<br />
---
http://i.imgur.com/88VBB.png
#7Kannon83Posted 5/21/2012 1:07:53 PM
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aegfhj!YXZ!ZZcccc

I also have a shield that has 30% to block (with is better than the potential 15% dual wielding) that also has a 65% resistance to all damage. Very happy.
---
I'm the guy who steals your left sock in the dryer.
#8DawnshadowPosted 5/21/2012 1:26:50 PM(edited)
I've actually noticed on my monk that a 1 hander and a shield with moderate to high dex will often be higher DPS than DWing. And taking the dex to armor passive makes the armor bonus from a dex shield very, very high, indeed-- right now, on my level 36 monk, I have 55% damage reduction from armor, 20% block, 26% dodge without the Lightning Flash glyph activated.

The downside? I've sort of neglected vitality and only have 1500 HP. Mantra of Healing and my innate defenses is keeping me up, but I might have to redo some gems or something soon. Being a self-healing evasion tank is sort of thrilling, though.

JohnnyShred612 posted...
I have heard from a few people that you're just as well off dual wielding with the ability to kill things faster, self-heal quicker, and a 15% increase to dodge with the passive. True/False?

Yes and no. It can be better if you have two really good weapons, but even with closely matched weapons-- less than 10 DPS difference-- I got higher DPS out of a shield.
---
'Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the Character Battle.' --MetroidSuperfan on GlaDOS' loss.
The Topic Killer since 2001
#9Hylian88Posted 5/21/2012 1:24:46 PM
Shield is pretty much your best option.
---
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the strength to do what is right in the face of it.
#10nmaharg81Posted 5/21/2012 4:15:05 PM
Before inferno it doesn't really matter. But after you need a shield.