Does this game have "timesinks" like WoW?

#1phaze_basicPosted 5/22/2012 9:46:54 PM
For those who may not understand what I'm referring to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timesink

Timesinks are why I quit WoW after the first month. Like most people, I work 40 hours a week on top of other responsibilities, limiting the amount of time available to me to play videogames. I consider myself extremely lucky to have as much free time as I do, but even so, i don't have so much that I would ever consider right-clicking on rocks for ore (and watching progress meters fill up) for any length of time to be a good use of my time. Not to mention the large chunks of time that traveling takes up. Frankly, I don't understand how WoW players are able to put up with that kind of BS without getting annoyed at it, like I do. My free time is too precious to be spent watching my character ride a griffon or holding down the W key for 5 minutes. Call me crazy, but I want to spend my videogame time on something that's actually fun.

Does this game use WoW-style timesinks? If so, I'll save my money and skip this. If not, I may have to check this game out. The idea of cooperative dungeon crawling with lootz and level-ups but without the bull**** timesinks is an intriguing one.
---
I'll believe that corporations are people when Texas executes one.
"The French don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'" - George W. Bush
#2thepwnisPosted 5/22/2012 9:48:15 PM
Nope.
#3zeik56Posted 5/22/2012 9:48:37 PM
The only "timesink" would be grinding for loot on later difficulties, but the auction house greatly mitigates even the need for that. There's no mining for ore or anything of that sort.
---
A second ant? No, no, it's his brother, avenging the death of his twin.
I'm going to follow him home.....kill his whole family.
~ Space Ghost
#4TheSchrefPosted 5/22/2012 9:49:10 PM
There is no reason to play this game constantly like WoW. There are no raids or anything so you just play on your own time. If you want to get the best gear, you can buy it with real money when the RMAH comes out or you can just enjoy the game and play when you have time.
#5capgamerPosted 5/22/2012 9:49:56 PM
There's no subscription fee in this game so they don't really have anything specifically meant to waste your time. I guess you could argue upgrading your blacksmith or farming gold or whatever but those things are hardly required to get through the game.
---
...I don't go down. - Jeod_Cripto
Bull****. Everyone goes down sometimes. - Immortal_Azrael
#6kyntrelPosted 5/22/2012 9:49:56 PM
its one of those games you could just play 30 mins to an hour at a time and make progress. you will never start doing something and be like man i gotta dedicate the next hour or so to this to finish it.

the timesink of WoW was my factor for quitting as well. it felt like having a job instead of playing a video game
---
Know who else trolls?? MY MOM!!
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/Grizzledorf/
#7L0IumadPosted 5/22/2012 9:52:23 PM
This is NOT a timesink. This game has had very little grinding, or tedious things so far. I am currently in Hell A2, and I'm having a blast.
---
who DAT? ?
#8phaze_basic(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2012 10:23:42 PM
That's cool. I never had a PC as a kid so I missed out on Diablo 2, so my first online RPG was Phantasy Star Online. I tried other MMO's once I finally got a PC, but I always kept coming back to PSO, despite it's flaws, because of it's pick-up-and-play nature and it's lack of timesinks. It would be nice to play something similar that's actually somewhat popular. It seems Phantasy Star Universe was crappy enough to pretty much kill off the franchise, and I'm tired of playing an online RPG that noone cares about.
---
#9FusionFuryXPosted 5/22/2012 10:27:36 PM
gem crafting could be considered a time sink i think
#10phaze_basic(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2012 10:36:05 PM
How bad is gem crafting?

I would not have had an issue with crafting in WoW if the game didn't make you sit and wait and watch a progress meter build up every time you crafted something.
---