Level 50+ Wizards, I need a build for Hell

#31JonSanPosted 5/28/2012 12:14:42 PM
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZiXSOm!YbW!bZaZYb

This build got me through Hell without a problem. I used Kormac as a tank, and I never looked back.

Ray of Frost will use very little Arcane Power, and with Cold Blooded Passive, it deals a ton of damage to single targets. Disintegrate with Chaos Nexus is great to eliminate large groups without any heavy hitters. When things get rough or to take out elites and champions, Archon is fantastic. Everything else is simply to boost overall DPS.

For bosses, I switch out Disintegrate for Arcane Orb with Tap the Source. This does massive damage to the boss, as does Archon's Arcane Strike and Arcane Blast. Just spamming those can wipe a boss's health out pretty quickly.

Also note that each kill with Archon adds to the timer, so if you run into a large pack of small enemies, you can max out your Archon timer to 3 minutes. I can actually make it from the first mini-boss in Act IV all the way to Izual without leaving Archon form. The trick is to kite all the little adds from the mini-boss until you can take out a big group of them before you kill the boss. This puts your timer at the max. Then just blaze through Act IV with ease. Additionally, by the time you leave Archon form, the cooldown timer will have reset.
#32WolfRisonPosted 5/28/2012 12:31:35 PM
So after some thinking and reading the numbers, I think Ray of Frost may be a very useful late game skill, for several reasons.

- Instant damage from across the screen
- Practically free to cast with cold blood
- High damage even if you can't stand still long enough to channel for long
- Enhanced by cold blooded
- If you can channel it for long, it does pretty respectable damage for almost free. I've seen it tick for over 10k on occasion.
- Slows enemies (not sure if it stacks with Blizzard)

This is the build I just start using at Act 3 Hell:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZlRPQO!fWX!bbbZZY

Mirror Image and Teleport are your "Oh ****" buttons for when running into trouble. I like them better than something like Diamond Skin or Frost Nova because those imply that something has made it within melee range, and my playstyle depends on maintaining max distance. I had Illusionist passive before, but it's not worth it because you should be able to avoid getting hit long enough to not need to reset the cooldowns. Teleport can also be used to skip past elite mobs that you don't feel you can handle, which I've done a couple times to avoid the frustration. Mirror Image works great as a decoy because it will cause mobs to stand still in one spot long enough for Blizzard and Venom Hydra to do their thing, and it also buys you time to channel Ray of Frost.

Seems to be working very nicely for my playstyle.

With Force Armor I'm at:
Level 56
3367 Armor
5551 Damage
27778 Health

Also have +12% movement speed and regenerating 803 life per second. Hell seems quite easy, but we will see how it holds up when I reach Inferno
---
This space for rent
#33AtralisPosted 5/28/2012 12:50:11 PM
For a while I was using blizzard, diamind skin (with prism), slowtime (with attack speed increase), and disintegrate (the final rune) in Act 4 hell when I was in groups.

It ends up being a good combo. If the enemies manage to get into the bubble and break your diamond skin you are still in fairly good shape because you can cast a blizzard on top of the bubble and run away (slow time + blizzard is about as snared as you can get). They are all on fairly short cool downs so you just need to stay alive until diamond skin comes up and you can rinse and repeat.

Having both blizzard and slow time (with the attack speed boost) makes you a fantastic asset to the team when it comes to snaring big groups of mobs and gives you some decent tools to use in tough fights against elites.

The biggest part of the combo is the diamond skin (with prism) plus slowtime (with attack speed boost). These abilities combine to actually give you the time to sit in a safe place on the battlefield and go nuts with disintegrate.
---
~ IN THE FUTURE there will be no black people and white people. Just robots.
#34HighOnPhazon(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2012 12:51:29 PM
I think people are overlooking the fact that Cold Blooded ONLY enhances damage from Cold skills when the enemies are frozen or chilled.

If Blizzard isn't runed to freeze targets, you're wasting that passive.
---
Mass Effect 2 - DAT ASS. Mass Effect 3 - DAT ENDING
GT: AncientToaster
#35WolfRisonPosted 5/28/2012 12:53:58 PM
I also plan to experiment with a build using Arcane Torrent + Death Blossom because that actually has the highest damage out of everything available to Wizard.

Ray of Frost = 215% weapon damage/tic
Disintegrate = 155% weapon damage/tic
Venom Hydra = 18% weapon damage per second for each acid pool
Arcane Torrent = 175% weapon damage per missile
Arcane Torrent + Death Blossom = 670% weapon damage per missile.

Only one catch...you can't target with Death Blossom. So to effectively use it, you would need some sort close range jump into the fray type of build. So any suggestions would be dandy :)
---
This space for rent
#36PhantasmplusPosted 5/28/2012 12:56:14 PM
Yeah, Death Blossom is almost worthless I find. The damage increase isn't worth it at all because whenever I use it it never hits anything. Ever.
---
I'll just have to get a full apology from you later.
RARITYCATCHME.
#37WolfRisonPosted 5/28/2012 1:01:25 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
I think people are overlooking the fact that Cold Blooded ONLY enhances damage from Cold skills when the enemies are frozen or chilled.

Oh I see. So it doesn't work with Ray of Frost either does it? Doesn't effect my opinion of Ray of Frost and I kinda viewed that as a freebie trait.
---
This space for rent
#38WolfRisonPosted 5/28/2012 1:02:01 PM
phantasmplus posted...
Yeah, Death Blossom is almost worthless I find. The damage increase isn't worth it at all because whenever I use it it never hits anything. Ever.

I was going to use it for farming purposes. Like Leeroy Jenkins style farming.
---
This space for rent
#39iceachePosted 5/28/2012 1:12:43 PM
DPS DPS DPS

You need it. You're a wizard.

I have 15k Damage @ lvl 58, but i've been over 10k since 55.
#40NarcelesPosted 5/28/2012 1:14:26 PM(edited)

It says frozen OR chilled. I was under the impression that "chilled" meant being snared by blizzard's slowing effect.
---
"Narceles, don't try to argue or reason with hippies and commies." -menalaos1971
Lazarus threw the party. Lazarus threw the fight.