Barb - Highest DPS with the slowest weapon you can get?

#1EgniWerdnaPosted 5/31/2012 12:27:26 PM
I should probably rephrase.
As a barb (I'm 1h + shield because dying was too frequent..), should I be trying to get a slow weapon with lots of damage? Skill tooltips say % of WEAPON damage, not overall damage (the damage stat). Am I understanding that correctly?
If so, would it not make the most sense to get a slower weapon that has more DAMAGE. So like a slow weapon with 60 dps would be better than a fast weapon with 60 dps, right?
Whirlwind is based on your weapon's damage and doesn't seem to be affected by weapon speed. Is that correct as well?
Just looking for confirmation before I get too far and falsely think I'm getting something better.
Any other little-known or little-thought-about facts like that would be great as well if anybody wants to contribute. Thanks.
---
Hopefully all this mainstream success doesn't make pomegranate sell out. - TheLiarParadox
My band - www.facebook.com/fromfragileseeds Tell me if you like it.
#2DialatingPosted 5/31/2012 12:28:25 PM
Please share your barbarian wisdoms here!
#3EtharinPosted 5/31/2012 12:28:51 PM
Attack speed effects how fast the animations play and how fast you can use skills so it is not like that stat is completely useless as it does effect dps just not the amount of damage a single swing or attack deals.
#4popliyoPosted 5/31/2012 12:30:08 PM
Your abilities will hit harder with a higher weapon damage, yes. Whirlwind, for example, has a pretty set application rate, therefore the higher damage you are hitting for with your weapon the better.

That doesn't necessarily mean you need to just drop everything and switch to a 2h, though. Think about survivability, as it IS necessary.
---
trolls are stupid people who have tricked themselves into thinking that merely pretending to be an idiot is different from actually being an idiot. -Detsuaxhe
#5LegendoftheKOTRPosted 5/31/2012 12:32:11 PM
If you're using frenzy and WotB, attack speed would be more helpful. Since you get to take more advantage of the attack speed % boost.
---
PSN: xxThundergodxx
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thundergodxix?feature=mhee
#6djprofessork1Posted 5/31/2012 12:32:42 PM
Attack speed is pretty important on barb because a lot of your survivability comes through life steal or +life on hit items.

Also, don't use whirlwind, it sucks in this game sadly.
#7EgniWerdna(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 12:33:56 PM
Well I wasn't going to switch to 2h, just going to pay more attention to weapon damage, because before now I honestly never even looked at it. Just the big DPS number hah.
I'm only in A3 nm so I'm not that knowledgeable on the game yet and also havent really had huge struggles or needs to pay tons of attention, just trying to do the right things. If I have 2 items with the same DPS, I'll go for the slow one with high weapon damage I guess.
---
Hopefully all this mainstream success doesn't make pomegranate sell out. - TheLiarParadox
My band - www.facebook.com/fromfragileseeds Tell me if you like it.
#8Smokey MacPotPosted 5/31/2012 12:40:01 PM
djprofessork1 posted...
Attack speed is pretty important on barb because a lot of your survivability comes through life steal or +life on hit items.

I do believe with the correct gear WW is completely viable. There is a rune that gives life on crit while WWing, so if one were to get a lot of +crit% gear and use certain passives I could see WW being pretty boss. I was considering doing this myself, and I saw an inferno guide suggesting exactly this.
---
If you can read this, you are literate.
#9djprofessork1Posted 5/31/2012 12:42:55 PM
Smokey MacPot posted...
djprofessork1 posted...

I do believe with the correct gear WW is completely viable. There is a rune that gives life on crit while WWing, so if one were to get a lot of +crit% gear and use certain passives I could see WW being pretty boss. I was considering doing this myself, and I saw an inferno guide suggesting exactly this.

Hmm. I havent seen that. Thanks for the info i will have to check that out, i've really wanted to try and make Whirlwind work.