Why did Blizzard leave white items in game?

#1WiNGSPANTTPosted 6/3/2012 7:48:24 AM
From a design standpoint I don't understand why. After your character reaches level five they will never be equipped. As far as I know they can't have sockets. And since the crating process doesn't use them you can't even scrap them for something else.

I'm Diablo 2 white items could be crafted in the Horadric Cube. They could have sockets for making rune words or stacking certain mods.

In Path of Exile, you can reroll whites into magic or rare items. Or sell them for useful scroll pieces.

In Guild Wars 1 and 2 you can salvage crap items for crafting materials.

It just seems like poor design. Why didn't blizz make whites part of crafting? They could have taken the gold requirements out and instead required a base white item to create a magic item. Or be able to scrap whites into crafting materials or tomes.

Instead there is this whole class of items that serves zero purpose.
---
My site: http://www.TopTierTactics.com
T3 is all about extremely serious competitive gaming news & opinion articles.
#2MaiagarePosted 6/3/2012 7:49:41 AM
To make the blue and yellow drops more significant and "enjoyable". Like, all this crappy trash is dropping... but look, there's a blue! Yay!
#3NorthernDruidPosted 6/3/2012 7:50:38 AM
WiNGSPANTT posted...
They could have taken the gold requirements out and instead required a base white item to create a magic item.

I LOVE this idea. Suggest it to them directly.
---
The best plans are the ones that don't work unless you wing it along the way. -Skandrae
#4TimbermawPosted 6/3/2012 7:52:05 AM
A theory is that they'd be used on the (scrapped) mystic artisan. He would be able to socket items or add magical properties to items.

He is now coming on an expansion! Or maybe in a later patch.
---
Gamer Entitlement analyst, PhD.
#5MaplesGrandGMPosted 6/3/2012 7:52:37 AM
Maiagare posted...
To make the blue and yellow drops more significant and "enjoyable". Like, all this crappy trash is dropping... but look, there's a blue! Yay!

Cept, blues are so common without any magic find, that you literally only equip whites for like the first 10-20 minutes of the game.
#6EtharinPosted 6/3/2012 7:53:10 AM
In the beta you were able to use the mystic enchanter to enchant white items and also add a socket to any item. She was cut from the game right before release but we still rescue her in the spider queen quest in act 1.
#7Hard_BoiledPosted 6/3/2012 7:57:16 AM
They are a vestige of the past-like a rotten decayed appendix.

In D2 they were more useful because you could actually use white items craft without having to donate a couple of organs before you made anything useful.

Now, like you stated, useless. I hate having to empty them out of my inventory because I accidentally clicked on one.
---
i7-2600, 8GB RAM, GTX 580, Win7(64-bit)
#8Patriarch105Posted 6/3/2012 8:05:56 AM(edited)
There is a reason for the white items in game.

Magic Find.

From my understanding on how it works magic find does not increase the amount of items that spawn. BUT it INCREAES the chance the items will become valuable. Imagine if you have 300 magic find and kill a trash mob. THeres a chance the white items they drop will become blue, Yellow, Orange. Depending on a chance the magic find gives you.

Elite packs and bosses are usually garenteed blue and if you have the nephlem buff and high magic find then those blues will be upgraded too.

Its EXACTLY like gold find. Gold find doesn't increase the gold drop rate but INCREASES the amount of gold you get when it does drop.

The point is EVERY white item is just a failed attempt at getting a blue
---
Playing SSF4:AE + SFxT
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#9myztikricePosted 6/3/2012 8:14:42 AM
The point is there should not be grey and white items.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so ****in' hysterical.
#10Patriarch105Posted 6/3/2012 8:15:55 AM
They were originally going to be part of crafting.

BUT every useless item has the chance to be an orange provided you have high magic find.
---
Playing SSF4:AE + SFxT
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105