How to Monk Inferno!

#1Jordo_dPosted 6/8/2012 6:03:06 AM
Doing a quick little guide of my Monk in inferno!

~~~~~~~~
SKILLS
~~~~~~~~

Left Click - Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap
Right Click - Conviction Aura - Overawe

1- Blinding Flash - Faith in the Light
2- Breath of Heaven - Infused with Light
3- Serenity - Ascension
4- Sweeping Wind - Bladestorm

Passives - Resolve, One with Everything, Transcendence

~~~~~~~~
GEAR
~~~~~~~~

2x Weapons - look for Dexterity, Attack Speed...then life on hit or a socket for ur Amethysts

Rings & Ammy - Dexterity, Attack Speed, Life on Hit...then vit and resists if possible

Gloves- Dexterity, Attack Speed, one type resist, all resists...then vit if possible

Everything Else - Dexterity, Vitality, one type resist, all resists

TIP: No lower than 15% attack speed and +30 to either resist stat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
STATS TO SHOOT FOR BY ACT IV INFERNO
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Health - 50-60k
Damage - 23-28k
Armor - 3500
Dexterity - 1600

Life per Hit - 1000-1500
Attacks Per Second - 3.0-3.30
All resists - 600ish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOME EXPLANATION OF GEAR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So we already know that on the third strike of any combination attack, the mob gets interrupted and knocked up in the air a bit right? Well you want that to be happening as much as possible, so your going to need to get that attack speed up!

Unfortunately daggers are the fastest weapons in the game...with fist weapons .1 attacks per second behind....so if you can't find daggers, fist weapons will be okay....but daggers are best! As you can tell from above we get to 3.25% attacks per second....so your doing ur three attack combo every second, which is disrupting all enemies every second. This is a god send to survive in inferno!

On top of that god send is your life per hit...unfortunately, fists of thunder only benefits of 75% of your life per hit stat for each hit....so even though your at 1k...your only getting back 750 life per hit. However, with 3 attacks per second, your getting back 2250 health per second.

In a perfect world, your auto attack will be interrupting all monsters that are trying to attack you. However just in case one gets an attack through, you have your armor, dodge, and resists to back you up.

Also, the reason you double dip resists is because of One with Everything. It makes your highest resist, the resists for all elements. So if i have +45 Cold Resists and +45 All resists on an item....that is +90 resists to EVERYTHING!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HOW TO MONK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So the bulk of this build is:

A) Keep Sweeping Wind Up
B) Fists of Thunder Spam
C) Spam Conviction Aura's 3 sec activation up (passive healz thru Transcendence)

Usually what you want to do, is hit Conviction Aura every time your about to cap on Spirit

If there is a mob of enemies surrounding you, use blinding flash, back off and keep them all in front of you. DO NOT get surrounded, you WILL die.

If you need heals, hit breath of heaven, which also gives you massive spirit regen thanks to the rune....so if you need A LOT of heals, hit breath of heaven, and spam Conviction Aura to have Transcendence heal you as well.

If you get frozen, hooked, vortexed, or pretty much anything else....and you think you will get one shot or die from multiple hits....hit serenity and GTFO....or burst the enemy down ASAP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thats pretty much it...heading to bed atm, if anyone has any questions, i'll do my best to answer them when i get up :D Hope you have fun with the build!
---
Now Playing: LoL, WoW, KH: BBS
My Next Titles: Diablo 3, GW2, KH: 3D, Borderlands 2,
#2Jordo_d(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 6:03:21 AM
RESERVED
---
#3Jordo_d(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 6:04:13 AM
RESERVED
---
#4ConfuseddPosted 6/8/2012 6:18:54 AM(edited)
No wonder my monk who has 600 res all with over 3000 armor, had 1000 life on hit, and about 2.5 attacks per second could barely tank Act 1 elites (the tougher ones that lay spam AoE ground everywhere) ... I've been using him wrong all along :-((

and you're saying, 600 res all is enough for the entire game :o

BTW it was a full game, could it be the damage scaling that caused my problems? Do monster's damage output scale up with more players as well ?
#5Jordo_d(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 6:30:18 AM(edited)
Confusedd posted...
No wonder my monk who has 600 res all with over 3000 armor, had 1000 life on hit, and about 2.5 attacks per second could barely tank Act 1 elites (the tougher ones that lay spam AoE ground everywhere) ... I've been using him wrong all along :-((

and you're saying, 600 res all is enough for the entire game :o

BTW it was a full game, could it be the damage scaling that caused my problems? Do monster's damage output scale up with more players as well ?

well obviously your not supposed to stand in stuff on the ground or get hit....thats gaming 101

if you stand in something that is slowly damaging you....you WILL die...plain and simple

the resists, armor, dodge, and health are all there in case your failing at not getting hit

another thing....is you don't 'tank' in this game like MMO 'tanking'....in inferno, you will NEVER be standing in the same spot just spamming ur attacks like you did in normal, nightmare, and early Hell difficulty

you will have to melee kite some mobs out of the AoE ground attacks, and the laser light shows from Arcane Enchanted
---
#6Jordo_d(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 1:26:47 PM
bump
---
#7AllGodsDiePosted 6/8/2012 1:33:29 PM(edited)
http://i.imgur.com/vLGcf.jpg

Gear examples
#8TheWarhammeronlPosted 6/8/2012 1:39:50 PM
Health - 50-60k
Damage - 23-28k
Armor - 3500
Dexterity - 1600

Life per Hit - 1000-1500
All resists - 600ish

Um, no duh. Any monk can take down like anything in Act2 with any build with those stats.

60k HP AND 25k+ dps AND 600 resists AND over 1k Life on hit?

The problem is not that monks don't know how to do it.

But seriously getting THAT much of each of those stats will easily run you 10+ mill at the very very least.

That is the problem.
---
"Your opinion doesn't matter unless you support it with ACTUAL facts" Mr.Hoshaw 10th grade English teacher
#9steker16Posted 6/8/2012 1:45:17 PM
TheWarhammeronl posted...
Health - 50-60k
Damage - 23-28k
Armor - 3500
Dexterity - 1600

Life per Hit - 1000-1500
All resists - 600ish

Um, no duh. Any monk can take down like anything in Act2 with any build with those stats.

60k HP AND 25k+ dps AND 600 resists AND over 1k Life on hit?

The problem is not that monks don't know how to do it.

But seriously getting THAT much of each of those stats will easily run you 10+ mill at the very very least.

That is the problem.

uhh he said act 4, not act 2
---
nomnomnom
#10SlaynPosted 6/8/2012 1:48:12 PM
Why do people like FoT so much over Deadly Reach's improved defense or damage %?